Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What work do you do in OZ?

Wikiposts

What work do you do in OZ?

Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:35 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What work do you do in OZ?

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
This has probably been done before, but I am interested to know what jobs people are doing down under, particularly in WA.

I really have no idea what I want to do when I arrive, although have a multitude of skills which could see me heading in one of several different directions!

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales
PC/ Network Installation & Maintenance
Starting a gardening/ landscaping business

The list goes on...........

Obviously, I want to earn the best money possible with the least amount of work and be able to achieve the 'lifestyle' we all seek.....

So lets have it....what are you all doing now, and without getting too personal, does it allow you a degree of freedom and enable you to live the 'lifestyle'? More importantly, are you happier doing whatever it is you do, than back in the UK?

I lick my boss shoes.. even that doesn;t work...

- Bart
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:29 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

When I was in England I was a circus/variety performer and my main pastime was playing chess. I came to Melbourne, played in an international chess tournament and did well, and was offered a job coaching chess, so I'm now a full time chess teacher, with juggling as a hobby

It is just as rewarding, though for different reasons, but it is just as time consuming, if not more so. Sayingt that, I'm loving it and life here generally
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

This has probably been done before, but I am interested to know what jobs people are doing down under, particularly in WA.

I really have no idea what I want to do when I arrive, although have a multitude of skills which could see me heading in one of several different directions!

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Obviously, I want to earn the best money possible with the least amount of work and be able to achieve the 'lifestyle' we all seek.....

So lets have it....what are you all doing now, and without getting too personal, does it allow you a degree of freedom and enable you to live the 'lifestyle'? More importantly, are you happier doing whatever it is you do, than back in the UK?

I have similar dilema, do "same job, new country or new job, new country". I have been trying to decide on this for 6 months now.

I leave UK on 4th Feb. I am commodity trader, first day there I have a meeting with my sydney office to discuss working there, but may just try something completely different. I have to make some real decisons over next few months on my working life.

I think if you can afford some time out take 3 months off and think about what you want to do next. My girlfriend is director of a media company, this is her last week of work. She has had enought of the corporate life and the london grind (same for me). One of the reasons to go to Aus is to change our lifestyle, sure we will take huge cut in pay, but we hope we will be happier.

She is going to do a course in Photography and plans to take some time out. I think she will also think about what she does next.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Wicked story ...

Reckon you could of taken Kasparov ?

Originally Posted by fireeater
When I was in England I was a circus/variety performer and my main pastime was playing chess. I came to Melbourne, played in an international chess tournament and did well, and was offered a job coaching chess, so I'm now a full time chess teacher, with juggling as a hobby

It is just as rewarding, though for different reasons, but it is just as time consuming, if not more so. Sayingt that, I'm loving it and life here generally
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:08 am
Just Joined

bazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nice

I am a house husband by accident.I too have made the desicion to try something entirely different and avoid retail which is what iv'e done most of my life but as time ticks on not working is doing my head in.I have been here 2 months already and been waiting for the car to arrive so have been taking it easy just enjoying the time with my wife and daughter but now the missus has started work and the stark reality has hit.Stuck in doors with the inlaws is not fun.Anyway i'm starting to whinge which I promised myself I wouldn't do but I think i'm in good company .Good luck to the original poster and try and do some research before you get over here, with your array of skills I doubt you will have any problems.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:42 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Very similar to UK.... building surveyor Uk... building "consultant" here same job more or less, bit more money here.....
Old Dec 19th 2005, 4:02 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be the UK's laziest Accountant. Now I'm Australia's laziest Accountant.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What work do you do in OZ?

we are hopefully going to perth in may 06. i have been offered a post in the prison service as a clinical nurse on a work visa, and my wife has been offered a post in the A&E Dept in perth, she will be primary applicant on a 136 due to me being to old at 46 we also may live in rockingham or canning vale.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:55 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Im working for Coles express. A much better lifestyle but not anywhere as much dosh as I earnt in the UK...But hey I work 2 days a week at the moment I thought that was only how the other half lived...! At home I was a service technician for a japanese company who had a office and factory in the UK...Allot more stress and longer hours...I came out here for a lifestyle change and unless you are very lucky you will earn less to work less hours. Swings and round abouts. We are living in Warnbro so anything you want to know about the area Caz n Rob ask away..Hell when you get here look us up if you like...(I believe a few weeks ago Rob You were asking about the HGV thing...hubbys redoing his for the HR this week...let you know how it goes but hes been driving in the UK for 20 years and says the trucks are very different out here...but I think hes coping...just)
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by peppi
Im working for Coles express. A much better lifestyle but not anywhere as much dosh as I earnt in the UK...But hey I work 2 days a week at the moment I thought that was only how the other half lived...! At home I was a service technician for a japanese company who had a office and factory in the UK...Allot more stress and longer hours...I came out here for a lifestyle change and unless you are very lucky you will earn less to work less hours. Swings and round abouts. We are living in Warnbro so anything you want to know about the area Caz n Rob ask away..Hell when you get here look us up if you like...(I believe a few weeks ago Rob You were asking about the HGV thing...hubbys redoing his for the HR this week...let you know how it goes but hes been driving in the UK for 20 years and says the trucks are very different out here...but I think hes coping...just)
Thanx Peppi,,,,,,may just hold you to that!
Let us know how he gets on......I think when we first arrive, that driving will be my safest and quickest route into work short term - after sorting out my licenses etc....Dont plan on it long term though as Caz has her heart set on a nice big house with pool, a boat, and a long list of other lifestyle items that a truck drivers salary will just not pay for
Cant imagine that it's any worse a job than in the UK.....open roads, less congestion, nicer lorries etc.....we'll see
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:34 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

To major major major major major.. account it has been noted..
That the prime reason for which we got the visa has not been fulfilled...
Its ==>s (implies) that there will be shortage of people (and people will immigrate) if migrants dont work for the profession they were given visas..

Trust me... Picture what seems from far is not the same as you come to Australia..
I was a lead developer, System Analyst, a Dedicated Designer, desgined complex software stuff... now doing Admin (which is way out of the job)....
But till its soft'ie (Icecream) I would lick it..
- Bart
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
To major major major major major.. account it has been noted..
That the prime reason for which we got the visa has not been fulfilled...
Its ==>s (implies) that there will be shortage of people (and people will immigrate) if migrants dont work for the profession they were given visas..

Trust me... Picture what seems from far is not the same as you come to Australia..
I was a lead developer, System Analyst, a Dedicated Designer, desgined complex software stuff... now doing Admin (which is way out of the job)....
But till its soft'ie (Icecream) I would lick it..
- Bart
Bart

I don't know where you are from, but am assuming your not British.
Please attempt to make your posts legible and sensible (I'm yet to read one that is)!

From what I can ascertain, you are attempting to tell me that all is not what it seems, work wise in Australia?

I think we have already worked that one out ourselves - so no need to point it out!

As it happens, I am not a 'skilled visa' applicant, so can do what the heck I please when I arrive!!

The purpose of this thread is for people to share their experiences and comparisons of their jobs and the lifestlye that it affords them.

Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Corinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Working as a pastry chef again as I did in Germany. 38 Hour week, same stress right now before Christmas, but it´s better over here, start at 6am finish at 2pm which means I can spend the whole afternoon at the beach if I wish

Corinna

HGV Driver
IT/ software Sales

Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Corinna
Working as a pastry chef again as I did in Germany. 38 Hour week, same stress right now before Christmas, but it´s better over here, start at 6am finish at 2pm which means I can spend the whole afternoon at the beach if I wish

Corinna
Sounds wonderful Corinna!!!

Perfect hours for me....not sure if it's the perfect job though....must get bloomin hot in that kitchen?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Corinna is an unknown quantity at this point

It´s airconditioned!

QUOTE=ROBnCAZ]Sounds wonderful Corinna!!!

Perfect hours for me....not sure if it's the perfect job though....must get bloomin hot in that kitchen?[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.