Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Wikiposts

What was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great news Pollyana. That was a stroke of luck that you got it before you leave. Get posting that picture I can't wait to see it!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of luck wasn't it Tina! Opened it with this feeling that i'd waster £5, and there was my picture. Happy Bunny now!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyana

Great news that you found the annual you have been searching for.

fc
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

I`M NOT GOING TO OZ - NO WAY! :lecture: was my reaction to wife's request to visit her brother in Perth.

In the end we compromised - a week in Singapore on way out and week in Penang on way back, two places I wanted to visit. The price was to spend a couple of weeks with wife's brother and family in dusty, backward, Pom bashing, baking, parochial Perth! Well I supposed I could hack that and it would only be a fortnight.

That was two years ago! I had to eat humble pie within a few days of getting to Perth We decided that we could stop looking to retire to California, Florida, Portugal, Cyprus etc and concentrate on the beautiful capital Perth, fresh, green, clean, relaxed and happy state.

We are about to visit for the fourth time in two years and having tested out all the seasons have decided that when I retire in eighteen months we want to move out on a 410

Yes there are tons of other factors that add to the list of reasons to go: many have been mentioned in this thread, tax, safety, sport, climate, and there are many reasons in the UK to get out: tax, safety, lawlessness, climate, politics, social waste, declining standards of living, education etc. I have worked hard all my life since leaving school - I have never been unemployed and have been fortunate to only miss 4 weeks work due to illness in just under 40 years - do I want to see what I have worked for in terms of comfortable lifestyle and security in retirement eroded by wasteful taxation and dishonest politics? Of course not!

And neither do you - thats why we are all trying to get to OZ, isn't it?

err.... now what was the question? ( I do rant on a bit don't I)

Peter
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:35 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana
Just thought I'd tag this onto the original thread instead of starting a new one - I've got my Teddy Bear Annual!!! It was 1969; spotted it on EBay, recognised the cover, bought it and hoped for the best - its just arrived and the picture of Christmas in Oz is just as I remember it!
I shall take it with me, and compare it to the real thing..... and in case anyone else is as sad as me, when I get to somewhere with a scanner, I'll post the picture!

Pollyana

Wallowing in nostalgia!

COOL!!!!!
Please scan the picture. I would love to see it cause as you know I am definately as sad as you.

Paula
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Will see what I can do Paula; might get to use my mate's scanner next week.