Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What work do you do in OZ?

Wikiposts

What work do you do in OZ?

Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What work do you do in OZ?

We're not going until my wife qualifies but we will be:

Me - civil/structural CAD drafter
Wife - Mental Health Nurse
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:40 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
To major major major major major.. account it has been noted..
That the prime reason for which we got the visa has not been fulfilled...
Its ==>s (implies) that there will be shortage of people (and people will immigrate) if migrants dont work for the profession they were given visas..

Trust me... Picture what seems from far is not the same as you come to Australia..
I was a lead developer, System Analyst, a Dedicated Designer, desgined complex software stuff... now doing Admin (which is way out of the job)....
But till its soft'ie (Icecream) I would lick it..
- Bart
excellent post Bart karma for that
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

Does any one have any good job web sites located in Australia that i could look at. I am currently working as an IT tutor and my husband is a qualified electrician. (still stuck in the UK) I am just curious as to what jobs are going and where, what the salery would be like and so on.
Thanks Jackie
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jwood
Does any one have any good job web sites located in Australia that i could look at. I am currently working as an IT tutor and my husband is a qualified electrician. (still stuck in the UK) I am just curious as to what jobs are going and where, what the salery would be like and so on.
Thanks Jackie

www.seek.com.au
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:12 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

https://jobsearch.gov.au
www.mycareer.com.au
www.jobnet.com.au
and more...
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:36 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Thanx Peppi,,,,,,may just hold you to that!
Let us know how he gets on......I think when we first arrive, that driving will be my safest and quickest route into work short term - after sorting out my licenses etc....Dont plan on it long term though as Caz has her heart set on a nice big house with pool, a boat, and a long list of other lifestyle items that a truck drivers salary will just not pay for
Cant imagine that it's any worse a job than in the UK.....open roads, less congestion, nicer lorries etc.....we'll see
I wouldnt be so sure... We have a 3 by 2 which is big by Uk standards,cost about £103,000.00 UK with a pool, large garage shed,2 dirt bikes,2 cars,a horse and Im booking my divers licience on thursday. We are having a ball at the moment...on a bus fuellers salary and my 2 days a week(which I have to confesse cant go on for ever...I will have to take on,ohhh....praps another 2 shifts a week at some point) I have to add we dont have a mortgage thou. A boat he would like at some point but not seriously enough to go get one yet,praps once I can dive it may become more important eh...! Driving a truck(never call it a lorry here you will constantly get corrected)is a fast track job offer definately,at the moment...they are crying out...even with out the HR...but the better the licience obviously better the money.
deffinately dont hesitate to look us up,be glad to help...have you family here at all...?
Anyway we have managed all that in 3 months...with a bit of running about in the beginning month or so....easy as...my favourite Ozzie saying...!
when you landing...?
And do you have kids...how big does the big house have to be...?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:22 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
excellent post Bart karma for that
.....and you understood that?

Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:36 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
I wouldnt be so sure... We have a 3 by 2 which is big by Uk standards,cost about £103,000.00 UK with a pool, large garage shed,2 dirt bikes,2 cars,a horse and Im booking my divers licience on thursday. We are having a ball at the moment...on a bus fuellers salary and my 2 days a week(which I have to confesse cant go on for ever...I will have to take on,ohhh....praps another 2 shifts a week at some point) I have to add we dont have a mortgage thou. A boat he would like at some point but not seriously enough to go get one yet,praps once I can dive it may become more important eh...! Driving a truck(never call it a lorry here you will constantly get corrected)is a fast track job offer definately,at the moment...they are crying out...even with out the HR...but the better the licience obviously better the money.
deffinately dont hesitate to look us up,be glad to help...have you family here at all...?
Anyway we have managed all that in 3 months...with a bit of running about in the beginning month or so....easy as...my favourite Ozzie saying...!
when you landing...?
And do you have kids...how big does the big house have to be...?

Hi Peppi,
I know this is tagging on Rob's thread but he won't mind as we are the same person anyway.

Do you still think you did the right thing buying straightaway?
Have the prices settled?
We are staying in Warnbro from the 15th Jan and will be looking for something in the low 300's, didn't want to feel pressured to buy.

The areas east of Warnbro Sound Av are they OK?

Thanks for your help

Kevin

Last edited by kevinl; Dec 20th 2005 at 6:03 am.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

ktee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant futurektee has a brilliant future

Im a carpenter in the UK but not sure what I will do when We get to Oz, probably carpentry to start with. Am also a HGV licence holder. and did sports science at Uni but will never use that again
Hopefully buy land build on it and not owe very much money, have got a few other money making ideas but will see what happens when we get there. We are also going to WA not sure where we will settle probably our campervan for the first 6months, (it feels nice saying that) We wont be arriving untill next christmas. Kate my other half has just received a positive skills assessment so it finally feels like we will be going back.Hooorayyy, cant wait, have had very itchy feet for the last 5 years
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:57 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinl
Hi Peppi,
I know this is tagging on Rob's thread but he won't mind as we are the same person anyway.

Do you still think you did the right thing buying straightaway?
Have the prices settled?
We are staying in Warnbro from the 15th Jan and will be looking for something in the low 300's, didn't want to feel pressured to buy.

The areas east of Warnbro Sound Av are they OK?

Thanks for your help

Kevin
Yes Im still glad we bought straight away. 3 months ago anything decent was flying off the shelf and we did feel under pressure to buy,but Im still glad we did. (we had a bench mark of $250,000 which is a little more difficult than the over $300) I would say that it has calmed down a bit now and for the money you are talking you will get a nice place. As regards areas. People keep saying to us that we bought the right side of the avenue,beach side is considered the "better" side apparently. Im told because the other side which to me looks newer are all rentals and some perhaps not so desirable neighbours as they are rentals if you get my drift. I cant see it,but then Im new here,so we bought the best side more by fluke than judgement.Youd get something in Port kennedy also which is a spit down the ave more on the right side of the Ave,for the money you are talking. We looked at some beaut houses on open days(just being nosy as wed bought) nano minutes from us almost directly opposite the mall going back towards the beach. Anymore help I can be ask away...but Beachside is the word...!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a Registered Nurse on a medical ward and my husband is a truckie at the moment pay not good and working long hours but after 3 months experience of driving in metro area hopefully he will get a better job. He works 7am til 6.30pm and sometimes again from 8.30pm til 11.30pm so not quite what we expected. We are hoping it'll improve.

(I'm not sure what licensce he has but I know he had a class 1 in U.K.)
Having a forklift licensce would definitely help, seems to be in demand.

Nicola
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:16 am
Moomin member

Originally Posted by Mrs Rangersman
I'm a Registered Nurse on a medical ward and my husband is a truckie at the moment pay not good and working long hours but after 3 months experience of driving in metro area hopefully he will get a better job. He works 7am til 6.30pm and sometimes again from 8.30pm til 11.30pm so not quite what we expected. We are hoping it'll improve.

(I'm not sure what licensce he has but I know he had a class 1 in U.K.)
Having a forklift licensce would definitely help, seems to be in demand.

Nicola
Thats mental hours Nicola,suggest he may be working for the wrong company... Unless he has taken an upgrade test he will have an MR licience
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peppi
Thats mental hours Nicola,suggest he may be working for the wrong company... Unless he has taken an upgrade test he will have an MR licience
Because of my shifts its is difficult with childcare as alot of the other firms want much earlier starts we hope to get it sorted. The only before school care around here that opens at 6.30am so I could get to work on time doesn't drop-off at our son's school. Hope it'll get better soon though, not exactly the 'better lifestyle' we had hoped for, he used to finish at 3pm in U.K.
Nicola
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:40 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Wicked story ...

Reckon you could of taken Kasparov ?
Kasparov's retired....he's a has been

Just before I emiigrated I played in an annual event in Port Erin on the IOM. It's the strongest tournament in Britain, in one of the loveliest areas with a friendly community. I'd never been to the IOM before, and wish I'd had more chance to see it.

Except for the cheesy chips and gravy :scared:
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:07 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I work in marketing communications, doing a pretty similar job to what I did in England (public relations). Only been able to get contract work. It took about a year before my salary was back to the level it was on in the UK. I would like a permanent job but our current visa status (457) is a stumbling block it seems with prospective employers. We have applied for PR, so hopefully things will improve.

Partner is a recruitment consultant (accounting and legal), he was sponsored to come over here by an Australian company. Australia is desperate for recruitment consultants... He's doing very well over here.

We both work harder - and longer hours - than we did in England. Which isn't what we planned! And longer-term, I miss the benefits such as maternity leave (which was just under a year on half pay in my old job) and 30 days holiday which I enjoyed at home. Australia is also a bit behind in terms of innovation and business practice in my field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.