Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you be doing this Xmas Day?

What will you be doing this Xmas Day?

Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:53 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of
Default What will you be doing this Xmas Day?

This is our second Aussie Xmas except last years was a none event as we only just moved in to our rental on the 23rd and had a free turkey which came with the Fridge / Freezer from Bing Lee and that was pretty much our Xmas. Didn't know anyone - didn't get to see anyone but did spend some of Xmas Day on the beach - then it rained! Don't get me wrong we ADORE Aussie and it might have started off a damp squib but the year has been awesome.

Anyway - we've started early with the shopping - got the fake 6' tree, got about 5 boxes of baubles and a few other little twinklie hangy things - got the 280 LED tree lights - got the garden stake lights and also the XMAS pudding!

Here's the question - what will YOU be doing by way of Aussie celebrations this Xmas Day and how will it differ to anything UK past?

We have 3 UK friends visiting and 3 friends from PMQ on the day so 8 of us in total. We're thinking of a BBQ around the pool - any ideas on food? Not really wanting to do the roast Great British thing but will have the pud cos that's the best bit. Won't be off down to the beach cos the council BBQs are free here so there will be a bun fight for them. Might venture into the ocean though in the morning - that would be real refreshing.

Just wondering if any ex-pats have started their own unique Aussie Crimbo traditions?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: What will you be doing this Xmas Day?

getting pissed, aussie and english xmases are pretty much the same really, just i'll be getting pissed in 40 degree heat which makes it all the more pleasant, and the hangover all the more unpleasant...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Probably being very restrained, trying to compromise a Christmas lunch for a bunch of vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists and a couple of paleo (organic meat and veg) eaters in a smallish family get together in Ballarat - probably in an apartment that we need to book. If it is anything like the Christmas we had there a few years ago, the sleet will be coming in horizontally or, alternatively it could be hot enough to fry the meat out on the verandah without benefit of any cooking appliances if it follows the trend of another Christmas we had there quite recently.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:17 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr PP will more than likely be working so I guess I shall have a few cold beers and watch the cat and dog fight like cat and dog which they seem to be good at

Just try and adapt to it all I guess with it being my first one and all.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:22 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Think we're going to go to the beach after opening the pressies... tho, in the true aussie manner that I've heard so much of, we have just been invited over to spend it with the family of the caravan park that we stayed in whilst we were looking for our rental.. hows that for friendliness?!!!

Am going to get a tree and might even make a chrimble pudding.. seriously won't be doing the roast dinner.. will save that for next year.. one year on and one year off is my plan!

Em x
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

Roast Beef and Yorkshire pud with the family.

Cooking will be done outside in the Hooded BBQ, to keep the house free from too much heat.

Will almost certainly eat outside too, and those that wish can jump in the pool.

The Roast Beef and Yorkshire pud will be a change for us as its normally Prawns and other various seafood, and cold chicken or turkey.

Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea. It's not on my radar yet.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No idea. It's not on my radar yet.
WOrking All I need is a good East Coast Low Pressure area like last year to make it perfect

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 2nd 2008 at 8:37 am.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

God only knows!!

I (+missus) will have been in the country for all of 25 days by then...

It won't unfortunately be a family affair but I'm sure we'll find something to do, even though it may not feel xmassy as a typical UK one. (i.e. Cold weather et al!)
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The usual. Sleep in a bit, have brekkie, open some presents, lunch then to the beach for a swim before coming home for bbq dinner. Afterwards it's next door for an evening with the next door neighbours in the spa with some bubbly.
My kids love Christmas because they get champagne with the orange juice at breakfast and my son (12) is allowed to have a glass of beer and my daughter (14) is allowed a glass of sparkling wine when we go next door .
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I will be patrolling my local beach in the red and yellow.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Back in Blighty with all my family, having a proper family Chrissy!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Back in Blighty with all my family, having a proper family Chrissy!
Right down to the 3pm snooze on the sofa with The Italian Job flickering away on the goggle box in the background, bright purple paper crown all skew-wiff?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Right down to the 3pm snooze on the sofa with The Italian Job flickering away on the goggle box in the background, bright purple paper crown all skew-wiff?
hell yeah!

p.s. actually in my family it's usually an apres-lunch boogie to the beatles or the stones or something (or captain beefheart/steely dan if my mum is feeling particularly vengeful!). four generations, pissed, and attempting to dance to the beat - haha! .... then a snooze.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Back in the Uk .... Maidstone Kent with family and friends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.