Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what would you have done differently?

what would you have done differently?

Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:27 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what would you have done differently?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering to those who have already made the move - is there anything you would have done differently when you arrived or wish you had done but didn't?

Thanks all

max
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: what would you have done differently?

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hi everyone,

Just wondering to those who have already made the move - is there anything you would have done differently when you arrived or wish you had done but didn't?

Thanks all

max
Max
I have not made the move yet but I would not have changed my dosh up so early and then I would have mades loads of the exchange rate
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Bought a house or land when we came out on a reccie 2 years ago, prices have gone up 100% since then around here!
Also waited to get a better exchange rate.

Apart from that we are just glad we are here.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:50 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Max
I have not made the move yet but I would not have changed my dosh up so early and then I would have mades loads of the exchange rate
Hey Debs you did better than we did!!!

You have to laugh about it it's only money...we lost more than I just paid for a brand new car but hey not bitter

Hindsigh is a great thing isn't it!

max
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

The same as Tinaj, with a definate on the waiting for a better rate of dollar.

Between putting in for the Visa and actually moving and transferring the cash we lost approximately $40,000.
It was horrible watching the dollar drop whilst we were waiting.

Whisky
Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hey Debs you did better than we did!!!

You have to laugh about it it's only money...we lost more than I just paid for a brand new car but hey not bitter

Hindsigh is a great thing isn't it!

max
Oh dear poor you max We also lost a nice car. Never mind it could have gone the other way. I agree with Tina - we went on a reccy in 1999 and the land was dead cheap - I wanted to buy but hubby said NO
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:10 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Thanks all

max
We wouldn't have sold our house. Should have rented it out.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Originally posted by janeyray
We wouldn't have sold our house. Should have rented it out.
Totally agree on this one. Wanted to rent house, would have paid for mortgage, and also had a house to retrurn to if necessary. Now we are pooped!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by devonchick
Totally agree on this one. Wanted to rent house, would have paid for mortgage, and also had a house to retrurn to if necessary. Now we are pooped!
On our recce trip, when we decided we were definitely coming back to live we should have done 2 things.

Firstly, got a PO box to have somewhere to redirect our mail to.

Secondly got our kids enrolled on the waiting lists for the good local private schools. They are HUGE and despite the kids being in year 1 and pre primary the chances are they'll only get to the top of the list at high school age.