Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Would You Do Ref Currency??

What Would You Do Ref Currency??

Old Feb 25th 2003, 11:31 am
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What Would You Do Ref Currency??

I know there have been a couple of useful threads on her recently about the subject, but I wanted to ask the very simple question, we are leaving in 7 weeks and have changed no currency yet, What would you do??

I have been thinking along the lines of changing half now and leaving half here, we could probably last for 6 months on half, so that gives us some leeway. Or do we do nothing for a few weeks and hope?

Sorry, I know it is going over old ground but there must be others in this actual position at the moment rather than just speculating.

Sarah
Old Feb 25th 2003, 12:12 pm
AJC
Just Joined

AJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy,

Use you UK credit card for everything while the pound is weak, Pay it via internet banking in Sterling

When the pound bounces back change the currency.

IMHO I do not see what the fuss is about (not only your thread being referenced here)

Best of luck to you for your 7 week wait

AJC
Old Feb 25th 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Would You Do Ref Currency??

Hi Fox- we have about 40k still to change so we are leaving it in Sterling in the Commonwealth until hopefully the rate goes back up. If it doesnt I'm not sure what we will do. My mum booked her currency in August'ish and got 2.93 so makes you sick really!
If you get any good ideas then let me know.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 5:09 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AJC
IMHO I do not see what the fuss is about (not only your thread being referenced here)
AJC
I guess you'll see what all the fuss is about when the GBP goes down in value 20-25% against the AUD and NZD, and stays comparatively weak for several years. (My prediction for where sterling will be in about 6 months' time or sooner, a few false rallies along the way.)

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 25th 2003, 6:28 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

19.26 GMT and GBP/AUD is bid 2.5971 and falling
Old Feb 25th 2003, 11:38 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

We are hoping to leave for Oz in July and like everyone else are getting very depressed at the exchange rate. It seems so unfair that we have had to wait so long only to be penalised on the exchange rate.

Then I crunched a few numbers and realised that our property value has increased by 30% since we first applied in Oct 2001 which more than covers any "loss" in exchange rate.

Made me feel a little better anyway.

Steph
Old Feb 26th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Try this link for up to minute currrency exchange rates

http://www.xe.com/pca/input.cgi
Old Feb 26th 2003, 12:40 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FOX
I know there have been a couple of useful threads on her recently about the subject, but I wanted to ask the very simple question, we are leaving in 7 weeks and have changed no currency yet, What would you do??

Sarah
If the rubber dollar rises to its old rate of 2-1 or higher does that mean the cost of living in the UK then becomes cheaper , because your costs were based on 3-1 .
So everything becomes 33% cheaper in the UK and the same more expensive in Australia its just a thought , given that wage levels in the UK in general are higher will the change make Australias on a par ? as will be the cost of living.

PS I am laughing all the way to the bank keep buying those rubber dollars it all helps me.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 26th 2003 at 12:43 am.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:19 am
pankala

Originally posted by pommie bastard
If the rubber dollar rises to its old rate of 2-1 or higher does that mean the cost of living in the UK then becomes cheaper , because your costs were based on 3-1 .
So everything becomes 33% cheaper in the UK and the same more expensive in Australia its just a thought , given that wage levels in the UK in general are higher will the change make Australias on a par ? as will be the cost of living.

PS I am laughing all the way to the bank keep buying those rubber dollars it all helps me.

Please help if only for pity's sake! We need you to buy at least 30 billion A$ to lift the exchange rate to 2/1 so that PB can slide back to England. Won't ever call youse Pommies ever again. Please help we really are most terribly desparate!

Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:38 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pankala
Please help if only for pity's sake! We need you to buy at least 30 billion A$ to lift the exchange rate to 2/1 so that PB can slide back to England. Won't ever call youse Pommies ever again. Please help we really are most terribly desparate!
Good input hows about buying Australian made products bit harder this one try sheepskin and no forget it all the surf gear is made in Indonesia , the cars here only go in small numbers to countries that have cheap fuel prices limited market.
Its down to the wine sales so drink 3 bottles a day more if you are to up to it only the dearer stuff not the gut rot .

:
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:50 am
pankala

Good input hows about buying Australian made products bit harder this one try sheepskin and no forget it all the surf gear is made in Indonesia , the cars here only go in small numbers to countries that have cheap fuel prices limited market.
Its down to the wine sales so drink 3 bottles a day more if you are to up to it only the dearer stuff not the gut rot .

:
Got it!

Send PB back British First Class no expenses spared to talk up Awstralya.

Delay all immigrant applications for at least 2 years to make it look like everyone wants to come here.

Then open the flood gates while starting to buy up houses in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall and turn the place into an walled enclave for the True Blue.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:10 am
Banned

Got it!

Send PB back British First Class no expenses spared to talk up Awstralya.

Delay all immigrant applications for at least 2 years to make it look like everyone wants to come here.

Then open the flood gates while starting to buy up houses in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall and turn the place into an walled enclave for the True Blue.
Did you see the TV program Time Gentlemen Please if you did , as the Gov says Australians are made for bar work its in their blood and most of them do it in London its a case of all criminals return to the scene of the crime , as most true blue Australians are ex cockney criminals its where they return.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:34 am
pankala

Did you see the TV program Time Gentlemen Please if you did , as the Gov says Australians are made for bar work its in their blood and most of them do it in London its a case of all criminals return to the scene of the crime , as most true blue Australians are ex cockney criminals its where they return.

What absolute twaddle! A total English myth. Kept in hulks on the Thames so they demonised them all as Cocknies to spare their own consciences.

The Tolpuddle Martyrs

Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:38 am
Banned

What absolute twaddle! A total English myth. Kept in hulks on the Thames so they demonised them all as Cocknies to spare their own consciences.

The Tolpuddle Martyrs
There is a view that the Australian dialect comes from the cockney one and your true Blue is infact a cockney at heart.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:45 am
pankala

There is a view that the Australian dialect comes from the cockney one and your true Blue is infact a cockney at heart.
To which Australian dialect do you refer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.