Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:58 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 91
Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough
Default What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

We will have overseas visitors new to Melbourne and have arranged to drive them down the Great Ocean Road with an overnight stay at Apollo Bay. We also have a whole day to look around the centre of Melbourne. What would you recommend is on that itinerary – preferable reached on foot or by tram?

Any ideas welcome.
Reasonable is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:58 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

You live in Melbourne?

Mornington & Sorrento
St Kilda
Dandenongs
Vineyards
Healsville
Footy Game

Tour of the CBD would include
Federation Square
SouthBank
The Lanes
QV Market
NGV
..... list goes on and on, depends on the age of your visitors what attractions might interest them.
Weird Fish is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:28 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,808
wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

The view in the rearview mirror heading north up the Hume Highway ??
wanderingwombat is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:02 am
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Some suggestions in here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545316

This may be useful as well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574929

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 18th 2010 at 10:06 am.
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:19 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,855
mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

A ride on the puffing Billy scenic train ride through the Dangenong mountains

A walk through The Melbounre Botonic gardens, probably the best Botonic gradens in OZ and Fitzroy gardens nearby to see Captain Cooks Cottage.

A short trip to the coastal town of Queenscliffe just outside melbounre
mohogony is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:08 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

I would take them through the laneways...from Flinders (between Swanston and Elizabeth) you can head north (start on Degraves I think?) through a series of lanes and arcades and then turn around inside the Melbourne GPO and follow a different set back until you end up near where you started as if tracing an upside down U shape. You go through a great range of places with fantastic shops, grafitti art, architecture, whole in the wall cafe's, fashion etc. Brilliant and very unique to Melbourne.

I would also not miss the State Library of Victoria Reading Room: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...floor_view.jpg

I would skip Docklands personally.

Eureka Tower is good for getting an overview of Melbourne. Could do The Edge: http://www.eurekaskydeck.com.au/the-edge.asp

You could organise a Melbourne Greeter to take you around as a group for free: http://thatsmelbourne.com.au/Getting...erService.aspx

Some people love the Tram Restaurant: http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/

Botanical Gardens is nice - has a great kids playground with water play and a bunch of other historic homes: http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/rbg-melbou...ildrens-garden

St Pats blue stone Cathedral: http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.344468...x550,075,f.jpg

Bring them to Young and Jackson Hotel to see the famous naked lady: http://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/chloe.html

The toilets at the Sofitel: http://www.tripandom.com/australia/m...t-toilet-view/

Some CBD shops to check out:

o Aesop in Flinders Lane - shop made totally from cardboard: http://www.notempire.com/images/uploads/chaesop.jpg
o Gog and Magog in the Royal Arcade: http://studenttravel.about.com/od/me...yal-Arcade.htm
o Upstairs at Koko Black, Royal Arcade for indulgent hot chocolate, ice coffee, chocolates etc.: http://www.xes.cx/pics/melb09-kokoblack-1.JPG
o Lunch/Dinner at Ca De Vin Italian restaurant in the laneway adjacent to GPO: http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...B36182EA99E5E/ (best pizza ever!!)
o Laurent patisserie: http://melbella.com/wp-content/uploa...48066_1_fs.jpg

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 18th 2010 at 2:48 pm.
fish.01 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:53 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
2plus3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 86
2plus3 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Great thread; I've noted all these places down as it will be great to explore all of them ourselves after we arrive
2plus3 is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:30 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

The golden mile is a great way of seeing the architecture of Melly. Pick up a guide booklet from the immigration museum (about $8 - I think). But be aware that it is more than a mile of walking.
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:39 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 91
Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I would take them through the laneways...from Flinders (between Swanston and Elizabeth) you can head north (start on Degraves I think?) through a series of lanes and arcades and then turn around inside the Melbourne GPO and follow a different set back until you end up near where you started as if tracing an upside down U shape. You go through a great range of places with fantastic shops, grafitti art, architecture, whole in the wall cafe's, fashion etc. Brilliant and very unique to Melbourne.

I would also not miss the State Library of Victoria Reading Room: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...floor_view.jpg

I would skip Docklands personally.

Eureka Tower is good for getting an overview of Melbourne. Could do The Edge: http://www.eurekaskydeck.com.au/the-edge.asp

You could organise a Melbourne Greeter to take you around as a group for free: http://thatsmelbourne.com.au/Getting...erService.aspx

Some people love the Tram Restaurant: http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/

Botanical Gardens is nice - has a great kids playground with water play and a bunch of other historic homes: http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/rbg-melbou...ildrens-garden

St Pats blue stone Cathedral: http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.344468...x550,075,f.jpg

Bring them to Young and Jackson Hotel to see the famous naked lady: http://www.youngandjacksons.com.au/chloe.html

The toilets at the Sofitel: http://www.tripandom.com/australia/m...t-toilet-view/

Some CBD shops to check out:

o Aesop in Flinders Lane - shop made totally from cardboard: http://www.notempire.com/images/uploads/chaesop.jpg
o Gog and Magog in the Royal Arcade: http://studenttravel.about.com/od/me...yal-Arcade.htm
o Upstairs at Koko Black, Royal Arcade for indulgent hot chocolate, ice coffee, chocolates etc.: http://www.xes.cx/pics/melb09-kokoblack-1.JPG
o Lunch/Dinner at Ca De Vin Italian restaurant in the laneway adjacent to GPO: http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...B36182EA99E5E/ (best pizza ever!!)
o Laurent patisserie: http://melbella.com/wp-content/uploa...48066_1_fs.jpg

Thanks to all for your inputs. I am gathering ideas for walking/tramming around the centre
Reasonable is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:07 am
  #10  
pink 'n' bouncy
 
stuckinblighty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Zombie nation
Posts: 6,087
stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Show them around the parks of Noble and Hampton...the lovely shopping areas of Dandenong and have a saturday Night out down at Frankston.
That'll sure impress anyone

stuckinblighty is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:13 am
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty View Post
Show them around the parks of Noble and Hampton...the lovely shopping areas of Dandenong and have a saturday Night out down at Frankston.
That'll sure impress anyone

I can see where you're going wrong.
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:21 am
  #12  
Going for a ride
 
furkew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Monbulk, Victoria.
Posts: 2,838
furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Not easy if it's only tram, train or foot, but my parents are coming tomorrow for a month, and these are some of the things that we have on the agenda:

http://www.skyhighmtdandenong.com.au/

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=88

http://www.wineyarravalley.com/

http://www.qvm.com.au/

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/

http://www.visitphillipisland.com/

http://www.zoo.org.au/HealesvilleSanctuary

Vic market has this coming Wednesday night the last Suzuki market of the summer season. We'll be heading there, its a great evening out.
furkew is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:26 am
  #13  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Probably just add that people doing the Gt Ocean Rd might want to think about a diversion to the Otway Fly.
MartinLuther is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:33 am
  #14  
Going for a ride
 
furkew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Monbulk, Victoria.
Posts: 2,838
furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther View Post
Probably just add that people doing the Gt Ocean Rd might want to think about a diversion to the Otway Fly.
have you been yourself? The reviews arent very good that I have read.

Good but expensive‎
By Kaushal - 2 Jan 2010
The entry fee is a bit too much for this sort of thing. The engineering is beautiful but it would have been enthralling if from the tree top - one could see the ocean - but unfortunately that is not the case. Its something worth doing on your way but not something to look forward to specifically. The cafe there had no vegetarian options - so vegs dont bank on it...‎

maps.google.com
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
Forest area is nice but it is...‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 2 Dec 2009
The actual forest area is nice and the walkway is cool though there is not many birds/wildlife around though. For some reason they have put a dinosaur display in the forest in the first section. It looks like a last minute 'idea' and the ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
A huge waste of time.‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 18 Jul 2009
We visited the Otway Fly in January 2008. It was well constructed and should have been a good attraction. It turned out to be a huge disappointment, though. The entire time we were in the exhibit, we saw the grand total of 1 bird, ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
WOW!!‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 20 Apr 2009
I took my family to the Otway Fly, off the Great Ocean Road, over the Easter period. We used Turtons Track from Apollo Bay to get there and WOW, I've never seen tree ferns that big or lush. The Fly was busy but that didn't stop us from ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
otway fly‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 4 Mar 2009
We thought the otway fly was reasonalbe but thank God the good people at the Gelibrand Store where we stopped on the way for directions tole us to go to triplet falls after the fly. It made the day worth while to see the water falls as well. ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
furkew is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:37 am
  #15  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,316
MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you show visitors to Melbourne?

Originally Posted by furkew View Post
have you been yourself? The reviews arent very good that I have read.

Good but expensive‎
By Kaushal - 2 Jan 2010
The entry fee is a bit too much for this sort of thing. The engineering is beautiful but it would have been enthralling if from the tree top - one could see the ocean - but unfortunately that is not the case. Its something worth doing on your way but not something to look forward to specifically. The cafe there had no vegetarian options - so vegs dont bank on it...‎

maps.google.com
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
Forest area is nice but it is...‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 2 Dec 2009
The actual forest area is nice and the walkway is cool though there is not many birds/wildlife around though. For some reason they have put a dinosaur display in the forest in the first section. It looks like a last minute 'idea' and the ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
A huge waste of time.‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 18 Jul 2009
We visited the Otway Fly in January 2008. It was well constructed and should have been a good attraction. It turned out to be a huge disappointment, though. The entire time we were in the exhibit, we saw the grand total of 1 bird, ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
WOW!!‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 20 Apr 2009
I took my family to the Otway Fly, off the Great Ocean Road, over the Easter period. We used Turtons Track from Apollo Bay to get there and WOW, I've never seen tree ferns that big or lush. The Fly was busy but that didn't stop us from ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
otway fly‎
By A TripAdvisor Member - 4 Mar 2009
We thought the otway fly was reasonalbe but thank God the good people at the Gelibrand Store where we stopped on the way for directions tole us to go to triplet falls after the fly. It made the day worth while to see the water falls as well. ...‎

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...61656-d482078-...
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No
I thought it was worth a divert but maybe not a specific trip. Can't remember how much it cost; I went in 2005.
MartinLuther is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.