Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you put in a memory box for your kids?

What would you put in a memory box for your kids?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:30 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you put in a memory box for your kids?

Hi, I was thinking about making up a kind of memory box for our daughter who will be too young to remember her home here in the UK. I was going to put in a set of coins and some photos of where she was born etc.

What would you put in a memory box? I'd love to know! Katy x
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:10 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you put in a memory box for your kids?

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Hi, I was thinking about making up a kind of memory box for our daughter who will be too young to remember her home here in the UK. I was going to put in a set of coins and some photos of where she was born etc.

How about some newspapers (local and national), local postcards, brochures for local things of interest, letters to her from friends/family...cant think of anything else right now!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:12 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

My brain, so they could see how the systematically took it apart over the

years

Only kidding, why not put some local info in like attractions and big events that run in your area.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:32 am
Oz won't no whats hit em!

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future

how about, if you can get hold of them, a couple of different news papers from the day she was born? a few years ago that was something we bought my grandparents as a gift and they loved it.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

How about a copy of everything you submitted along with your visa application. Then she can see just how much effort you put in to give her a chance of growing up Australian.

And dont forget her old UK passport and she will have a Aussie one in time no doubt.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:15 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

PHOTOS PHOTOS and more photos!!

we are actually completing a journal of our days up to the move to oz, right from the first thoughts of oz to hopefully!!! getting there........

we have a section from all members of the family with the "main" bit written by me......

amanda
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:45 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Mortgage papers.............
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

My mum, me and my sister are starting to make a small patchwork quilt from items of clothing that are special to us. That way when we're out there we can look at it, kids and me and I can recall stories for them.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:41 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

4x1012 Meg SDIMM Ram chips. Should work nicely in their first laptop
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:41 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter loves going through old photo albums. So as many photos as you can.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:57 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas! Thanks everyone! I've already started a diary on reasons why we are emigrating and will take lots of photos of friends etc before we go. It's a shame we can't take dried flowers/leaves out with us otherwise I'd make up a collage of wild flowers etc.
Keep your ideas coming!!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Four X will become famous soon enoughFour X will become famous soon enough

Some great ideas! Thanks everyone! I've already started a diary on reasons why we are emigrating and will take lots of photos of friends etc before we go. It's a shame we can't take dried flowers/leaves out with us otherwise I'd make up a collage of wild flowers etc.
Keep your ideas coming!!
Can't take dried flowers? We've got some flowers from our wedding that are dried and pressed, does this mean they can't be taken?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:04 pm
Drifting back to earth

Originally Posted by Four X
Can't take dried flowers? We've got some flowers from our wedding that are dried and pressed, does this mean they can't be taken?
Eeek sorry! I had assumed with all the postings about making sure you haven't got pine cones in your Christmas decorations that it meant dried flowers etc as well. I might have assumed wrongly though!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Four X will become famous soon enoughFour X will become famous soon enough

Eeek sorry! I had assumed with all the postings about making sure you haven't got pine cones in your Christmas decorations that it meant dried flowers etc as well. I might have assumed wrongly though!
I think you may be right, will have to have a look at AQUIS site
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:09 pm
Drifting back to earth

Originally Posted by Four X
I think you may be right, will have to have a look at AQUIS site
You've got me worried now so I have checked on this page http://www.fidi.com/Public/Members/S..._AUSTRALIA.pdf and it said "dried floral arrangements should not be sent." Sorry!