Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do with a million dollars?

What would you do with a million dollars?

Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:19 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just think of the potential market though "Dagboys Boat Trips - an essential experience for every new Expat......" And entertainment laid on in the form of two little Dagboys!
Are you taking bookings yet, Mrs D?. Where do you want me to park my air tanks???
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Lets face it, we arent out to MAKE a million dollars, we want to spend it .
Easy Peazy - you'll probably do that anyway - just not all at once.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Polly, if you want a real laugh, hes registered www.dagboy.net . How is that for geeky?

DUP, do you want to come crew for me?

Meg, so what would you do with your million then? I seriously want ideas .
Old Dec 19th 2003, 4:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by DianeOZ

Now if I didn't do that with the money, I would buy somewhere in the hills and have a kiddy farmyard open to the public (for a small fee of course) and live the Waltons life....

Goodnight Jimbob
what's stopping you?

House in the middle of nowhere should be cheap , I was looking at one the other month in the real estate booklet for only $85,000 (no electricity mind you, generator, acres of land - somewhere in QLD, can't remember where it was, but it was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees.

Kiddy farmyard ( there are tax breaks - for hobby farms). Grow your own veggies, chickens etc - educate your kids yourself, or long distance learning via the net/radio.

go for it "Mary Ellen " .... it sounds peaceful

cheers

Hubby and I have already long put the wheels in motion for our future new business back in the UK (there is such a big gap in Europe for this also in Aus too, but neither of us want to stay here, so it wouldn't work for us here) - been designing the vehicles for the past two and a half years, a lot of market research and "door knocking". We've already got one investor who will be putting some money into it, all it takes for us to wrap up here and b*gger off - hopefully it will be next year (cross fingers)

If you want something badly enough - anything is possible, you don't need millions, just a lot of hard work and research, knowing your market (example - there's no point opening up say a cafe next to 100 other cafes selling the same thing is there) , a lot of persistence and total dedication/passion... i.e you must really, really want it.- that makes the battle/hard work a lot easier.
what's the figures for failed businesses in the first three years? , can't remember, but I know it's extremely high ( 3 out of 5 .. or something like that I seem to recall)

A lot of people just dream, but few are really prepared to actually " just do it" - it's initially a lot of hard work

cheers

P.s just to add - a while back we looked in to buying out our company/works ( an existing business) here in Brisbane (decided against it as it's not want we both want), bank loans - in some cases you can actually use the assets of the business (machinery, company vehicles - second hand (auction) value - as long as the vehicles are under three years old) etc to secure the loan instead of re mortgaging a very huge proportion of your house) or so we were informed by our bank manager.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 5:02 am
ABCDiamond

5 Houses at $200k each, rented for $200 per week each = $1,000 per week income.

That would be the sensible option. !

But i've never been known as sensible, so I would probably start another business. Not sure what this time round though, but I always think of something eventually

Actually, my wife only mentioned this morning that we should buy a McDonalds franchise! and they work out at about $1million. So I suppose that's it , and there I was thinking I'd have to go to the bank with my borrowing cap on.

Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:06 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Meg, so what would you do with your million then? I seriously want ideas .
Dearest MrsD.,

You touch a sensitive nerve. I wish I knew. Bunkered like a rabit in a pot hole on a busy highway.

People tell me I've done an unusual variety of things but right now I'm stumped for anything novel.

M. Prisca.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely there is a business opportunity with your bi-lingual fish from Japan?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 6:47 am
Banned

Originally posted by bondipom
Surely there is a business opportunity with your bi-lingual fish from Japan?
Let us see...

Standing once at the back of the Taj Mahal looking down on the sands of the Jumna River I was offered by a dusky erstwhile gentleman to be cursed in any tongue of my chosing for the price of a light repast.

So to make pin money, say $1K / day, perhaps you kindly British Expats would entertain parting with $1.00 to read each of my posts. $2.00 for particularly aggravating posts? Not particularly novel but a labour of love.

I already have merchant credit card facilities so all those interested please post your credit card details in this thread.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Easy. Me and Mr Bundy would buy an outback pub and get it running with a backpacker hostel out the back. He'd run the pub side of things, I'd run the hostel side.

Either that, or take a year or two off work so that I can write.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:46 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

I'd give the lot to these guys: http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org

and more importantly these guys: http://www.starfishcharity.org/

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Houdini; Dec 19th 2003 at 8:49 am.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:48 am
Badge

Originally posted by bundy
Easy. Me and Mr Bundy would buy an outback pub and get it running with a backpacker hostel out the back. He'd run the pub side of things, I'd run the hostel side.

Either that, or take a year or two off work so that I can write.

Sounds good, probably buy some office space as well..

Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Can I have a million pounds instead?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:06 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Sounds good, probably buy some office space as well..

What for? Got plans?

We aim to get the pub whether we have a million dollars or not (seems unlikely that we are going to stumble across that much money, but you never know). Just have to work hard(er)!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:10 am
Banned

Originally posted by CHnJ
Can I have a million pounds instead?
Nup, you have to save it on your own or charm it.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:44 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you do with a million dollars?

OK, seriously, what would you do with $1,000,000?

Apart from "move to Australia/NZ/Back to the UK" or bribe govt officials , what would you do with a million dollars?

Dagboy & I have had this conversation a couple of times now, its not enough to 'live on" ie interest, but I think you could comfortably *retire* & do something that you wanted to do. My suggestion was to buy a huge flybridge cruiser & do fishing charters (approx cost to set up about $500,000), what better than to have to do something like that 3 or 4 times a week . Or become a property baron & own 3 or 4 investment properties. Or would you just splurge it all on fast cars, fabulous new house, lots of partying?

No one say "put it in the bank" please LOL. What would you do?
Mr Pookin would invest it in options/shares (before I spent it all on shoes!). When we first arrived and he had loads of spare time he started to research the stock market and joined websites such as Hot Copper.

Then with some of my savings (!) he sallied forth. To date we've made about $2500. If you set up an account with a company such as Sanford, you can get text alerts so you can keep a close eye on everything.

He thinks that we will make our fortunes this way, who knows, he has had some good 'insider' tips from others on the chat sites and we're not using too much money.

All this from a man who told me he'd be a 'mill-yun-air' by the time he was thirty (still waiting!).

Last edited by Pookin; Dec 19th 2003 at 9:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.