Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you, where would go?

View Poll Results: What would you, where would go?
The Gold Coast, Broadbeach, a furnished apartment at $450.00 per week.
38.46%
Brisbane CBD, New Farm, a furnished apartment at $600.00 per week.
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

What would you, where would go?

Old May 7th 2012, 2:49 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default What would you, where would go?

You are initially staying only for six months, so require fully furnished apartment. Cheaper to rent a fully furnished place; than to buy furniture in the short term.
The scenario, you are arriving in Australia in June 2012, a couple, no children, no pets, two adults, mid forties. You have a choice between the two options I gave on the poll. One half will earn approximately between $800 and $900 a week after stoppages. The second other half is unskilled, so will be looking for any kind of work to supplement the primary wage, so to help with rent and living costs.
You can either, head to the Gold Coast, rents are cheaper, so in hindsight, could live on the primary wage for a period of time. But the work situation on the Gold Coast is pretty dire for the second unskilled half, I ask?
You head to Brisbane CBD, New Farm; rents are $150 a week higher. But the chances of picking up some work, whether casual or temp are far greater. So the increased chances of work, allows you to pay higher rents? But should you not find work, you are stuck in a high rent area, struggling to pay the living costs after the rent is paid?

What would you do?
Old May 7th 2012, 11:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you, where would go?

Out of interest, why have you picked on Broadbeach? If you could find a furnished apartment/townhouse type thing at the North end of the GC, or at least on the train line, that would possibly cost inbetween the two prices whilst also giving you both the opportunity of finding work in either place.
Old May 8th 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

I voted GC but only because I like it as a place to live, MP is right, Northern GC brings both into play, if you want be near the water anywhere from Southport to Paradise point, the further north the better for Bris commute (but you'll spend $100 pw on fuel or train fares).
Old May 8th 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Why pay so much? You are talking over 50% to 75% of your wages on rent!

You can live in many cheaper places for less than half those figures fairly near by until you sort yourselves out. I couldnt pay that much out without you both having work...
Old May 8th 2012, 11:52 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Out of interest, why have you picked on Broadbeach? If you could find a furnished apartment/townhouse type thing at the North end of the GC, or at least on the train line, that would possibly cost inbetween the two prices whilst also giving you both the opportunity of finding work in either place.
I like Broadbeach Pen, its night life, over 40's, close to the beach, nice walks, no need for taxi's, do not like driving, just like it. If i am going to live on the Gold Coast, well i want to be minutes from the ocean.

But i get your point. But i would never commute to CBD from the Gold Coast, its time wasted travelling which i do not get paid for. Its bad enough being at work while being paid. I do not like getting to and from work and not getting paid for this/my valuable time.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by coldbeer
I voted GC but only because I like it as a place to live, MP is right, Northern GC brings both into play, if you want be near the water anywhere from Southport to Paradise point, the further north the better for Bris commute (but you'll spend $100 pw on fuel or train fares).
Thanks, but cummuting for me is a no no, as i pointed out on my reply to Pen's post....
Old May 8th 2012, 11:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
I like Broadbeach Pen, its night life, over 40's, close to the beach, nice walks, no need for taxi's, do not like driving, just like it. If i am going to live on the Gold Coast, well i want to be minutes from the ocean.
That all makes sense I still have no idea how I'd vote though.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Why pay so much? You are talking over 50% to 75% of your wages on rent!

Links to these cheap places, i need fully furnished, quiet, good quality, two bedrooms, i spend alot of time at home, believe me the quality we want, they are the costs associated, i have looked.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Just had a eureka moment. Doub has a furnished 2 bed apartment in Broadbeach - I should have remembered, I'm always having to tell him off for publicising it Anyway, PM or email him and see if he can do anything for you.

Edit, don't bother with the apartment link, it's suspended but from memory it's not a bad looking place and in a great spot.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Links to these cheap places, i need fully furnished, quiet, good quality, two bedrooms, i spend alot of time at home, believe me the quality we want, they are the costs associated, i have looked.
Why do you need fully furnished?

Cant you get a cheaper place and build up as you go along?
Old May 8th 2012, 1:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Why do you need fully furnished?

Cant you get a cheaper place and build up as you go along?
Only staying six months Might stay longer, but not until we are certain its for us. So no big cash outlay till we are certain....

$100 bucks a week more for furnished at most @26 weeks is $2600, far easier to walk away, and cheaper than even having all the hassle of finding second hand stuff...
Old May 9th 2012, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So this is to try it out and if a successful try out involves getting work, then I think you need to go where you are (both) more likely to find work, which sounds like it would be the Brisbane one.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So this is to try it out and if a successful try out involves getting work, then I think you need to go where you are (both) more likely to find work, which sounds like it would be the Brisbane one.
Yep, but currently 4 to 7 in favour of CBD, its a close call, just wish i knew what the job situation is like CBD for unskilled migrants. Also how long till the super hospital is looking for new staff on the Gold Coast, two big things...
Old May 9th 2012, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Yep, but currently 4 to 7 in favour of CBD, its a close call, just wish i knew what the job situation is like CBD for unskilled migrants. Also how long till the super hospital is looking for new staff on the Gold Coast, two big things...
Super hospital? lol. They've been hiring for a while as far as I know but they've probably run out of money.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Super hospital? lol. They've been hiring for a while as far as I know but they've probably run out of money.
Is it more of a non super hospital, have they really been hiring already, did not think it opened till Dec 12?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.