Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what where your main frustrations when you first moved to Oz

Wikiposts

what where your main frustrations when you first moved to Oz

Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nows heres a question that just makes my new family dissolve in puzzled giggles - you have "rellies" and "firies" but "ambos" and "salvos" - OK, I can cope with shortening everything - but HOW do you decide with it becomes an "ie" or an "o"? I've used the wrong one a couple of times with more unfamiliar ones, and it keeps them chuckling for hours!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:24 pm
Badge

is there a little poem or something to help you determine...??!!

Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:08 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
Not knowing the name of things!

Still feel a big Wally when trying to buy things in shops and do not get the right name, yep there are the usual things like Doona/Duvet etc. But spent last Saturday trying to get extra bits and pieces for the house. The minute I asked for something I was looking for in certain shops and they went wha? (no t’s in Sydney) I started stammering (emotive tic) so along with the Belfast accent it made it all worse. Loads of Money to spend (been saving for a year to get the extra bits for our new house)…..Sunday I stayed home!!!

I wanted a fridge – just a fridge – ie no freezer part……hard to get
I wanted a fridge/freezer with the fridge on top, but I wanted an ice tray not just drawers in the freezer part….ah upside down one….Yes cost more and no ice tray
I wanted a pressure washer for the patio…gave up trying to find what I supposed to ask for.
When buying a new suite for the lounge, found out it is just called a lounge…no not the room the suite!
Of course this is all very very trivial but at times it does make some of the process harder trying to fit in and get on.
I can learn things quick in IT terms so why can't I learn to say EFTPOS instead of SWITCH and when asked is that Savings…why do I stammer saying Cheque.

I like things too – when I get over the crap I am talking, some people go out of their way to help me and explain what it is I am looking for.
I now have a local butcher here (brilliant South African place run by a guy from North of England – recognized my Reading Football Shirt!)
The people I work with think it is great fun talking the piss out of me but also laughed when I turned up on Monday in a NZ Rugby Shirt (for those that don’t know the Wallibies were stuffed on Sat).

Over all it is a case of take your time – rant and rave when you get home and go out next time with a big smile on your face…..response is definitely better. Cause in the case of the earlier post about banks….my new bank manager at the bank for my mortgage did not like me telling her she was running a legalised crime industry with the fees she charged!

Much Fun

Your on the right track, you look like a survivor, i like the Wallabies thing Aussies like that sort of humour................ MM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:10 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Nows heres a question that just makes my new family dissolve in puzzled giggles - you have "rellies" and "firies" but "ambos" and "salvos" - OK, I can cope with shortening everything - but HOW do you decide with it becomes an "ie" or an "o"? I've used the wrong one a couple of times with more unfamiliar ones, and it keeps them chuckling for hours!
you sound like a "Drongo".............. MM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

thanks for your input everyone it is good to see and read the key frustrations.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:02 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mm - its DrongO then, not DrongIE is it?!!!

I know its daft - its just one of those things that came to me after a few too many Cascades. The Bloke already thinks I'm crackers - I'm just trying to prove it now......
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: what where your main frustrations when you first moved to Oz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carrianne
Being the realist I am I would appreciate any comments on the feelings and frustrations you felt on arriving and settling in Oz.

I wish I could let you know but I haven't got there yet. If only ...
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Wonder if they dance round their handbags in Oz like they do over here....!!
Love the avatar Tina, makes me smile whenever I see it!
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:50 am
Carol in Oz

Default Re: what where your main frustrations when you first moved to Oz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinaj
Originally posted by Carrianne
Being the realist I am I would appreciate any comments on the feelings and frustrations you felt on arriving and settling in Oz.

I wish I could let you know but I haven't got there yet. If only ...
www.aussieslang.com/
Just one site of many.
When first arrived waiting to be served in a shop get asked 'you right'. Uh? ' you right?' I want to buy this I says.
Reply to that was ' yes thats what I said 'you right'.

Hear it everywhere now 'you right there mate'

Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Pollyanna

I couldnt sleep last night (too much curry on a pregnant tummy) and despite having loads of problems to mull over, the sad git that i am couldnt get your "ie" or "o" problem out of my head, i eventually came to the conclusion that it is a gender thing, like french une and un, ie une bier (f) "tinnie" La cuisine (f) barbie, my husband is John (Johnno) my son Dominic (dommo) but i would be Lynnie, the next qhestion is how do you figure out which is male and female, this is probably whay i failed higher french, it could be of course that you just go with whatever sounds right, you'd sound daft drinking out of a tinno and your binman might walk funny if he was a garbie. Anyway after i reached this conclusion i slept very soundly, i hope it hasnt done the same for you.

Lynn
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:42 pm
Badge

Originally posted by lynnj
Pollyanna

I couldnt sleep last night (too much curry on a pregnant tummy) and despite having loads of problems to mull over, the sad git that i am couldnt get your "ie" or "o" problem out of my head, i eventually came to the conclusion that it is a gender thing, like french une and un, ie une bier (f) "tinnie" La cuisine (f) barbie, my husband is John (Johnno) my son Dominic (dommo) but i would be Lynnie, the next qhestion is how do you figure out which is male and female, this is probably whay i failed higher french, it could be of course that you just go with whatever sounds right, you'd sound daft drinking out of a tinno and your binman might walk funny if he was a garbie. Anyway after i reached this conclusion i slept very soundly, i hope it hasnt done the same for you.

Lynn
brilliant, just brilliant. All our best ideas come to us late at night.

So a "firie" (f) is really an old sheila ?? Just like French there are always blokey things that are feminine.

As to your question. Males have do dahs and females don't.

Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Strewth, thats how i managed to get pregnant again is it!!!! i didnt actually know what a firie was, its not one i'be come across before.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:48 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

as a NZer in the uk (I know I'm out of place here but this board fascinates me as many of the things that irk me about the UK are the things that irk you lot about Aust/NZ only in reverse!!)

the driving thing..... I couldn't BELIEVE how courteous the drivers here in the UK were when I got here.... people are always so busy waving me through and flashing their lights - I just wanted them to hurry up and drive - it's just a different attitude. In NZ flashing your lights at someone usually means there's a cop around the corner, or is a very aggressive gesture to someone who's pissed you off! So I had no idea why people were flashing their lights at me to pull out into traffic - you just don't do it.

And nobody has bells on bicycles either - let alone use them. Bells in NZ are kids things - so I was really bemused when I came here and people ring their bells at me!

Oh.... and what on earth is a pressure washer??
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

A pressure washer is an essential bit of mans kit, well my husband always seems to finad a use for it at the weekend, clean the car, clean the patio, get the moss off the roof etc,etc....we were going to leave ours here but we've been told that they are fab for blasting spiders to oblivion from under your gutters and other places they love to hide!
Old Aug 1st 2003, 12:39 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

oh..... sounds like a 'water blaster'.....

at least that's what they're called in NZ, not sure about Aust.

*cue broad aussie accent....*

that'll get your patio cleaner quicker than a snake up a drainpipe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.