What Would You Have Done Different

What Would You Have Done Different

Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

ashlee1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What Would You Have Done Different

Hi
Everyone Hop Everyones Okay

Im Writing This Thread To Find Out What People Who Have Already Done The Move Or The Visa Application Would Have Done Different Knowing What They Know Now

Example Did Not Use Agent (thinking Back Should Have Used Agent)

Shipped All Goods Ie Sofa Electricals Across Thinking Now Would Have Been Better Selling Them And Starting Afresh

Ashlee
Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:52 am
Just Joined

FredG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Would You Have Done Different

Firstly I Would Have Used Lowercase Letters Unless Starting A Sentence.

I would not have used an agent - all they did in our case was to forward our form to DIMIA and to send us DIMIA's letters.

I would have started selling/disposing of all our unwanted goods etc a lot sooner than I did as it is surprising how fast time runs out.

I would have hired a car for two or three weeks after arriving here instead of buying one straightaway as it turned out not to be as good as it first appeared.

I would have shipped my PC and printer etc instead of buying new here as IT bits seem to be more expensive and less readily available than in the UK. I would also have shipped a vacuum cleaner and our front-loading washing machine as most here are toploaders and don't do the job as well.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:07 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FredG
come on i bet it was hard to do though.

anyway, firstly i wouldn't have used an agent. For what he did i would have been shocked to have had to pay for it... but still as it was free the service was great!

secondly i would have thought longer about the work situation before i'd got here and maybe planned ahead a little more. this isn't really something that would be of use to anyone, but all i'll say is have a few backup plans before you leave!

i shipped everything out here electrical and furniture. it may be good to buy fresh when you arrive and it could possibly be more cost effective, but you will always have to ship something over. books dvd's cd's etc etc they would have cost me a fortune on their own. the only hassle with shipping is the waiting at the other end until it all arrives. My advice would be to plan early and get your things shipped well before you leave if possible.

apart from this i have no regrets! but i've only been here 4 months nearly so what do i know eh?
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I would have arranged to come out in the Southern winter - easier and cheaper accommodation.

I would have sold all my furniture and just brought personal things.

I would not have started out using an agent.

I would have won the top premium bond prize before cashing them.

Mostly, though, all the things we did we did in the right order at the right time!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FredG

I would not have used an agent - all they did in our case was to forward our form to DIMIA and to send us DIMIA's letters.

I would have started selling/disposing of all our unwanted goods etc a lot sooner than I did as it is surprising how fast time runs out.

I would have hired a car for two or three weeks after arriving here instead of buying one straightaway as it turned out not to be as good as it first appeared.

I would have shipped my PC and printer etc instead of buying new here as IT bits seem to be more expensive and less readily available than in the UK. I would also have shipped a vacuum cleaner and our front-loading washing machine as most here are toploaders and don't do the job as well.
Caps were a good idea it made you take notice lol

I dont even know how i done that

thanks for your reply and your attention to details
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We would have spent the money that we spent on one brand new car on two second hand ones.

We would have been more specific in our house offer because that eventually becomes your contract (for example we offered the amount we wanted to pay for the house "subject to the side fence being replaced" ) We should have also added things like

"the pool being maintained and not allowed to turn into a green mozzie infested swamp cos your too tight to leave the filter on"

"all appliences should be in full WORKING order and shouldn't blow the electrics when you turn on the dishwasher"

"the septic tanks need to be emptied before we move in, not once every 15 years" etc etc.

Once that offer is accepted, the price agreed on and you've moved in its too late
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashlee1980
Hi
Everyone Hop Everyones Okay

Im Writing This Thread To Find Out What People Who Have Already Done The Move Or The Visa Application Would Have Done Different Knowing What They Know Now

Example Did Not Use Agent (thinking Back Should Have Used Agent)

Shipped All Goods Ie Sofa Electricals Across Thinking Now Would Have Been Better Selling Them And Starting Afresh

Ashlee
Nothing, i love life just the way it is
I just wish i had done it sooner
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:13 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Great pos Hevs.

I bet the little attention to detail saves you a lot of heartache later on.

I would also guess that people tend to assume too much, like you say about working equipment and the pool etc. We will certainly make out a list of questions that wiill form part of the contract. Of course I am assuming that this is possible. Is it?

I take it that if these things are not sorted and form part of the agreement that you are able to withold money?

Gary

Originally Posted by hevs
We would have spent the money that we spent on one brand new car on two second hand ones.

We would have been more specific in our house offer because that eventually becomes your contract (for example we offered the amount we wanted to pay for the house "subject to the side fence being replaced" ) We should have also added things like

"the pool being maintained and not allowed to turn into a green mozzie infested swamp cos your too tight to leave the filter on"

"all appliences should be in full WORKING order and shouldn't blow the electrics when you turn on the dishwasher"

"the septic tanks need to be emptied before we move in, not once every 15 years" etc etc.

Once that offer is accepted, the price agreed on and you've moved in its too late
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:14 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
Nothing, i love life just the way it is
I just wish i had done it sooner
I concur

I'll say it again If I had my time again I would have timed the move to arrive in January for the new school year starting so my kids could have a long settling in period to build strong social networks.

There said it...............again
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsb
Great pos Hevs.

I bet the little attention to detail saves you a lot of heartache later on.
I will allow myself to be your example!! You live and learn!

I would also guess that people tend to assume too much, like you say about working equipment and the pool etc. We will certainly make out a list of questions that wiill form part of the contract. Of course I am assuming that this is possible. Is it?

I take it that if these things are not sorted and form part of the agreement that you are able to withold money?

Gary
Yes, thats how it works, but you have no come back if you didn't write it down.

Theres also something called the "section 32" read it very carefully. This is kind of like the deeds, tells you what you can and can't do, easements on the property, extentions etc etc.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I concur
your starting to sound like a doctor
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:37 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

I am only too pleased to learn from the mistakes of others, because I will never live long enough to learn from all of my own!

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. You talk about section 32, how do you get hold of this? Or should I just do a search?

Cheer, Gary

I will allow myself to be your example!! You live and learn!
Yes, thats how it works, but you have no come back if you didn't write it down.

Theres also something called the "section 32" read it very carefully. This is kind of like the deeds, tells you what you can and can't do, easements on the property, extentions etc etc.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by gsb
I am only too pleased to learn from the mistakes of others, because I will never live long enough to learn from all of my own!

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. You talk about section 32, how do you get hold of this? Or should I just do a search?

Cheer, Gary
You ask your estate agent for it BEFORE you put your offer in. They should have it and normally photo copy it for you.

As for the advice, its free and i'm happy to oblige. I am however speaking from Victoria and its worth noting that things have a habit of running differently in each state
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: What Would You Have Done Different

thanks really good advice def not something i would have thought of

ashlee
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:02 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

Will do.

Ta, Gary

You ask your estate agent for it BEFORE you put your offer in. They should have it and normally photo copy it for you.

As for the advice, its free and i'm happy to oblige. I am however speaking from Victoria and its worth noting that things have a habit of running differently in each state