Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would my parents be entitled to?

What would my parents be entitled to?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default What would my parents be entitled to?

Hi,
Ok my parents are looking at potentially moving to Oz on a Parent Contributory visa.My question is this : Once they are here what concessions would they receive straight away and what would they have to wait for?
I understand their contribution is there (as well as us here to support them) but we're just trying to look at their day to day living costs etc
Any help much appreciated ,
Thanks Sunbound
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What would my parents be entitled to?

I don't think they would be entitled to anything, other than normal Medicare.

After 2 years they may become eligible for some benefits, but the waiting period for any Australian Pension, if applicable, is 10 years.

I can't think of anything in the way of concessions that they may get immediately.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

After 2 years they may become eligible for some benefits, but the waiting period for any Australian Pension, if applicable, is 10 years.

I can't think of anything in the way of concessions that they may get immediately.
So for example if they are pensioners in the Uk ,and although they wont be drawing a pension in Oz,do they still get their oap card that gets them concessions on the bus,prescriptions,dentist etc It doesnt seem to be written down anywhere for me to look it up ??
Thanks Sunbound
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
So for example if they are pensioners in the Uk ,and although they wont be drawing a pension in Oz,do they still get their oap card that gets them concessions on the bus,prescriptions,dentist etc It doesnt seem to be written down anywhere for me to look it up ??
Thanks Sunbound
I think here that type of card is means tested even for OAP, well according to my FIL, they had some assets and they were always moaning about not getting concessions etc. I know they didnt get a pension, as they had a bit of money stacked away from selling a house on the GC.

They had very high private medical insurance, again as they said they didnt qualify for concessions. Know their hospital bills were enormous

Would the centerlink website have that type of info, probably more reliable than the moaning groaning aussie FIL
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

And if the benefits (after 2 years) are covered by a 10 year Assurance of Support, they are recoverable from the assurer.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Thanks Sunbound
Hi, we are here on a CPV but only in our 50,our friends who are 60 get a seniors card which gets them cheap travel on the buses and train I think they pay $2 for a day ticket we are in NSW.
Janet
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt they would be entitled to much at all. Many of us who have reached retirement age and been here for yonks arent entitled to much either because everything is means tested and new migrants have the residence requirements on top of that. It would be nice to get something off prescriptions but I doubt I ever will.

You could check the Centrelink site http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...cards_cshc.htm

Our local govt has seniors cards which I think are universal and not residence based but they just give you a bit off the bus fares if you are not working full time. Dendy also take your age into account if you want to go to a movie (waiting to try that one, only just turned 60)