What Visa??

Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:27 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Question What Visa??

Hi All,
Weve been told to go for a temp business visa 457? but someone else to go straight for a permanent visa 136? Which one do we go for? My other half is a nurse and already got a job in Adelaide. The agency say go for, I think its the 457 temp visa as its will get us out there quicker, once out there we can apply for the permanent visa? Any views or advice please?
Thanks,
Rachel & Paul
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Visa??

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
Hi All,
Weve been told to go for a temp business visa 457? but someone else to go straight for a permanent visa 136? Which one do we go for? My other half is a nurse and already got a job in Adelaide. The agency say go for, I think its the 457 temp visa as its will get us out there quicker, once out there we can apply for the permanent visa? Any views or advice please?
Thanks,
Rachel & Paul
Get a 136. It will save money in the long run and means you have access to a whole range of benefits which temp visa holders do not get. Many doors are made a bit more difficult to open as a temp visa holder by comparison to a perm resident.

The wait is really not long nowadays, especially since nursing is a priority skill.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._stni_osnl.php

why don't you go for STNI.

For VIC with STNI I submitted my app end-Nov and had visa mid-Jan. Would have been quicker if not for Xmas. No points to show and you get PR.

I'm willing to bet nurses get pushed through even quicker.

Ian
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I would always suggest getting a PR first if you can.
Any type of sponsored visa is restrictive in some way.

Have a look at this thread where Cam was asking if he should change from his 457 temp visa to PR. That was to do with timing and money but I listed reasons a 457 are not good.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354112

RSMS, ENS, STNI are all sponsored PR type visas and all have restrictions as well.

If you have the necessary qualifications then go for the full skilled visa at the outset. It won't take long and the extra bit of wait compared to sponsored visas is more than worth it.

A nurse on a PR will have no trouble finding work across Australia and will have full freedom to choose.

Just in case you are not aware there are sub forums for some professions including nursing here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of

Hi just some of my personal observations about this subject.
we've been here on a 457 since Feb last year my wife being sponsored by the Cabrini in Melbourne. We got the visa through in about six weeks. It cost $170 plus the fees for medicals in the UK (about 400 quid). We were in Melbourne just under 6 months from when we decided to go, after 10 years of discussion. We have applied for a 136 (PR) now as there are some drawbacks to the 457 most of themn mentioned here or in other threads. Personally our biggest drawback to a 457 is I have found it hard to get work due to the visa time limit. One look at your passport lets any potential employer know that you are a temporary not permanent resident. I have been restricted to applying for temp jobs that basically no one else wants to do. However it was the best move we ever made and I am enjoying the time with my kids, somthing I never had in the UK. It has been a real change of life for us with real role reversal. I had a senior managers job in the UK earning in excess of 35 grand and my wife worked 3 part days in the local trust hospital. She has now returned to full time employment on shifts etc (inc Chrissy day) somthing she hasnt done for 9 years since our first child was born. It is strange but very rewarding and we are finding we can live comfortably on her wages and so there is no great pressure on me to find work. I would say if you want to be here quick get the 457 and then immediately apply for the 136 when you get here as there are greater benefits than a 457.
hope i haent bored you too much
Neil
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Very informative first post Neil.

Wellcome to the forum mate
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:34 am
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies.
If we apply for PR once we are out there, how long will it take for this to come through?
Once again, thanks.
Rachel & Paul
That will make her day! if I stay at home and do nothing but live on the beach
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Thanks for the replies.
If we apply for PR once we are out there, how long will it take for this to come through?
Once again, thanks.
Rachel & Paul
CarolineGorka was a nurse on a 457 and got PR once there.
Suggest you send her a PM.
I think it was 6 months but not sure.
By the way she hated the job as it was not what she was led to believe it would be. Because she was on the 457 she couldn't do anything about it.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:08 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
Once again, thanks.
Rachel & Paul
we did it this way and its a waste of time and money
go for PR while u are in the uk
good luck
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:58 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rachel and paul,

I am a nurse applying to go out on a 136 visa with my hubby and 2 kiddies. I did consider some of the other options but decided the 136 was definately the best way to go. It may take a little bit longer but as others have said there are some restrictions once you are out in Oz with other types of visas. Also I thought it would be easier and less stressful to apply for PR whilst here in Uk as its easier access to people you need to contact for refs/documentation etc...

The main advantage for me applying for 136 is that I will have the choice of where I decide to live and where to work. I have heard stories of people who have gone out with agencies (nursing) only to find the jobs are not what they thought and have been powlerless to change jobs because they are tied into a contract.

I am hoping to go to the Brisbane area and have already emailed some of the hospitals my CV directly and all have responded to say they would be delighted to show me round their hospitals when I come out on my reccie later this year. One hospital even wanted to do a telephone interview but I put them off, as I would rather 'see' first hand what I am going to....thats just me, many people go 'blind' so to speak and do ok.

This is just my personal opinion obviously, but I definately think a 136 is the better option.

Good luck

jackie x
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

neilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud ofneilvic has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: What Visa??

Hi again

good luck with whatever you decide.

Neil