Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:26 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you buy before you leave the UK?

Originally Posted by Fly Away
You missed Boden. They deliver to Aus x
Its on my list... thanks I'll get onto it today
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Clothes would probably be my suggestion too. You dont get the same 'buzz' over here clothes shopping as you do in the UK - especially when you first arrive as it all feels so alien for so long. Thankfully a lot of the UK shops are now delivering here... M&S included! I'm in the process of listing all of the shops that post here from the UK on the website below - the list is growing rapidly!!

http://www.uk2oz.com.au

Not forgetting Wallis, who offer delivery to Australia for 10 GBP per order. See:

http://www.wallis.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...wl1%20delivery

Another favorite, NEXT, have just added a New Zealand shopping site to their web site, so hopefully it won't be long before they add an Aussie one too.

Happy shopping!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:24 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
Not forgetting Wallis, who offer delivery to Australia for 10 GBP per order. See:

http://www.wallis.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...wl1%20delivery

Another favorite, NEXT, have just added a New Zealand shopping site to their web site, so hopefully it won't be long before they add an Aussie one too.

Happy shopping!
Added to my list thanks! I'm sooo hopeful that NEXT willl follow suit.. I honestly think they'd be crazy if they didnt!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snurse42
Hi, we will be arriving in Melbourne around Easter time and I was wondering if there was anything you would stock up on in the UK before we leave? We have 2 boys ages 10 and 5 who go through things like trainers and t-shirts at an incredible rate!
Clothes are poor quality here so stock up.
Get a haircut before you leave as it will be the last decent one you have.

If you are planning on bringing any UK electrical appliances bring some UK power boards. Then only need to change plug on power board rather than every appliance.

Some other tips:-
Complete form P85 Notice of Leaving UK and send recorded delivery to Inland Revenue.
Consider continuing to make voluntary NI payments.
Keep some UK bank accounts open, preferably with internet banking.
If you have a NHS dentist go see them before you come as dentists here will clear out your bank account.
If considering private medical insurance in Australia get in within 10 months(?) of arriving. Otherwise you will get a lifetime loading for each adult, something 2% for each year you are over age 30.
Request from car insurance provider a letter confirming you non-claims bonus.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Persil and comfort.
Isn't Omo the same as Persil - they have the small and mighty range! I had to find it because of my sons eczema.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Originally Posted by ossigeno
If you are planning on bringing any UK electrical appliances bring some UK power boards. Then only need to change plug on power board rather than every appliance.
Only if you're using the appliances in the same place though. If you need different things in different places, you can get adaptors from poundland. You'll need at least 4 for chargers etc even after changing all your plugs over.

Also, wallpaper. It's very expensive here and not as modern. In fact, anything modern for your house, cushions, vases etc. They do have SOME here but they're expensive and much of a muchness if you know what I mean.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Hot off the press - for those debating earlier on this thread about buying UK clothes online: I have just had an email from NEXT to say that they will be offering international delivery to Australia from March 2010. Hurrah!!

Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Hot off the press - for those debating earlier on this thread about buying UK clothes online: I have just had an email from NEXT to say that they will be offering international delivery to Australia from March 2010. Hurrah!!

Wooo hooo about time!!! I would say if you wear linen trousers or anything like that stock up it has just cost me over $100 for a pair and that was after loads of searching whereas M&S got them for £15!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Clothes are poor quality here so stock up.

Get a haircut before you leave as it will be the last decent one you have.

I would have thought with all those hairdressing visas granted that there would be loads of quality hairdressers out there.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Also, wallpaper. It's very expensive here and not as modern.
You mean something different on the walls other than that cream beige paint colour everyone has inside their houses and apartments, new and old.

Are you mad!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
You missed Boden. They deliver to Aus x
Do they!!!! OMG the thought of no Boden was putting me off moving SO happy now
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I would have thought with all those hairdressing visas granted that there would be loads of quality hairdressers out there.
DIMA have finally wised up to the hairdressing & cooking visa rackets.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:06 am

Fan Freaking Tastic!!!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yeeehaw!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by koalakim
Oh yes shoes! Shoes are sooooo expensive here - even for an addict like me! Fortunately I'm going back to the UK each year so stock up on a stop over in Singapore where they are bootiful and cheap (get more Sing bucks to your pound than Aussie $).

Just becareful with bedding as Queens here are the same as King in the UK but shorter. So your UK duvet bunches up at the bottom of an Aussie cover. Plus it's called Manchester here which will confuse the hell out of you at first!

KK
Just an interesting point for you, the shoe shop Schuh

http://www.schuh.co.uk/

will mail order their shoes to Australia for £10 a pair, I rang them recently and was told this by their sales people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.