Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yam Yam is on a distinguished road
Default What would you do?

Yet another " what would you do" question, but opinions are good to hear whether good or bad.

My Wife and I spent a period in Aus as perm residents but didnt stay long enough for Citizenship and now our visa has run out. We left Aus under a cloud, but loved it and maybe with hindsight made a snap desicion in leaving. 5 years have passed and I have come to the end of a long selection process for an Aus company and they would like to take me back to Aus with my wife and 2 kids on a sponsorship visa.

Our circumstances have changed family wise and I can see the benefit for my kids,,but that doesnt stop me having doubts, more nerves based than anything. My kids will be 3 and 1 so they are young, which may be viewed as a positive!

They want me in NSW, I work in construction and my wife is a qualified podiatrist.

I lean towards life experiences and exposing my kids to other things, but it has to be 100% right this time as I am a father now, not a wandering free spirit.

"What would you do"?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:52 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Yam Yam
Yet another " what would you do" question, but opinions are good to hear whether good or bad.

My Wife and I spent a period in Aus as perm residents but didnt stay long enough for Citizenship and now our visa has run out. We left Aus under a cloud, but loved it and maybe with hindsight made a snap desicion in leaving. 5 years have passed and I have come to the end of a long selection process for an Aus company and they would like to take me back to Aus with my wife and 2 kids on a sponsorship visa.

Our circumstances have changed family wise and I can see the benefit for my kids,,but that doesnt stop me having doubts, more nerves based than anything. My kids will be 3 and 1 so they are young, which may be viewed as a positive!

They want me in NSW, I work in construction and my wife is a qualified podiatrist.

I lean towards life experiences and exposing my kids to other things, but it has to be 100% right this time as I am a father now, not a wandering free spirit.

"What would you do"?
If you were 100% sure about everything, life would be pretty boring. Any decision like his will have an element of risk so no-one but you can make that decision.

But for what it's worth, I would do it. You have previous experience of the country, and I assume the 'cloud' you left under wasn't of the illegal kind so if it isn't going to effect any future visa etc, I say go for it. Just make sure that all the details of your contract are spot-on
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:52 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

"What would you do"?
My only comment.... do your sums.
Check what rent will cost or the cost to buy a home. Things will be VERY different from the last time you lived here.

Good luck..... There are no rehearsals to life, this is it.... Go for it!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the repsonses. I am very much a "lets do it" kind of person as is my Wife, so if the package is right it should be straight forward.

Package of $150 ok?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

package of $150k is a nice start, would your wife be a stay at home mother? or would she be working? where about's in NSW would you be based?

If it was me I'd do it in a heart beat!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

My Wife would be stay at home Mother for our 2 young sons.

NSW, Sydney area. As I am in construction my jobs will be in one place for 2-3 years at a time, so choice of where to live can be wide as I may be close to home for one job, but then further afield next job.

A place where my Wife is comfortable and the scholling is good for the lads!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

$150k is a great package. In fact i think the government recently classed ~$150k as a high income household bracket in Aus. I'd say go for it, you won't regret the move. Somewhere central like strathfield/lidcombe will give you transport flexibility depending on where you work. It has good transport connections and roads out west, up north, down south or even to the cbd.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:34 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

"What would you do"?
I would get on the plane.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is 3 times what the average person earns in Australia so it would make for a comfortable lifestyle. Go for it, you only live once.

Originally Posted by Timmo84
$150k is a great package. In fact i think the government recently classed ~$150k as a high income household bracket in Aus. I'd say go for it, you won't regret the move. Somewhere central like strathfield/lidcombe will give you transport flexibility depending on where you work. It has good transport connections and roads out west, up north, down south or even to the cbd.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

http://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/

NSW average is ~70k .. so you'll be on double.
If the wife isn't working, you'll need that.

I'd suggest going to NSW, but leave the wife and kids at home.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I would get on the plane.
+1

Me too!