Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What were your biggest chanllenges?

What were your biggest chanllenges?

Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were your biggest chanllenges?

Originally Posted by amanda34
The shopping is another, you really have to be prepared and always have enough milk, bread etc in the house as popping out to the shop in the evening, early morning or on a Sunday is pretty impossible....and thats in a city!!
That's also only in Perth.

You can buy whatever you like - 24 x 7 - in all the cities in all the other states.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:25 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
That's also only in Perth.

You can buy whatever you like - 24 x 7 - in all the cities in all the other states.
Err not in our city it closes 12pm Sat re-opens Mon 9am. Oh and Tuesday is half day closing Maybe in 20 yrs they'll stay open on Saturday afternoon
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Err not in our city it closes 12pm Sat re-opens Mon 9am. Oh and Tuesday is half day closing Maybe in 20 yrs they'll stay open on Saturday afternoon
Is Gympie a city?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Is Gympie a city?

Yes Gympie is now a city

Has been for 101 years according to this

http://www.govhouse.qld.gov.au/the_g...gympieball.asp

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 16th 2006 at 10:52 am.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Getting used to cockroaches.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes Gympie is now a city

Has been for 101 years according to this

http://www.govhouse.qld.gov.au/the_g...gympieball.asp
Blimey!

Would never have thought it. Must be a bit like the 'City of the Blue Mountains' down here. One of the wildest areas in the state, covering a huge region and consisting of dozens of tiny villages, yet because the population of the region has hit some magic number it mysteriously turned into a 'city'.

Maybe I should qualify my original remark -

"You can buy whatever you like - 24 x 7 - in all the cities (by cities I mean, large urban areas populated by over 200,000 people) in all the other states."
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:20 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Well, we have been here now for 7 months and have found that everything has been a smooth transistion so not really a challenge.

Life here is very much relaxed and having a stress free job (and shorter hours) just tops it off.

Live life to the max!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Abhi is on a distinguished road

Getting adjusted to the fact that the shops close here by 5 and it is a party time here only on thursday( as the shops are open till 9 PM)
also being able to cope up with the erratic train schedules during the weekends
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by dade
For those who are already in Australia, what were your biggest challenges when you got there? If you could share a couple of things that you found challenging that you would advise any new immigrants to be prepared for that would be great.

Thanks
Sani

Not being prepared to the depth and length of homesickness that both myself and my hubby had for a good year and a bit (and every so often now) was a huge challenge and put a downer on a lot of things.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I think the biggest challenge was surviving while unable to work because of licence delays. I did odd jobs and even trips out on prawn trawlers and crab boats to make a bit of spare cash.
The second biggest challenge was living with my parents for 18 months and not murdering either of them, not an experience I'd ever like to repeat.
18 months!! Sod that! We had three months and it nearly drove the wife and I stark bollock staring mad.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Wife's homesickness, having to get a brand new social circle from scratch and trying not to appear too desperate - "will you be my friend?", finding a suburb you like, getting a job.

It's pretty tough. I'm glad I've done it but I would NOT like to have to do it all over again, no way.
exactly the same for us too...finding new friends
Unfortunatley there are many many challenges once you get here...you get over one problem, then another one arises and so on...takes ages
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:47 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey!

Would never have thought it. Must be a bit like the 'City of the Blue Mountains' down here. One of the wildest areas in the state, covering a huge region and consisting of dozens of tiny villages, yet because the population of the region has hit some magic number it mysteriously turned into a 'city'.

Maybe I should qualify my original remark -

"You can buy whatever you like - 24 x 7 - in all the cities (by cities I mean, large urban areas populated by over 200,000 people) in all the other states."

You mean, I live in a City? Bloody hell, I thought I lived in the sticks! I'm moving to Penrith immediately.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Louise M
I AM the Cockroach Bait Queen! (and they work!)
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
18 months!! Sod that! We had three months and it nearly drove the wife and I stark bollock staring mad.

Tee hee - so I read.

Your mum and mine would get on great!!!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Wife's homesickness, having to get a brand new social circle from scratch and trying not to appear too desperate - "will you be my friend?"

But do you not find that people are aware that because you have moved continents, you are unlikely to have any local friends, and so make more of an effort?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.