Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:41 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

It was just a question, because we are doing the GOR next Friday for 3 days, and then up to Ballarat. If its worth it, we might take a detour.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:50 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by furkew
It was just a question, because we are doing the GOR next Friday for 3 days, and then up to Ballarat. If its worth it, we might take a detour.
We went from from the GOR to Ballarat and stopped at the Fly on the way. I thought it was worth the stop but might have been disappointed if it was the raison d'etre of the trip. It was a long time ago and I don't remember feeling ripped off but I don't have the feeling that it was good value for money either. I would say stop if you have the time but don't sue me if you don't like it . My lasting impression is the pattern of the huge ferns from above.

It's hard to tell sometimes. I remember reading reviews of Puffing Billy on something like Trip Advisor and most people were slagging it off. I think it's a great ride from Belgrave to Lakeside. But I was wondering if a lot of the comments come from the tour groups who only go from the Belgrave to the 1st station (the name I can't remember). I could see people thinking less of the trip if that is all they did.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:10 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I think it probably wouldnt be too exciting for us, as we are always driving through the forest here in the Dandenongs, and have Mt Dandenong sky high just around the corner.

We also have masses of birdlife on our doorstep all year round.

I think you might be right about puffing billy. You need to stop at Emerald and have a picnick or barbie to really enjoy it I feel. Also where a lot of people make a mistake, its an open train, and it can get bloody cold in the forst/hill up here. My wife did her first puffing billy run on a cool day in light clothing, and she absolutely froze
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by furkew
I think it probably wouldnt be too exciting for us, as we are always driving through the forest here in the Dandenongs, and have Mt Dandenong sky high just around the corner.

We also have masses of birdlife on our doorstep all year round.

I think you might be right about puffing billy. You need to stop at Emerald and have a picnick or barbie to really enjoy it I feel. Also where a lot of people make a mistake, its an open train, and it can get bloody cold in the forst/hill up here. My wife did her first puffing billy run on a cool day in light clothing, and she absolutely froze
Skyhigh is good. I've taken a few people up there with a stop at Grants Picnic Ground on the way.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:34 am
Going for a ride

QUOTE=MartinLuther;8359832]Skyhigh is good. I've taken a few people up there with a stop at Grants Picnic Ground on the way.[/QUOTE]

but stop at safeways in Belgrave and buy a big bag of birdseed for $5.00 first instead of paying $1.00 for a tiny paperbag fullthats gone in 30 seconds

Last edited by furkew; Feb 20th 2010 at 6:43 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Yeah. I stopped at our local pet store and asked if they had a small box of bird seed. They told me that the smallest bad they sold was 5kg. I started to leave and then asked "how much?"
"$8".
"I'll take it."

I've still got about 4kgs left but it'll be handy for the next trip or five.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:55 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Yeah. I stopped at our local pet store and asked if they had a small box of bird seed. They told me that the smallest bad they sold was 5kg. I started to leave and then asked "how much?"
"$8".
"I'll take it."

I've still got about 4kgs left but it'll be handy for the next trip or five.
one of our kids put our bag of birdseed on the floor and forgot about it for a couple of minutes. It was probably about 2-3 kg of seed.

about 500 cocky's & rosella's later there wasn't much to take home
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:09 am
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Reasonable
We will have overseas visitors new to Melbourne and have arranged to drive them down the Great Ocean Road with an overnight stay at Apollo Bay. We also have a whole day to look around the centre of Melbourne. What would you recommend is on that itinerary – preferable reached on foot or by tram?

Any ideas welcome.
Healesville Sanctuary.
Melbourne Museum.
Vic Market.
The Dandenong Ranges - Miss Marple's Tea Rooms for example.
Eureka edge experience/Rialto viewing deck.

Stuff like that.