Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite 3 suburbs in Adelaide?

What are your favorite 3 suburbs in Adelaide?

Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

sunny side will become famous soon enough
Default What are your favorite 3 suburbs in Adelaide?

Hi,

We find it extremely difficult to choose a suburb. I know it is always best to see for ourselves before we decide anything but information is vital.

Pls helps us and share your views

1) What are your favorite 3 suburbs?
2) Things you consider in a suburb? space, beach, leafy, school, shops, distance.....
3) Positive and negative things about the suburb?

I hope this will help many people like us who are planning the move to Adelaide.

Thanks very much

Mari
Old Dec 27th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What are your favorite 3 suburbs in Adelaide?

Originally Posted by sunny side
Hi,

We find it extremely difficult to choose a suburb. I know it is always best to see for ourselves before we decide anything but information is vital.

2) Things you consider in a suburb? space, beach, leafy, school, shops, distance.....

I hope this will help many people like us who are planning the move to Adelaide.

Thanks very much

Mari
Sorry never been to Adelaide but would like to know what others think so just bumping your thread.

Our friends live in Wynn Vale and love it, he is a policeman not far from where they live and it must be good and have a low crime rate or he wouldn't live there.

Tina
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

This will probably get more replies in the Australia general section.
You could also try http://www.adelaide-brits.com/forum
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:15 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks very much

Mari
Think you need to get this moved into the General section!!

But ours are Greenwith, Golden Grove & Wynn Vale!

Because it is a great area loads to do, low crime, eacy access to everything, great schools etc etc etc etc
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough

We lived in Somerton Park / Glenelg and simply loved it. I reckon thats the best suburb (slightly expensive though) in Adelaide.

Hi,

Thanks very much

Mari
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:11 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Glengowrie/Glenelg and love it.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I would say that number one thing when choosing a place to live is work. If you work in the North as I do it would make no sense to live in South.

Than add the commute time/distance and you get the general area.

Next is schools and for that reason I would rather live in a smaller house in an area with good schools than in a bigger/nicer one but in an area where the local school is not.
And to be honest better schools are in the "nicer" suburbs.

When we have arrived we have rented a small house in Kensington (very nice and cenvenient, catchment of a good school but expensive to buy and a bit cramped) and than looked for a long time in the surrounding suburbs until a place we liked came up.
(managed to get the daughter into a privet school so had a bit more choice).
Now we live in Wattle Park with great view, nice house (1970s, double brick), quiet, neighbours houses are much more than a meter from your fence, plenty of wild birds including a peacock in our garden.

Loving it.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghanghro
We lived in Somerton Park / Glenelg and simply loved it. I reckon thats the best suburb (slightly expensive though) in Adelaide.
We lived in Somerton Park, before moving to Gold Coast, Its very nice area, close to all type of transport, shops & it has very good schooling, very close to beach.
but its a bit expensive than other suburbs.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:48 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Onkapringa Hills for me.

Lived here for 7.5 years and it suits us down to the ground.
Population wise it is fairly small.

It is divided into two bits really.There is the Huntingdale Estate which was built mainly in the 90's,quality houses on big blocks. Then there are the smallholding/hobby farms on the other side of and above Upper Penneys Hill Road (we live here on 2.5 acres).

Love the rural feel but close for the beach/schools and all amenities.

Downside I suppose is 35 mins from the city ( which we rarely need to visit) and a lack of a boozer in walking distance.

I can't think of any other suburbs I'd like to live in at the moment.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My aussie friend moved up here from Greenwith and she loved it there, really quiet area and quite picturesque.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know, I can't think of just three suburbs that I like. Adelaide has so many, and they are all different.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:12 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
I would say that number one thing when choosing a place to live is work. If you work in the North as I do it would make no sense to live in South.

Than add the commute time/distance and you get the general area.

Next is schools and for that reason I would rather live in a smaller house in an area with good schools than in a bigger/nicer one but in an area where the local school is not.
And to be honest better schools are in the "nicer" suburbs.

When we have arrived we have rented a small house in Kensington (very nice and cenvenient, catchment of a good school but expensive to buy and a bit cramped) and than looked for a long time in the surrounding suburbs until a place we liked came up.
(managed to get the daughter into a privet school so had a bit more choice).
Now we live in Wattle Park with great view, nice house (1970s, double brick), quiet, neighbours houses are much more than a meter from your fence, plenty of wild birds including a peacock in our garden.

Loving it.
Second vote for the eastern suburbs. We did the same as you to get daughters into good schools and rented in Marryatville. Lovely, leafy suburbs in the east with great cafe culture and close proximity to city.
Ended up buying in the west tho, Glengowrie/Glenelg as wanted to be close to the beach. Girls still attend the same schools, which are a half hour drive, west to east. But there are good schools this side too. Enjoyed having gained the experience of two great locations, although clearly there are dozens more.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:13 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

My mate lives in Flagstaff hill(s) ? ( i think thats it ) and he loves it there

Lee
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Wendy ...many lovely suburbs. I do like Onkaparinga Hills but before moving to Perth I lived in Willunga, just gorgeous
A bit far for commuting though
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Adelaide for almost 2 years a few years ago.

3 faves in order

Blackwood
Glenelg
Coromandel Valley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.