British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What are you putting off???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-you-putting-off-197161/)

leanda Dec 16th 2003 2:08 pm

What are you putting off????

OK application been in since July, obviously won't hear anything from Adelaide for a few more years, so just wondering is anybody else putting off doing things or buying things until you find out if you have been accepted, list of things that I haven't done in the last couple of months " just in case ".

1. Buying a DVD - whats the point, just something else to take or maybe not even work when we get over there, unfortunately videos to rent out at our local " Blockbusters " are now a dying breed and its so tempting to buy a cheapie dvd just to have more choice.

2. Mobile Phone - I know some work but I hope I can last out with my old one till we eventually go.

3. Jumpers - Making do with last years, hoping to settle in Brisbane so too many jumpers might not be needed.

4. Fridge - Hate my horrible small fridge want a nice big fat one with the ice thingy but trying to hold on in for another year, its going to have its work cut out for it over the next few weeks.

And the family tradition of booking the two weeks in the sun has not been booked for next year, seems weird but who knows where we are going to be.

So what have you put off????:D

S Oldfield Dec 16th 2003 2:38 pm

Im on the same wave length as you.

havent booked a family holiday for this summer as am hoping not too be here!

As soon as we get our visas we are off. none of this making atrip to validate. Oh no. Our trip will be one way only.

Also have found cant afford a holiday this year.
With the cost of the application, then the cost of meds (x 4 for us) there is no way we can also pay for 2 weeks on the Costa.

Anyway I am hoping for bigger and better beaches on the other side of the world

CHnJ Dec 16th 2003 2:45 pm

Re: What are you putting off????

Originally posted by leanda
OK application been in since July, obviously won't hear anything from Adelaide for a few more years, so just wondering is anybody else putting off doing things or buying things until you find out if you have been accepted, list of things that I haven't done in the last couple of months " just in case ".

1. Buying a DVD - whats the point, just something else to take or maybe not even work when we get over there, unfortunately videos to rent out at our local " Blockbusters " are now a dying breed and its so tempting to buy a cheapie dvd just to have more choice.

2. Mobile Phone - I know some work but I hope I can last out with my old one till we eventually go.

3. Jumpers - Making do with last years, hoping to settle in Brisbane so too many jumpers might not be needed.

4. Fridge - Hate my horrible small fridge want a nice big fat one with the ice thingy but trying to hold on in for another year, its going to have its work cut out for it over the next few weeks.

And the family tradition of booking the two weeks in the sun has not been booked for next year, seems weird but who knows where we are going to be.

Buy a cheapie multi-region DVD and take it with you.

Get an "unlocked" mobile here to save you cash at the other end as Aussie phones tend not to be subsidised.

Take Jumpers for the bottom of the wardrobe as when it's cold it's surprisingly cold, and they usually don't build homes to keep the heat in!!

I'm putting off buying the flights as it's too daunting trying to get the best deal. We're taking Thursday night to get a wallpaper roll and make our to-do list and then we'll use a wall planner ... (can feel my pulse rate rising already!)

Larissa Dec 16th 2003 2:48 pm

Re: What are you putting off????

Originally posted by leanda

Spent ages thretting about whether to buy a hoover - especially since it would be hard to get past aqis. Then we saw a cheap £20 jobbie in Asda, so I didn't feel so bad chucking out the old one! (Which Blim had repaired so that you had to get a screwdriver out to open up and change the bag!
:scared: )
Larissa
Putting off having final sprog until the medical! :eek:

Pollster Dec 16th 2003 2:52 pm

My life at the moment!!

Cos we are supposed to be leaving in mid-Feb ( if the visas come through!) everything is - 'oh there is no point cos we are going soon'

Feeling very limbo-ish :(

S Oldfield Dec 16th 2003 3:01 pm

When did you apply Pollstar

Badge Dec 16th 2003 3:32 pm

Most DVDs are crackable to make them multi-region anyhow.

And I will probably continue to order Region 1 and 2 from overseas.

On my 'put off' list, is new jeans, shirts and fleece as I will be getting them in the US on our way over.

Badge

Pollster Dec 16th 2003 3:51 pm

Originally posted by S Oldfield
When did you apply Pollstar

Only a couple of weeks ago for a temporary work visa just to get us over to NZ so Hubby can start work in his new job on March 1 - once we arrive we will apply for PR via the new SMC - I feel really unjustified in feeling like this because I know some people have waited for months - even years - but I just do!

tinaj Dec 16th 2003 3:55 pm

We were going to put off buying a DVD but we bought a multi region instead. If you have a Richer Sounds shop near you they sell all of their models as multi region for an extra 10 or £20. You will struggle to get any in Currys.

I would just put off buying the big appliances as they are too difficult to take.

I know what you mean about jumpers! Unfortunately my warm coat got packed last week so I had to go and buy one yesterday as it was so cold!! Never mind I am sure it will get some use out there.

nosuchluck Dec 16th 2003 4:08 pm

life

our lives feel like they are on hold! only put in our app at the beginning of October but can't even plan anything and if one more person asks 'have you got a date yet' i will scream!
just emailed our agent and asked if we should book meds/police checks for the end of January and he replied ' probably best to wait as doing them early means you'll have less time to get to Australia' ....good!!!! where's that phone book!
regards
rach & family :rolleyes:

fimart Dec 16th 2003 4:17 pm

Things being put off

We are treating this Christmas like it is the last one in UK.
We are not bothering to buy a DVD as we have a playstation 2 and that will do.
We are not buying anymore winter clothes. the ones we have will have to do this year.
We are not buying anything remotely housish. if it breaks it breaks. If it is something essential like a fridge we will probably buy a cheapy or borrow someone's bar fridge if they would be so kind.
We are generally starting to live a bit in limbo as when you know you are leaving (if not when you are leaving) it is very difficult to not get annoyed at things that you would normally tolerate.
I must remember though that 6 years ago when i left Australia to be with my now husband I spent the last 10 weeks wishing my time away. I should have spent more time with friends etc so this time going back the other way I am going to make an effort to see more of my friends and family here.

scutterUK Dec 16th 2003 4:19 pm

I've been putting off entering into any kind of relationship until i know if i'm going to get my visa or not. Up to now this hasn't been a problem. However my plans have gone a bit pare shaped as i've been asked out by 3 different girls this week!! Typical eh? Of course i had to accept all 3... :scared:

Sorry i'm still suffering from shock. :D

Badge Dec 16th 2003 4:49 pm

typical isn't it - just like Buses...

scutterUK Dec 16th 2003 6:14 pm

Originally posted by badgersmount
typical isn't it - just like Buses...
my thoats exactly.... i don't want anyone thinking they're an easy ride though... not doncaster busses anyway.

WBB Dec 16th 2003 6:16 pm

Originally posted by scutterUK
I've been putting off entering into any kind of relationship until i know if i'm going to get my visa or not. Up to now this hasn't been a problem. However my plans have gone a bit pare shaped as i've been asked out by 3 different girls this week!! Typical eh? Of course i had to accept all 3... :scared:

Sorry i'm still suffering from shock. :D

you lucky bastard !

:scared: