Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would make you go back -for good!

What would make you go back -for good!

Old Jun 19th 2003, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would make you go back -for good!

just been browsing on the "moving back to uk" forum and it seems to me, no matter how they cover it up, most people blame australia for the reasons they returned instead of being honest and admitting to failure! and incidentialy most are planning to return to the places in uk that they left, places that could be deemed as "nicer areas" where one has to be loaded to afford the privalage of lving in a more crime free and more beutiful part of the country.
Personaly my back ground is working class, for many years me and the kids (5) lived in run down council estates, with schools that were regulary put in special measures, neighbours robbed from you and drugs and vandalism were the norm. I went to college then university, brought my fist home a couple of years ago in a slightly better part of the county, better schools for the kids etc.
i am soon to begin the migration process to Aus, if i could change me and the kids life for the better here i am dammned sure Aus will hold no fear for me! and i will go with the attitude that it WILL WORK, for to go through the process and take my children to the other side of the world, completley changing our lives and uprooting them from friends and family, is my biggest and most challenging change yet, and like getting them out of poverty took grit and determination, so will giving them what i know will be a broader and more fullfilling experience of life yet.

Old Jun 19th 2003, 11:19 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would make you go back -for good!

Originally posted by ellen1
just been browsing on the "moving back to uk" forum and it seems to me, no matter how they cover it up, most people blame australia for the reasons they returned instead of being honest and admitting to failure! and incidentialy most are planning to return to the places in uk that they left, places that could be deemed as "nicer areas" where one has to be loaded to afford the privalage of lving in a more crime free and more beutiful part of the country.
Personaly my back ground is working class, for many years me and the kids (5) lived in run down council estates, with schools that were regulary put in special measures, neighbours robbed from you and drugs and vandalism were the norm. I went to college then university, brought my fist home a couple of years ago in a slightly better part of the county, better schools for the kids etc.
i am soon to begin the migration process to Aus, if i could change me and the kids life for the better here i am dammned sure Aus will hold no fear for me! and i will go with the attitude that it WILL WORK, for to go through the process and take my children to the other side of the world, completley changing our lives and uprooting them from friends and family, is my biggest and most challenging change yet, and like getting them out of poverty took grit and determination, so will giving them what i know will be a broader and more fullfilling experience of life yet.

The things you talk about are true. True of those who live in the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, USA et al. I don't think the issues that concern you are unique, more a universal condition as progressive generations strive for more and become more prosperous. It is natural to want more than our parents had, and want more for our children. BUT you may be able to achieve this by some other means.

I believe that if you have considered the pros and cons, and this may take years to do, then a move to a new country may provide the springboard for your descendants to prosper further. However it may also be a major setback. Good luck.

Last edited by Florida_03; Jun 19th 2003 at 11:25 am.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 12:03 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Go Girl !!!
Old Jun 19th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

just been browsing on the "moving back to uk" forum and it seems to me, no matter how they cover it up, most people blame australia for the reasons they returned instead of being honest and admitting to failure!
My personal thoughts are that "some" people in the UK had the big house flash cars and lived in the right areas and were seen to be successful and wealthy, yet moving to Australia they are no longer seen as that. They have no friends to admire their status.

Might be wrong and get shot down for it but thats what it seems to me.

Of course there are those that go and its not what they thought it would be, those that face financial sucide because that is what it tends to be. Those that have been successful and just want to go home. All sorts of people returning for all sorts of reasons.

But it matters not what they return, they gave it a go and for me it does not matter if they lasted a month or ten years. Coming back does not make them failures.

The ones that failed are those that did not fill in the application form and give it a go.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

it was a bit of hard of me to use the term "failure". i should of said it failed, i appologise for pigeon holling people, i know people return for many diffrent reasons.
my bet is pb and co will have a go at me on this subject, they will say i am a dreamer and that i will expect too much from australia, and why don't i move to better areas in uk, but the reality is my eyes are wide open. what ever i suffered in this country, i may suffer in aus, but like in uk, i will make the best of it. the difference is we can travel, we won't have to go to the zoo to see different forms of widlife, we can live in a larger property (thanks to my equity) and not live literally on top of our neighbours, we won't have to hibernate in winter, i won't need to re-mortgage the house every time i want to take the kids into the countryside, seaside or to a theme park because we will live near the coast and at the same time the outback is all around us.

my husband has relies that have lived in australia for over 30 years, and although they visit uk, they wouldn't want to live here. they said they couldn't cope with the climate, the cost of living, the crime, they say they feel claustrophobic when ther're here.
At the end of the day i believe life is short and the world is large, so why not!

goodluck to all those going and those returning

ellen
Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Ellen
It can be as you said many many different reasons of why people as you say fail here in Australia and other parts of the world. From my point of view i wouldnt actually give an opinion on this subject till i had actually experienced the whole moving process , we came out here 8 months with very open minds , we knew there would be bad times and good , and we where prepared to take them all on , we kept our opinions to ourselfs and told no one of our fears or what we wanted from life when we got here. B
Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:29 pm
Badge

ellen1

i like your style.

Some useful points - some of the homes that some of us live in our beyond my dreams in this country - makes me wonder the real reasons why people are moving overseas.

badgers

Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry will finish now , but its been harder than we ever thought it would be . We worked hard in the UK and we are still working bloody hard here , paul is working harder than ever.
You say you dont want people on top of you , want to be near the sea etc , well we live north of perth and we have houses just like england all around us , we are near the sea , not alot of wildlife im afraid , you have to go country to get that , but then you dont get the sea!! We have crime highest in the world , just like the UK , this is no different , we just get better weather , 22 degrees and its winter Joanne
Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:54 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
My personal thoughts are that "some" people in the UK had the big house flash cars and lived in the right areas and were seen to be successful and wealthy, yet moving to Australia they are no longer seen as that. They have no friends to admire their status.

Might be wrong and get shot down for it but thats what it seems to me.

Of course there are those that go and its not what they thought it would be, those that face financial sucide because that is what it tends to be. Those that have been successful and just want to go home. All sorts of people returning for all sorts of reasons.

But it matters not what they return, they gave it a go and for me it does not matter if they lasted a month or ten years. Coming back does not make them failures.

The ones that failed are those that did not fill in the application form and give it a go.
Agree, we all have our different reasons for leaving the UK and Some are bound to do better than others but at the end of the day at least you did what you thought was best at the time. personally I would have big regrets if I did not go and try and give it my all, I would be sitting here thinking, what if, for the rest of my life, that would be very sad.
Suz
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with you totally , you have to give it a go , or you would be sat there saying , " what if " , but to rub peoples noses in that they are failures is a bit hard , some of us come out with nothing to try and make a fresh start with our families , because we know we cant do that in the UK , but then we find its harder here than at home . We always came on here to give advice and get help , not be called failures . You have to remember you all may hate Pb and co , but they have had a good number of years out here , Ellen your not here yet . Hope it is everything you have dreamed of and more Joanne
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it works out Joanne for yourself and Paul. Very honest of you to say it is`not all rosy`.

Best of luck

footie chick
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

like i posted previously joanne, i appologised for the term "failures".

it sounds like your not having a good time out there, but all what you have described is no different than my life here, except the winter temps of 22 degrees!

i am not even begining my migration process till Dec 03, i have been researching for almost a year, i hear and see nothing that makes me believe my life will be "cushy" i expect to work hard, like i do here, but i defy any one to tell me that the problems i experience here just outside the city of nottingham will be directly transfered to perth (by the way my sister in law lives in perth).

my knowledge of the things i have described in terms of crime, devience and poverty etc are from the perspective of a child protection social worker (me!) who although a professional earns a pitance! i cannot afford to live in an area of less crime, for that you have to pay for the privallage! i have done the best i can for my selff and children in this country, it is time to try somewhere else.
for evey one negative story i here about brits migrating to oz (over various lengths of time) i hear many more succssess.

i wish you the best for the future

ellen
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry i dont agree , we researched for 10 years before we came out , i too have family who have lived here for 35 yrs . The crime here is just awful , we sit just like the UK every night there is murders , viscious murders , child abuse is very high . I have sent you a personal message on us as a family and why i dont agree with your views been spouted off on here, and saying what you think etc , we all have our views but sorry we live here we see and hear things and its not all rosy , your job will go down well here we have some very serious issues in aboriginal communities and our own communities alike , we like here and we will try to make it work and we hope other people do to
Joanne
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

POSTED BY jopaulss.
why i dont agree with your views been spouted off on here, and saying what you think etc
This is a public forum, Ellen can write what she likes. What right have you to suggest otherwise.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:42 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia coming a Muslim State and having to pray on my hands and knees every day and treat women very badly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.