Reload this Page >

What would you really do????

What would you really do????

Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What would you really do????

Just go!!!
Having lived abroad alot, I think you need to give anywhere at least a year & give it a proper go. If you don't like it, you can always go home. If you don't do it, for the rest of your life, you'll wonder 'what if....?'
Nowhere is perfect. You're always going to miss something, but it sounds to me like normal nerves.
I lived in oz for 6 years & can't wait to get back there (going this year). My personal opinion is that the things you hold most important - health, education etc are better in oz. Sometimes things seem better because they are familiar.
And if you're worried about feeling homesick for cold autumn days in suffolk, there are lots of places in SA & NSW that feel very english in winter - including St Kilda in Melbourne which is just like Felixstowe in suffolk - complete with beach huts, promenade, funfair and docks! That'll cure any homesickness....
One of my best friend's was a copper in oz - he loved it.
Go with your gut feeling and remember that nerves/fear feel very similar to the feeling of excitement....
Good luck!

Originally Posted by glittababe
Well after months of umming and aarring, we STILL can't make a decision on where to live, oz v's UK? Both countries have good and bad points. In the UK we both have good, well paid jobs, a nice house, a good school, fab local NHS and we live in an idyllic village in Suffolk. However, we've spent time in oz and, despite its problems, there's 'something' that tells me we should be living there. What we don't want to do is to make the wrong decision and end up regretting it and out of pocket! I've compiled lists of my pro's and cons for both countries!

Likes about the UK

The NHS (its good around here so I won't knock it)
Quality shops/goods at reasonable prices
Englands heritage! (little villages, tudor houses, small cobbled streets etc)
The lushness
The seasons (autum and all those lovely colours)
Pub lunches sat around a cosy fire chatting to friends I've known since I was a child.
Education -free, and again good around here
Low crime (again in this area)
Well paid jobs

Dislikes

Congestion of traffic in towns
'grey' drizzly days that seem to go on forever
Lack of control by the government on immigration
serious crime in other areas
'rudeness of some people' (thats my husbands bug bear)
lack of facilities for families/children

Likes of Oz

Facilities for families/children that are free and well maintained
Spectacular scenery
'outdoor' culture/lifestyle
alfresco dining
'friendly easy going people' (again husbands contribution)
larger housing and being able to build what we want
the unique wildlife
thunderstorms (I know, but they can be amazing)
wide roads

Dislikes

Cost of general living
Education standard
Healthcare costs
Huge telegraph poles everywhere
No fashion sense! (shell suits are definately NOT in!)
Humidity
Lack of decent hairdressers (plus they're expensive)

Think thats about it! So if you had the choice, where would you live????
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Re: What would you really do????

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
my eldest son is going to uni to study law ... it will cost £10,000 by the time he finishes in three years ... relatives with children in the same position in oz are looking at around the same amount of money just slightly more, but not enough to decided us against it.
For many people, having Uni cost the same in Oz as the UK means Oz is considerably more expensive - most people will earn much less in Oz.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jugsy
Go only if you think you have something to gain.
... or nothing to lose. Good point.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Glitterbabe,

Confusing isn't it? How long have you been back in the uk? I really feel for you both, it is a tough decision to make especially since you have already done it once.

Maybe the uk is where you are supposed to be, it maybe the fact that subconsiously you wonder if you gave oz a fair go in the first place.

We are heading back to the uk for lots of different reasons, without citizenship but have come to terms with this. I don't think I could personally go through all this again, the day I left my family was the hardest day in my life, I could not put them through it again. To lose us once was enough but twice.....

We probably will be back for holidays even if it is not for a while. We have met some great people here and still have places to see. But, that's it, I don't think it was ment to be and I don't think we will ever be back to live.

Anyway, that's my pennies worth,

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Mandy
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Glittababe,

I remember from one of your previous threads that, because of your dietary
requirements, your weekly food shopping bill in Australia (SE Queensland to
be precise) was $470. Have you taken that into consideration?

Your head and your heart are telling you different things, but you still
need to look at how practical it is for you and for your family. If the
education, health care, and general living expenses are, in your opinion,
much more costly in where you plan to live Oz than where you live in the UK, can you still justify the move for a dream?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:03 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
For many people, having Uni cost the same in Oz as the UK means Oz is considerably more expensive - most people will earn much less in Oz.
Well...if something costs the same in Oz as in the UK - eg 10,000 bucks and 10,000 pounds then Oz is cheaper for many, I would say. Careful, not everything.

You may be confusing this simple example with lower salaries in real terms for many other things where you are of course, right. Some private schools in Australia are quite cheap - thousands of dollars per year, rather than thousands of pounds per term when you earn more in dollars than pounds anyhow.

My cost calculation: I earn 3x in dollars what I earnt in pounds. Even in an average job I would earnt 2x. The people earning say GBP17,000 will earn say 28,000-35000 here. The people earning GBP30,000 may earn 60-80k here.
My personal salary factor is three.

Then I look at the cost in dollars compared to pounds. If this cost factor is more the salary factor, then Aussie is more expensive. *Approximately*

So in *some* areas I do believe Australia to be cheaper, for just about anyone.

True, in [many] other areas, Australia ends up more expensive - eg white goods.

The secret is to, of course, forget exchange rates, and look at the purchasing power of your dollar in *every* situation you get in to. It *will* vary. I read of people who have been here years and they still convert using the FX rate.

Badge

Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:09 pm
Badge

Even if you mean, by the "same", that, GBP 10,000 is AUS30,000 then...

Aussie is only more expensive if you are earning less than 3 times in Dollars what you earnt in Pounds. For me I would break even in this situation.

This model is BASIC. You have to take in to account hidden taxes.
And, even, then Valued Added components which may mean you don't care Aussie is more expensive.

ie. everywhere people pay a premium to be in the nice areas, but they don't care.

Badge

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

I would probably try for the 2 years to get the citizenship, it would be easier for your UK family anyway, if they knew your plan was to try it out and come back if it doesnt work. Your children sound like they are at the age to come back to their UK schools and go from there. We have been happy to rent our house out tho the 1st tennants were a nightmare-they're not all like that tho. I do envy those who can be sure Oz is for them, lock stock but there's good and bad in both places and I for one would want to leave my options open. At least at the end of 2 years you have the citizenship, and you would have given it a go even if you dont emigrate
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Glittababe,

I remember from one of your previous threads that, because of your dietary
requirements, your weekly food shopping bill in Australia (SE Queensland to
be precise) was $470. Have you taken that into consideration?

Your head and your heart are telling you different things, but you still
need to look at how practical it is for you and for your family. If the
education, health care, and general living expenses are, in your opinion,
much more costly in where you plan to live Oz than where you live in the UK, can you still justify the move for a dream?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Yep keep taking it into consideration, the soya milk and products are the problem as they're so expensive there, plus we have to get nut free products for eldest son. Husband is very concerned about the cost of groceries per week. He went on the Woolworths website and did a 'pretend' shop and again it came out at around $400 (and that wasn't including meat). Bulk buying might have to be the answer, or not bothering with milk products at all. Problem is I tried it before I left for oz and my weight dropped to 6st 3 (apparently I looked a 'bit' gaunt)!!! Had the soya stuff in oz and put the stone back on.Not having medibank insurance would reduce our outgoings per mth, but then do you risk it? We're looking at all kinds of cost cutting measures. any ideas?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Yep keep taking it into consideration, the soya milk and products are the problem as they're so expensive there, plus we have to get nut free products for eldest son. Husband is very concerned about the cost of groceries per week. He went on the Woolworths website and did a 'pretend' shop and again it came out at around $400 (and that wasn't including meat). Bulk buying might have to be the answer, or not bothering with milk products at all. Problem is I tried it before I left for oz and my weight dropped to 6st 3 (apparently I looked a 'bit' gaunt)!!! Had the soya stuff in oz and put the stone back on.Not having medibank insurance would reduce our outgoings per mth, but then do you risk it? We're looking at all kinds of cost cutting measures. any ideas?
With regards to missing family and friends, we got quite a mixed reception. My friends are great and have been there the whole time for us, through good and bad, but my family????? They complained like hell when we were in oz, my sister sent video phone messages to me daily with my niece saying "come home aunty annie we miss you" (pulled at the heart strings a bit), but when we did actually get back it was as if we'd stepped off the bus!!!! Ok we weren't expecting a welcoming committee, but a smile and a hug wouldn't have gone a miss! We began to question whether they really had missed us? In fairness the only person I missed was my mum in law, but we got over that with the odd phonecall. We've been back here a couple of months now and my dad who lives 19 miles away hasn't even seen us! I think I can safely say we're not as close as I originally thought!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

my family????? They complained like hell when we were in oz, my sister sent video phone messages to me daily with my niece saying "come home aunty annie we miss you" (pulled at the heart strings a bit), but when we did actually get back it was as if we'd stepped off the bus!!!! Ok we weren't expecting a welcoming committee, but a smile and a hug wouldn't have gone a miss! We've been back here a couple of months now and my dad who lives 19 miles away hasn't even seen us! I think I can safely say we're not as close as I originally thought!
That made me chuckle.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badge
Even if you mean, by the "same", that, GBP 10,000 is AUS30,000 then...

Aussie is only more expensive if you are earning less than 3 times in Dollars what you earnt in Pounds. For me I would break even in this situation.

This model is BASIC. You have to take in to account hidden taxes.
And, even, then Valued Added components which may mean you don't care Aussie is more expensive.

ie. everywhere people pay a premium to be in the nice areas, but they don't care.
Badge
Hi Badge

Yes, I took the comment about uni fees being "the same" in Oz as the UK to mean precisely that, eg, £10k/$25k or whatever the current exchange rate is.

I work in IT and I'm contracting now but as a permanent employee I was on £40k + car allowance. I'm looking for a permanent job now but find that salaries have stagnated or declined over the last few years so realistically I'm looking at say £38k outside London.

In Adelaide there are next to no IT jobs so I'd have to set up my own business or retrain and do something else entirely.

Just for comparison, I've seen suitable jobs in Melbourne but they're paying only around $50k. That's a very hefty drop. Can't see me sending 2 children to Uni on that.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

That made me chuckle.
Yes looking back it was hilarious (didn't laugh at the time)! Stepped off the plane in a vest top, skirt and thongs (family had said they'd bring the winter clothes), was expecting a scene out of 'love actually', familes who hadn't seen each other in months hugging and kissing etc etc but..........nope! In fact we stepped off the plane, cold, fed up and we waited for FIVE hours until a member of the family casually drove up and said "aright, waited long???" We then got to my sisters house (the one who'd begged me to come home), to find an air bed (no covers or sheet) squeezed into a bedroom (had to climb over box's to get to it) that five of us had to sleep on! We were so jet lagged we would have slept anywhere, (and I think my sister took advantage of this)! we only lasted a few days there before moving into rental accommodation (as tenants were in our house). After that it all went downhill! My other sister had arranged a boxing day buffet and invited 'all' the family but after two hours there was a massive slanging match going on between my dad and my sister! We sat quietly and contently in the corner sipping beer and giggling to ourselves thinking "is this really happening???" It was such a surreal experience, while they were going for each others throats, my step mum (very British and posh), looked around them and said "so tell me Ann, have you any plans for the New year?" She was trying to attempt a normal conversation while everyone else was trying to call the police!!! Soooo funny!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Glittababe,
your family reunion post made me laugh, we had a similar experience when some family that I thought I really missed came over at xmas, it was such an anti-climax and I wished they'd go after 48 hours and leave me to get on with my usual life, it was the first time I thought of aus as home, and I feel a little differently about it here now (though its taken a year).
Its such a tough decision, I feel that I'll never again feel completely settled as I'd miss things and people from both places, my pro and con list would be almost identical to yours (also a nurse with young children and nowhere to shop!)
We havnt decided whether we'll stay, but we're half way towards citizenship so we'll stay for the next year then decide,
Good luck with whatever you do,
Michaela
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Just for comparison, I've seen suitable jobs in Melbourne but they're paying only around $50k. That's a very hefty drop. Can't see me sending 2 children to Uni on that.
Are they going for certain then?

Matt started on that when we got here and we struggled but we got the all important foot in the door. After 6 months he applied for a much better paid job, and got it, i also began work the same week. Suddenly things were much better.
We took a big sideways step, but can now say it was worth it. (at the time it was horrible though)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.