Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What we have spent so far since we arrived in Perth!!!

What we have spent so far since we arrived in Perth!!!

Old May 28th 2003, 12:12 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default What we have spent so far since we arrived in Perth!!!

In the 3 months that we have lived here we have paid out money for the following:

$144.00 For 2 (1 year ) driving licences
$400.00 Stamp duty for 2 cars
$200.00 RAC Vehicle inspection for 4 wheel drive (for piece of mind!!)
$431.00 4 wheel drive insurance (1 year)
$507.30 Motor Vehicle Registration for above vehicle (1 year)
$120.00 Second car RAC inspection
$200.00 Motor vehicle registration for second car
$390.00 Insurance for 2nd car
$49.00 For second car to be added to roadside recovery (RAC)
$91.00 RAC membership

$181.00 Our first electricity bill (bit steep but could be the pool pump?)
$70.00 for bike and riding boots to be cleaned at customs
$90.00 for customs inspection
$85.00 1st months phone bill
$103.00 2nd months phone bill
haven't had a gas bill yet!!

$980.00 House bond for rental property
$324.00 House contents insurance
$46.00 Stamp duty (this was to rent the house!!)
$2640.00 3 months rent in advance (because we didn't have a job at the time!)
$70.00 In pool cleaning solutions

$30.00 Voluntary contribution for daughters school
$40.00 On equipment, pens, crayons etc.
$70.00 School uniform

$660.00 dog and cat quarantine fees!!!! (husband nearly died!)

This may give you an idea of what you may have to pay out when you first arrive? We also only bought 13 boxes over from the UK so had to go out and buy: Beds, Fridge/freezer, washing machine, tv, etc etc.................... We also spent $15,000 on 2 cars. We haven't got anything posh but they are slightly newer than we had in the UK.
It's amazing how it all adds up and even though we have a lump sum saved in our bank for our house this is why I need to work!!

Last edited by janeyray; Mar 8th 2004 at 12:25 pm.
Old May 28th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info

footie chick
Old May 28th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janey Ray,

Good post, please keep us updated, actual life experience is really informative, makes a refreshing change for someone to supply factual information. How have you found cost of living compared to UK, ie, shopping etc.

Also is it still everything you hoped it would be.
Old May 28th 2003, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Are you having fun though?????????????

Old May 28th 2003, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

***!!** Blimey! Thanks for the info, it's really useful to know if a little depressing.
Old May 28th 2003, 5:04 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info - please keep us posted on how its going.

How did the pets cope with transit? Thinking of taking ours over. Change of heart we were going to leave him with friends but I keep crying too much!

Where abouts in Perth are you?

Kate
Old May 29th 2003, 1:48 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
Hi Janey Ray,

Good post, please keep us updated, actual life experience is really informative, makes a refreshing change for someone to supply factual information. How have you found cost of living compared to UK, ie, shopping etc.

Also is it still everything you hoped it would be.
We have found that things like cheese, some meats, and other bits and bobs to be cheaper but other than that things are about the same price as UK, I paid $6.75 for a bag of spuds the other day which I thought was a bit pricey! I think it was about 2k bag not a sack!!

Some clothes are cheaper but the designer label such as Ralph Lauren seem to be the same price. Perfume is about the same if not slightly more expensive (Myers price)
Old May 29th 2003, 1:51 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by kevwalt
Thanks for the info - please keep us posted on how its going.

How did the pets cope with transit? Thinking of taking ours over. Change of heart we were going to leave him with friends but I keep crying too much!

Where abouts in Perth are you?

Kate
Both the cats and dog seemed fine when we collected them, we only went to visit once as it upset our daughter to leave them. They were very fussy for a few days. The cats were very nervous when they first went out, maybe because the rats are the same size as them (only joking!!) They seemed to cope very well in the heat but the cats malted all over the place, they came here to 45c with their winter coats, I was very temped to shave them . lol :scared:
Old May 29th 2003, 1:54 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by John Howard
Are you having fun though?????????????

Still having lots of fun though!!!! went to a get- together of British people at Kings park back in April organised through www.pomsinperth.com it was really good and we made a lot of friends who are in the same boat as us. Its nice to know you aren't alone!!
Old Mar 8th 2004, 12:27 pm
home again, home again

I just thought I'd bring this post back to the top again as someone mentioned about how much money they would need.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 12:36 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

my god. it certainly puts things into perspective and shows that the whole process is more costly than just paying for the visa, meds and police checks and reinforces the point that finding work quickly is so important. i hope you are having fun though and that you feel that it is money well spent.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:56 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
i hope you are having fun though and that you feel that it is money well spent.
Well, see her signature

Wow, Jane!! Thanks for bumping!

Luckily I know I can scrape of a lot of those things.
1 cheap car, not 4WD
no school stuff
no animal stuff
Taking everything (fridge etc)

But it still leaves a lot :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2004, 3:21 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

oops. just seen it. obviously not worth it.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 3:34 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What we have spent so far since we arrived in Perth!!!

Originally posted by janeyray
In the 3 months that we have lived here we have paid out money for the following:

$144.00 For 2 (1 year ) driving licences
$400.00 Stamp duty for 2 cars
$200.00 RAC Vehicle inspection for 4 wheel drive (for piece of mind!!)
$431.00 4 wheel drive insurance (1 year)
$507.30 Motor Vehicle Registration for above vehicle (1 year)
$120.00 Second car RAC inspection
$200.00 Motor vehicle registration for second car
$390.00 Insurance for 2nd car
$49.00 For second car to be added to roadside recovery (RAC)
$91.00 RAC membership

$181.00 Our first electricity bill (bit steep but could be the pool pump?)
$70.00 for bike and riding boots to be cleaned at customs
$90.00 for customs inspection
$85.00 1st months phone bill
$103.00 2nd months phone bill
haven't had a gas bill yet!!

$980.00 House bond for rental property
$324.00 House contents insurance
$46.00 Stamp duty (this was to rent the house!!)
$2640.00 3 months rent in advance (because we didn't have a job at the time!)
$70.00 In pool cleaning solutions

$30.00 Voluntary contribution for daughters school
$40.00 On equipment, pens, crayons etc.
$70.00 School uniform

$660.00 dog and cat quarantine fees!!!! (husband nearly died!)

This may give you an idea of what you may have to pay out when you first arrive? We also only bought 13 boxes over from the UK so had to go out and buy: Beds, Fridge/freezer, washing machine, tv, etc etc.................... We also spent $15,000 on 2 cars. We haven't got anything posh but they are slightly newer than we had in the UK.
It's amazing how it all adds up and even though we have a lump sum saved in our bank for our house this is why I need to work!!
i hope i get the job i`m after(with company car)definately no pool :scared: is there any thing you have spent that you regret in hindsight (i only ask cos i do it all the time)p.s no pets phew
Old Mar 8th 2004, 6:12 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Still having lots of fun though!!!! went to a get- together of British people at Kings park back in April organised through www.pomsinperth.com it was really good and we made a lot of friends who are in the same boat as us. Its nice to know you aren't alone!!
I wondered what ,that wingeing/ whineing noise was ,that was eminating in the west ......... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.