Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are we like!

What are we like!

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we like!

Sound like typical Oz neighbours!

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Sindy

fab post, i can only imagine how you felt when you realised your mistake, but maybe it was meant to happen to let you see how fab your neighbours were, its people like that who make you realise that you have made the right move. Glad your plumbing is fixed too.

Keep enjoying your new life

Lynn
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Sindy is it good to hear from you. You survived that well considering!

Thanks for the long post we love reading your updates and it is great to hear that you are enjoying it out there.

Keep posting!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:57 pm
WBB

great post sindy, even with all the trauma of the last week i bet you wouldnt change things for the world.

keep us posted.

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sindy
G'day

Ok, as we have now been here for almost a month it's time for the second update on our never ending adventure down under.

So there we were sitting pretty in our temporary rented accommodation on the morning of 26th September. We were all set for the move to our new premises the next day. Unusually for us we had already arranged for a seamless transition to the new place by arranging for our relatives and a convoy of vehicles to arrive the next morning to pick up our stuff. So what could possibly go wrong?

Well, as we sat contentedly in our lounge discussing the planned activities for the day (Morning coffee with Jockney and his family down by the beach, pre – employment medical for Bill at 2pm, and a trip to the estate agent to pick up our keys later in the afternoon for our new rented home) when a tap on the door interrupted our conversation. I answered the door and there stood our apartment cleaners, I explained that as we would be leaving the next day that perhaps it would be best if they returned tomorrow. "Sorry, thought it was today�. they said, “Nah� said me, “Its definitely tomorrow�. They looked puzzled but left to continue cleaning another apartment.

Told Bill what they had said, that they thought we were leaving today, to which he reassured me, for two seconds, with “Nope, we are definitely booked in here until the 26th�. An uneasy silence followed this sentence as we looked in horror at each other. “Err, wait a minute, today is the 26th……..Ahhhhhhhh!�

The scenes that followed would not have looked out of place in a Keystone cops movie. Bill called the apartment owners in the hope of extending our stay only to find out that a family of six were due to arrive at midday and the cleaners needed to be in by 10am to fix up the apartment. It was now 9.45! What were we going to do now? We had to be out of the apartment in the next 15 mins and we had our arrival baggage of nearly 200Kg of luggage, plus a variety of new bulky articles (Pillows, quilts sheets, cutlery etc) for the new house scattered around the apartment! Bloody hell!!

This was definitely our darkest hour (or near to the top, we seem to have so many!). Even if we could quickly get it all together, which would be impossible, where would we put it? We thought of outside but then dead on cue the skies clouded over and a torrential downpour started, accompanied by some very high winds outside of the apartment (or was that Bill and I!).

There seemed to be no way out, we dropped into auto pilot and continued to assemble our belongings and pile them up by the door. I was like a zombie, very pale, vacant, and desperately trying not to cry. Another tap on the door stopped our frantic activities in there tracks. “What now, I know its 10am but geeze, give us a chance�. Thankfully it was our upstairs neighbour who had heard of our plight and had come down to lend a hand. “Hey� she said “Don't worry about anything, we can take all of your stuff in while you sort yourselves out�. Lisa, my neighbour (that I had never met before) told me afterward that she could tell by just one look at my face that I wasn't handling things well, so she decided to take charge. She gave me a bag and told me to just take everything out of drawers and from tops of tables and just throw it in the bag "you can always sort it out later upstairs" she said. I think if she hadn't been there I would probably still be clearing out the apartment! She got the boys organised into taking the light bags and suitcases upstairs and found something for Rosina (5) to do so she was occupied and out of the way.

Bill then rang the telephone company and arranged for the line to be disconnected ASAP - the last thing we wanted was for the next people running up a huge telephone bill for us (we can do a good enough job of that ourselves!) Lisa came back into our apartment from one of her many trips and suddenly announced that she had just called her husband and that he would be coming home from work to help us out!! As he was nearby it would only take about 10 mins. Sure enough about 10 mins later Mark (Lisa’s husband) appeared. As well as helping move our stuff he also took it upon himself to ring around and try to find us alternative accommodation. This proved difficult as the next two weeks are school holidays and everywhere seemed to be booked solid. Eventually he found somewhere nearby - phew - and by 10:40 we had moved everything out of our apartment, and turned their apartment into something that resembled a cross between a tip and an obstacle course.

Mark and Lisa were absolutely awesome. Having helped us out of a massive predicament they now proceeded to make us all tea and coffee and helped us to calm down a bit. They told us that they had moved at least 10 times which was why they were quite expert and organised. They then let us use their phone to call for a taxi to take us into Adelaide for Bill to have his medical (high blood pressure or what!). Lisa offered to look after Lewis for us until we got back as he had been playing with her son David (also 9) for the past three weeks and they had become inseparable (Oh dear, another boo hoo time for Lewis )

Mark told Bill to try and not stress out to much about the job, he said he felt sure that he would get it, as after all that we had been through we had stuck it out, so we were obviously meant to be here, but if things didn't work out job wise he would get him a job working with him for Telstra (Australia's equivalent to BT)

The medical surprisingly went ok and we picked the keys up from the estate agent with no hitch. When we returned Lisa offered to keep Lewis until later that evening (and feed him) and Mark would bring him over to our motel when he returned from work. They had also said that they were happy to hold onto all of our stuff until it was picked up the next day. You wouldn't believe the state of their apartment, they could hardly move. When Mark dropped Lewis off that night he said that he and Lisa had been discussing our situation (Endowment not through yet) and that they were both willing to lend us some money to see us through until the house was sold! Flipping heck, they can't be normal people, more like our guardian angels! Naturally we declined but wow, what an offer, and from strangers.

I can't believe how friendly and helpful the people have been here. When we were out in a little cafe having a snack the owner, when finding out we had just migrated, asked if we had been to the local estate agents. We said no, that was our next port of call and she said "no worries, i'll nip out for you" She was the only person working in the cafe so closed for five minutes and left us inside to carry on eating. Can't see that happening too much in England!

The generosity of all of the australians we have met has been overwhelming. My cousins all pitched in to help us move and loaned us an amazing amount of stuff to tide us over.

Sorry it's another big post,

Sindy

That is a great story....... you will be telling that for years hope everything else goes right for you
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:39 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

good old Adelaide people goes to show how friendly Aussies are,sindy if its any consequence,we have people Forget , their moving dates all the time, bit embarrased when we roll up on the door step, "we thought it was tommorrow"............... MM
Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi Sindy and Bill,

Wow you guys have had a tough time of it!

It is so good that you met people who were prepared to help when you needed it most! I hope all goes well for you now and you can settle into your new life. How are the kids coping? Have you got them into school yet?

Best of luck on the job front, you've made it this far, lets hope you can now start relaxing. Any news on your house sale?

We are off to the Essex meet this weekend, it won't be quite the same without you!

Hazel
Hi Hazel

Yep, there sure are some good people about. I have to say that we totally agree with Badgers, Tennisoz, Rog,and Mr Mover who say that the people we have met are typical. Everyone we have met so far has been really really friendly and helpful. And yes Welshboybilly, we woudn't change a thing!

We have been in our new house now for a week and are really loving it. The children have settled in well and are eager to start school :lecture: on the 13th October. I am very eager for them to start as well as they have been under my feet for 11 weeks now!

We are hoping that Bill has a job, he recieved a phone call asking him to come in on Wednesday to "discuss an offer"

On the house front, we have a buyer but the contract hasn't been signed yet, I'm praying all goes well after all the horror stories I have heard from other people.

Hope you have some nice weather for the meet today. Good luck

Sindy
Old Oct 5th 2003, 8:39 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hi

Sorry Footie chick, it was rather lengthy

I'm glad we are not the only people to have made such a mistake, I feel so daft about it now!

Are you going to the Essex meet? We are looking forward to Sunday although I hope the weather picks up a bit as it has been rather cloudy and cold. My son Scott said to me the other day "I thought you said it was sunny and hot in Australia" Come the summer and I will make him eat his words!

Although we have had quite a few hiccups along the way we wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world.

Hope all is well,

Sindy
Hi Sindy
Sorry about the email I just sent you, now that I have read your posts it seems that you have had a bit of a drama (that's putting it mildly!!!!)
It's great to know you must have a great sense of humour and seem cool and collected!!!!
Hope to hear from you soon.
Debs
Old Oct 6th 2003, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great story Glad to hear everything worked out in the end, you'll look back and laugh one day but at the time I bet it was pretty damn stressful!!!

Russ

just remember:
Attached Thumbnails What are we like!-bad-day.jpg  
Old Oct 6th 2003, 8:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see it got sorted in the end. Hope Bill gets a job and the house goes through! Keep us posted, they make for excellent reading
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Sindy & Bill
Was just wondering how you were getting on - any chance of an update?
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Ironic you mention them Debsy.

One of the girls at our hen night on Saturday was talking about them. It seems after meeting up etc, and all was fine, they suddenly disappeared into thin air and havent been heard of since!!

Very bizarre!! I never really knew them as i hadnt joined the board till a few months ago
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 5:59 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

G'day

Ok, as we have now been here for almost a month it's time for the second update on our never ending adventure down under.

So there we were sitting pretty in our temporary rented accommodation on the morning of 26th September. We were all set for the move to our new premises the next day. Unusually for us we had already arranged for a seamless transition to the new place by arranging for our relatives and a convoy of vehicles to arrive the next morning to pick up our stuff. So what could possibly go wrong?

Well, as we sat contentedly in our lounge discussing the planned activities for the day (Morning coffee with Jockney and his family down by the beach, pre – employment medical for Bill at 2pm, and a trip to the estate agent to pick up our keys later in the afternoon for our new rented home) when a tap on the door interrupted our conversation. I answered the door and there stood our apartment cleaners, I explained that as we would be leaving the next day that perhaps it would be best if they returned tomorrow. "Sorry, thought it was today�. they said, “Nah� said me, “Its definitely tomorrow�. They looked puzzled but left to continue cleaning another apartment.

Told Bill what they had said, that they thought we were leaving today, to which he reassured me, for two seconds, with “Nope, we are definitely booked in here until the 26th�. An uneasy silence followed this sentence as we looked in horror at each other. “Err, wait a minute, today is the 26th……..Ahhhhhhhh!�

The scenes that followed would not have looked out of place in a Keystone cops movie. Bill called the apartment owners in the hope of extending our stay only to find out that a family of six were due to arrive at midday and the cleaners needed to be in by 10am to fix up the apartment. It was now 9.45! What were we going to do now? We had to be out of the apartment in the next 15 mins and we had our arrival baggage of nearly 200Kg of luggage, plus a variety of new bulky articles (Pillows, quilts sheets, cutlery etc) for the new house scattered around the apartment! Bloody hell!!

This was definitely our darkest hour (or near to the top, we seem to have so many!). Even if we could quickly get it all together, which would be impossible, where would we put it? We thought of outside but then dead on cue the skies clouded over and a torrential downpour started, accompanied by some very high winds outside of the apartment (or was that Bill and I!).

There seemed to be no way out, we dropped into auto pilot and continued to assemble our belongings and pile them up by the door. I was like a zombie, very pale, vacant, and desperately trying not to cry. Another tap on the door stopped our frantic activities in there tracks. “What now, I know its 10am but geeze, give us a chance�. Thankfully it was our upstairs neighbour who had heard of our plight and had come down to lend a hand. “Hey� she said “Don't worry about anything, we can take all of your stuff in while you sort yourselves out�. Lisa, my neighbour (that I had never met before) told me afterward that she could tell by just one look at my face that I wasn't handling things well, so she decided to take charge. She gave me a bag and told me to just take everything out of drawers and from tops of tables and just throw it in the bag "you can always sort it out later upstairs" she said. I think if she hadn't been there I would probably still be clearing out the apartment! She got the boys organised into taking the light bags and suitcases upstairs and found something for Rosina (5) to do so she was occupied and out of the way.

Bill then rang the telephone company and arranged for the line to be disconnected ASAP - the last thing we wanted was for the next people running up a huge telephone bill for us (we can do a good enough job of that ourselves!) Lisa came back into our apartment from one of her many trips and suddenly announced that she had just called her husband and that he would be coming home from work to help us out!! As he was nearby it would only take about 10 mins. Sure enough about 10 mins later Mark (Lisa’s husband) appeared. As well as helping move our stuff he also took it upon himself to ring around and try to find us alternative accommodation. This proved difficult as the next two weeks are school holidays and everywhere seemed to be booked solid. Eventually he found somewhere nearby - phew - and by 10:40 we had moved everything out of our apartment, and turned their apartment into something that resembled a cross between a tip and an obstacle course.

Mark and Lisa were absolutely awesome. Having helped us out of a massive predicament they now proceeded to make us all tea and coffee and helped us to calm down a bit. They told us that they had moved at least 10 times which was why they were quite expert and organised. They then let us use their phone to call for a taxi to take us into Adelaide for Bill to have his medical (high blood pressure or what!). Lisa offered to look after Lewis for us until we got back as he had been playing with her son David (also 9) for the past three weeks and they had become inseparable (Oh dear, another boo hoo time for Lewis )

Mark told Bill to try and not stress out to much about the job, he said he felt sure that he would get it, as after all that we had been through we had stuck it out, so we were obviously meant to be here, but if things didn't work out job wise he would get him a job working with him for Telstra (Australia's equivalent to BT)

The medical surprisingly went ok and we picked the keys up from the estate agent with no hitch. When we returned Lisa offered to keep Lewis until later that evening (and feed him) and Mark would bring him over to our motel when he returned from work. They had also said that they were happy to hold onto all of our stuff until it was picked up the next day. You wouldn't believe the state of their apartment, they could hardly move. When Mark dropped Lewis off that night he said that he and Lisa had been discussing our situation (Endowment not through yet) and that they were both willing to lend us some money to see us through until the house was sold! Flipping heck, they can't be normal people, more like our guardian angels! Naturally we declined but wow, what an offer, and from strangers.

I can't believe how friendly and helpful the people have been here. When we were out in a little cafe having a snack the owner, when finding out we had just migrated, asked if we had been to the local estate agents. We said no, that was our next port of call and she said "no worries, i'll nip out for you" She was the only person working in the cafe so closed for five minutes and left us inside to carry on eating. Can't see that happening too much in England!

The generosity of all of the australians we have met has been overwhelming. My cousins all pitched in to help us move and loaned us an amazing amount of stuff to tide us over.

Sorry it's another big post,

Sindy
hi sindy super post and incredibly friendly neighbours think you have freinds 4 life there good luck
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:08 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by podgypossum
Ironic you mention them Debsy.

One of the girls at our hen night on Saturday was talking about them. It seems after meeting up etc, and all was fine, they suddenly disappeared into thin air and havent been heard of since!!

Very bizarre!! I never really knew them as i hadnt joined the board till a few months ago
I've met them a few times at the Essex meets and they've sent regular emails as updates. A very nice couple! I wonder how they're doing? We better send out a search party! (Any excuse for a party!)
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Yes Steve, I think this is another one for Jockneyman
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.