Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you be doing this Christmas?

What will you be doing this Christmas?

Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: What will you be doing this Christmas?

Originally posted by Ginny
Hi all,

Cold crisp winter sitting around a large christmas dinner dreaming of sun, sea and sand!

Our friends have just moved back to Syndey in June and are planning on having a seafood barbie whilst we tuck into our turkey and watch the frost (and possible snow) outside!

I was just wondering what everyone out there is doing for their christmas?

Whatever it is have a good one and hopefully a fantastic new year.

Love Ginny
Dreaming of a British Christmas.

The seafood barbeques get boring after a while.. honestly, they are nothing special. It's too warm to cook here, hence the barbeque /pool Christmas
I've never got used to a warm Christmas even after 11 years of living in hot countries.

There is less Christmas spirit too. Hard to explain, but I even found Singapore more Christmassy than Australia believe it or not (perhaps because they have a few of their own holidays around the xmas period).
Anyway, Christmas for me will be seafood dinner, barbeques and more barbeques... yawn, cold beer, and more cold beer, maybe go out on the bay in the boat... all depends, go with the flow.

cheers
Old Dec 19th 2002, 12:39 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri
Dreaming of a British Christmas.

The seafood barbeques get boring after a while.. honestly, they are nothing special. It's too warm to cook here, hence the barbeque /pool Christmas
I've never got used to a warm Christmas even after 11 years of living in hot countries.

There is less Christmas spirit too. Hard to explain, but I even found Singapore more Christmassy than Australia believe it or not (perhaps because they have a few of their own holidays around the xmas period).
Anyway, Christmas for me will be seafood dinner, barbeques and more barbeques... yawn, cold beer, and more cold beer, maybe go out on the bay in the boat... all depends, go with the flow.

cheers
I agree Ceri. My wife and I were talking about what to do on christmas day (we leave for a holiday on boxing day) and every suggestion I made was met with a frown - cook a turkey (frown), go to a hotel for a slap up meal (frown), picnic on the beach (frown), bbq with some friends (frown). So, i say, you tell me what you want to do. Answer - get on a plane to england! christmas day here feels just like any other public holiday really. I recall christmas day on the gold coast 5 years ago with my brother - we played pool all afternoon at the local pool hall that was full of punters behaving like it was any ordinary saturday afternoon. All very alien when your from a culture that really celebrates the whole occassion.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Eatting 2 christmas dinners one in resturant and then off to a friends house for another some how got double booked , it has been 40c on Christmas day before here not a day that a roast dinner sits well on never mind 2.
Give me christrmas lunch in an English Pub any time theres little or no christmas spirit here at all, sun and barbie sounds great to you but here thats an everday thing like the song says "do they know its Christmas time at all"
yep-it definately not christmas-all christmas is used for is to sell consumer goods-the distinct lack of a "Merry Christmas" in melbourne is freightening-all they do is run around like loonies buying, buying, buying for what? we will just having it with my family(two kids)-i dont want to be surrounded by nutters and the miserable melbourne people-the weather well anything could happen-it snowed on the high alps the other day-"melbourne miserable one day , bloody awfull the next"
Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what will you be doing this christmas

Originally posted by mullen
Gone posh PB?must be an English pub near by I am sure you could squeeze a third in.Spread the Christmas cheer wear your red and white outfit with pride(Look out for all the Liverpool fans now)Do you miss an English pubs Christmas fare so much the last one I had could have walked out the pub.....YUK.
Tip for you with the 2 Christmas dinners ,get your bearings durring the second know where the toilet is plan the shortest route........
Its a sad fact that you NOT ALLOWED to be english in this country-i wore a union jack to the cricket (world cup england v pakistan)and you should have seen the abuse-"pommie go home" etc-the aussies even supported pakistan against england thats what the aussies are like-that was a few years ago(YOUNG/naive)-
go ahead be my guest ignore the prejudice here and you will be alright-can you dismiss who you are in order to fit in?
Old Dec 19th 2002, 3:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
Its a sad fact that you NOT ALLOWED to be english in this country-i wore a union jack to the cricket (world cup england v pakistan)and you should have seen the abuse-"pommie go home" etc-the aussies even supported pakistan against england thats what the aussies are like-that was a few years ago(YOUNG/naive)-
go ahead be my guest ignore the prejudice here and you will be alright-can you dismiss who you are in order to fit in?

This happens in most of Australia they wear a chip on both shouders its in bred from an early age they distort history in order to blacken the Poms.
One thing that bores me to tears is the diggers at Gallpolli , no one in Australia has been told the truth about it ,they have no idea that they were a small part of the landings and fared well compared to the British Soldiers who did most of the fighting .
All you hear how brave they are and how we abandon them total crap .out of all the Battles in the First World War thats the only one they can recall.

The Gallipoli operation cost 26,111 Australian casualties of whom 8,141 were killed.

In addition New Zealand suffered 7,571 casualties of whom 2,431 were killed.

Britain endured a total of 120,000 casualties at Gallipoli (21,255 killed) and the French 27,000 (approximately 10,000 killed).

Other participants in the campaign who suffered casualties were India (1,350 killed) and Newfoundland (49 killed).

The Turkish total was probably about 220,000 with a much higher percentage killed.

For all you sad Aussies how will try to argue with this try this site its facts not bollocks.

http://history1900s.about.com/gi/dyn...Fgallipoli.htm

http://www.ibiscom.com/gallipoli.htm

this is a bit more edited

http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Alley/5443/gall.htm

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 3:42 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommie bastard
This happens in most of Australia they wear a chip on both shouders its in bred from an early age they distort history in order to blacken the Poms.
One thing that bores me to tears is the diggers at Gallpolli , no one in Australia has been told the truth about it ,they have no idea that they were a small part of the landings and fared well compared to the British Soldiers who did most of the fighting .
All you hear how brave they are and how we abandon them total crap .out of all the Battles in the First World War thats the only one they can recall.

The Gallipoli operation cost 26,111 Australian casualties of whom 8,141 were killed.

In addition New Zealand suffered 7,571 casualties of whom 2,431 were killed.

Britain endured a total of 120,000 casualties at Gallipoli (21,255 killed) and the French 27,000 (approximately 10,000 killed).

Other participants in the campaign who suffered casualties were India (1,350 killed) and Newfoundland (49 killed).

The Turkish total was probably about 220,000 with a much higher percentage killed.

For all you sad Aussies how will try to argue with this try this site its facts not bollocks.

http://history1900s.about.com/gi/dyn...Fgallipoli.htm

http://www.ibiscom.com/gallipoli.htm

this is a bit more edited

http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Alley/5443/gall.htm

[/QUOTE

PB I do agree that Aussies have nothing, and I mean nothing compared to the loss of life of Brit's duing two world wars, and yes they do boast themselves up. But please don't take away the fact that they did lose life, even though it was of course a lot less than Britain's. They may have had nothing compared us like the bombings of London, and my hometown of Swansea, and the loss of life fighting in the east and Europe, but still there are people in Australia that did fight the same as my British grandfather putting their lives on the line, there are people in Australia which lost lives too in both ww's... it's not a competion to see how many fought and lost lives, all allied soldiers of ww1 and 2 deserve respect. And I for one will take my hat off to any Aussie Digger... these old blokes deserve respect, and if my grandfather who fought for the British army was alive today he'd say the same thing as I am saying, and tip his hat to an old aussie soldier

cheers
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:13 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose
the commemoration of gallipoli has nothing to do with this
the veterans - and I remember some of them as a child - just wanted us to know the brutal realities of war, something they had not realised when they set off on a wave of patriotism and adventure. one third of them had been born in britain
they were not anti british and they were not bitter

and chips are best with vinegar
So why does the present Aussie whine on and on about being sold out by the Brits ? the day for thought on this matter world is the 11 November , the way the Aussies tell it they were the only ones there its was a small battle in the First world war terms .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 4:32 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

So why does the present Aussie whine on and on about being sold out by the Brits ? the day for thought on this matter world is the 11 November , the way the Aussies tell it they where the only ones there its was a small battle in the First world war terms .

If you want a juicy story.. read about General Gorden Bennett Aussie .. who left his troops in south east Asia and fled back to Australia, bailed out. Where do you think that saying comes from "Gorden Bennett" .. national Australian disgrace.. left his troops there, interesting story if you can find it.. try checking the British sites for it, you won't find it here in Aus.

But don't put down the old Aussie soldiers who fought and lost lives the same as my grandparents. And don't blame them for a few loud mouth Aussies who know nothing.
The Aussie diggers, and the Aussie soldiers who fought in ww1 and 2 deserve respect.. they risked their lives too, and lost blood. Just because it was less doesn't mean anything. Their soldiers who fought were just as brave as my family/ancestors.

cheers
Old Dec 19th 2002, 4:48 am
Banned

I don't want to keep posting PB
I have made a decision to Quit

but
gallipoli was the first national "event" after Federation (in 1901) so it therefore has national importance
australian troops had previously been to the sudan and fought in the boer war but as state contingents not as national
gallipoli is not as significant as the western front where australian troops were brought under control of a very courageous and brilliant australian general john monash
a lot of mistakes were made at gallipoli - by australians as well as the british leaders and it is recognised that all the troops suffered as a result irrespective of nationality. the turks also suffered losses and the turkish community in sydney have named their mosque the gallipoli mosque in memory of both sides in the conflict
many of the bereaved knew that they would never be able to travel to see the graves of their dead relatives and that is why so many memorials were built - to give people a place to grieve
you misunderstand the way we approach our history
this is not a culture of blame
it is to learn from the past and not to repeat mistakes.
Now come on Rose you are making good points , having seen how the Media approach this subject its little wonder I have the wrong idea .
The Aussies have tried to personalize warfare in making ANZAC day a public holiday where as rememberance day passes nearly without comment , Gallipoli is held up as an icon and blame there was quite rightly, the man who stuffed it was Churchill who did better in the Second War.
Having watched the Film Gallpoli yet another twist of the truth , its not hard to see why there is bad feeling towards the Poms over it.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 5:09 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:08 am
Banned

WW1 was high proportionally for australia
300,000 volunteered from a population of 3 million
60,000 died on the western front
30,000 died from war injuries shortly after return home
many more were physically and emotionally crippled
WW1 devastated that generation

WW2 was different
darwin and northern australia were bombed by the japanese
sydney harbour was entered by midget japanese submarines and torpedoed and the eastern sydney beaches as well
australia was directly attacked - at a time when australian troops were away fighting in the middle east or otherwise involved eg battle of britain
that was the problem. australia was undefended
that is why australia went into the american alliance in 1942 - over churchill's objections.
our defence treaty is with america, not britain - ANZUS treaty signed in 1951 it is currently activated because of september 11
we were also in vietnam (britain was not) nevertheless there are still a number of links between the foces of both oz and uk

Sod me the UK had it easy you had your beaches bombed , the London Blitz was nothing compared to that.
Most of the Aussie troops were used in the middle east and fast East none where involved in the landings in France.
Yes you did go to Vietnam and got out as soon as you could , maybe if Britain had gone in maybe the clueless Yankies would have won seeing that they win sod all without us.
Our forces are closely linked and have respect for each other , though your Media has tried to destroy all links with the UK.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 5:15 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

WW1 was high proportionally for australia
300,000 volunteered from a population of 3 million
60,000 died on the western front
30,000 died from war injuries shortly after return home
many more were physically and emotionally crippled
WW1 devastated that generation

WW2 was different
darwin and northern australia were bombed by the japanese
sydney harbour was entered by midget japanese submarines and torpedoed and the eastern sydney beaches as well
australia was directly attacked - at a time when australian troops were away fighting in the middle east or otherwise involved eg battle of britain
that was the problem. australia was undefended
that is why australia went into the american alliance in 1942 - over churchill's objections.
our defence treaty is with america, not britain - ANZUS treaty signed in 1951 it is currently activated because of september 11
we were also in vietnam (britain was not) nevertheless there are still a number of links between the foces of both oz and uk

I don't see the prob here, and we've hijacked someone else's post about Christmas, which is supposed to be happy (sorry). Australia went to Vietnam because of the agreement between Aus and America. Britain did not because we did not agree with the war on Vietnam.
Britain is still protecting this country.. and the reason for not defending your one bomb in the Northern territory was we were defending ourselves, I think bombs being dropped on our cities killing thousands was a bit more important at the time, plus fighting in Asia (my grandfather was there), plus fighting in Europe, Africa.. You can not compare any bombings in Aus (what was it a few aborigines got hit in the North) to anything in Britain... cities flattened.

Anyway on the other hand PB you are wrong for slagging off Australia effort to the war! And it's most disrespectful. Australian soldiers lost blood,put their lives on the line, they suffered too. Don't put them down. Even my grandfather would probably deck you one for slagging off an Aussie soldier if he was alive today. All these soldiers deserve respect for what they did, and the blood they lost. It's not a competion you know PB. Both countries fought and lost lives, Britain more so, but it dosen't make the Aussie effort to the war any less. They both deserve respect

cheers
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:14 am
Banned

who believes films
I must say mel gibson was better then than now, though
anzac day is a day to focus on australian war losses, wherever they have happened
many migrants walk and join in - including british migrants, PB

churchill has a mixed reputation here
he was certainly prescient in seeing hitler's evil and courageous to stand against him and a great inspirational leader
but his relationship with australia was troubled. he wanted britain to win the war with its imperial power intact and knew that the US was anti the european empires. That is probably why he tried to block the american- australian alliance in 1942. But it was the only solution for australia at the time and his detouring of australian troops returning to defend australia (to burma) particularly upset people here
churchill felt that the australian irish population here were the problem, anti british. But the australian irish were australian nationalists not irish nationalists.

on a different note, churchill also was a powerful voice against british women getting the vote
that is why we had women voting here in 1901, britain not until 1918

just a man from the victorian era, I think, for better for worse
Just a thought here the Yanks gave you lot a right ear bashing about your performance in PNG in the WW2 and took command away from you they have no time for anyone bar themselfs their interests come first.

Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:18 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ceri

Anyway on the other hand PB you are wrong for slagging off Australia effort to the war! And it's most disrespectful. Australian soldiers lost blood,put their lives on the line, they suffered too. Don't put them down. Even my grandfather would probably deck you one for slagging off an Aussie soldier if he was alive today. All these soldiers deserve respect for what they did, and the blood they lost. It's not a competion you know PB. Both countries fought and lost lives, Britain more so, but it dosen't make the Aussie effort to the war any less. They both deserve respect

cheers
I may be posting this in a wrong manner , its the Media here that bug me those who fought deserve honour and respect not given by the Aussie press to the Brits.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:22 am
Banned

yes they look after themselves first
but why not
that is the way their democracy works - from the people

as for ear bashing, pB, I would vote for you anytime
Sorry Rose you win me over everytime far too smart for me , please come and sort Perth out, it would be worth stopping if half of them here were like you.
Forget the Americans they could not point to Australia on a map , never mind give a sod about it.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 19th 2002 at 5:29 am.
Old Dec 19th 2002, 5:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I may be posting this in a wrong manner , its the Media here that bug me those who fought deserve honour and respect not given by the Aussie press to the Brits.
well don't listen to the media, if I listned to every little jibe on Aussie news it would get to me too.
We all know Britain suffered, and I don't see the point in comparing it to Australia. All allied soldiers deserve respect.

And sorry Ginny for hijacking your thread that's supposed to be about christmas, how this got started I don't know.

cheers

last word on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.