Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Wikiposts

What was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
I wanted to travel/experience new things in my teens and never got around to it, Then I met my hubby who had lived and travelled all the way around the world and got EXTREMELY jealous of his tales and photos!!! He always wanted to return to Oz ( he spent a year there ) and I wanted to visit. we had a trip out there, the u.k got worse ( in our eyes ), we had children to raise and we thought " sod it - lifes for living ". Adventure here we come.....!
where are you going?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Down under, princess Larissa of the silvery glitterballs.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had that annual, and it made the same immpression on me. I was captivated by this family!!!!!
Wasn't it something like an Ozzie xmas inside the front cover and a Uk xmas inside the back cover - maybe? But I remember the picture printed in shades of blue, white and black ink.
I havn't got the annual, I have got a picture of the 2 teddies my mum did for me and had framed which is now in my daughters bedroom.
[quote]

Paula, that is so spooky! I've not met anyone else who knows what I'm talking about - even my sister can't remember the picture. Annoying thing is we still have 2 Teddy Bear annuals - but not that one! You're right though, it was inside the cover, with the UK inside the other one! I have still got my Teddy Bear Happy Family playing cards though....!

Billy Connelly is a favourite video as well - often played with lots of yearning thoughts of Down Under!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Down under, princess Larissa of the silvery glitterballs.
OK Fozzy bear- I'll get you in a story soon!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:57 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Billy has a lot to answer for. !! When visiting the Pinnacles I had an overpowering urge to run naked between them as Billy did in one of his vids. But I managed to restarin myself, more due to the fact that Donna had the camera, plus it wouldnt have been a pretty site. !
Yes, we saw that episode
:

Anway back to the subject at hand! have always had the travel bug, and this is no different except I have allot of company along the way 3 kids one dog and hubs.
Suz
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
OK Fozzy bear- I'll get you in a story soon!

looking forward to it... Wakka, Wakka, wakka!!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:14 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default The story I envisage

looking forward to it... Wakka, Wakka, wakka!!!

Hmmmm yes some surreal energies need to be called upon to come up with a story about a strangly afflicted prince\cess (depends whos on the keyboard at the time) who has a strange affliction. After a freak accident with a hypnotist and a rampant Grizzly bear the prince\cess can not go out in public unless they are wearing the Fozzy costume.

But thinking about it at the moment hurts my head

Nurse !! Nurse !! Is it time for my medication yet

Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:16 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The story I envisage

I have to keep smiling at the UNFEASABLY LARGE WRISTS and the DISCO NIPS

I think I'm alone now

Last edited by HUP; Sep 19th 2003 at 10:32 am.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:31 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Default What made up my mind

Sorry back on thread track. It all started many years ago now when my girlfriend (now wife) flew out to stay with her mum who had PR status to look after her parents. During her stay the Gulf War started. The was flight advice stating that it was not wise to fly. As a result Hev stayed in Australia for a few months. She had been a few times before but I think this was the time that did it for her (shes snoring on the sofa at the moment so I can't confirm this)

Anyway when she came back from that point forward she wanted to go. She asked me a few times if I was interested and I always said no. I had things I wanted to do with my life and they didn't involve upping sticks and moving half way around the world. I think the idea pretty much left Hev but occasionally she would hint at it.

Well on Sept 11, yes that on, I was made redundant (Don't worry they realised they made a mistake and ended up giving me two weeks paid leave and taking me back on again but thats another boring story). I arrived home to see the first tower in flames. I remember that every other thought left my head as I watched the horror unfold. Me and Heather watched in shocked silence.

Later that day when fretting about what we would do without a job Heather said we could move to Australia and start again. "Yes" I said "That could be a really good idea."

This whole life had become mundane and depressing. Lets do something with our lives we thought....................

and we are!!!!!!

:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

November 2002, came in from work, flicked through Nursing Times magazine and saw jobs advertised for NZ and OZ. Asked hubby where he fancied and he said NZ. It was that instantaneous. We knew we wanted to do something, we just didn't know what, until that precise moment. We didn't know anyone who had emigrated before and really thought it would be too difficult.

Basically we just wanted something different, away from the rut we felt we were in. We wanted cleaner air, open spaces and the ability to live mortgage free.

Jan 03 house up for sale...........arrived July 03 and started work 14/07/03.

We could not be happier with our decision. Kids love NZ and have settled in to school well, Mum it's a jersy not a jumper, Mum where's my sneakers !!!

It's an opportunity to have an adventure, see the other side of the world and take time to smell the coffee and the beautiful flowers.

It's colder on a night time than we expected and we are having to get used to our wood burning fire {Oh how I dream of radiators and gas central heating}. We know we'll have our ups and downs, that all part of life anyway. But for now we are happy. The hardest part is trying to establish a new circle of friends for us adults, the kids have done that brilliantly.

Rob and Gill
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:41 pm
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

My parent went to Oz on the 'ten pound scheme'(blimey if only it was that cheap these days!!) so I spent my childhood in Brissie. Came back to UK when I was 7, and I always vowed I would return!!! When I met Colin one of our first conversations was about travelling and how he had always wanted to go to Oz. In 94 we done the obligatory backpacking around the world for a year and ended up spending most of it in OZ!
We had always talked about emigrating but a lot happened while we were travelling (my nan died, my dad had a brain tumour, which was operable and hes fine now) and somewhere in my mind I always felt guilty for not being there for my mum when she needed me the most. I did want to emigrate but felt I needed to make up the time that I was away with my parents, if you can understand that. Luckily Colin was great and just waited for me to be ready. We had Dalan in 97, and while I was pregnant with Ellie last year, I thought 'Right, this is the time, Im ready to go now'. Its mad, the feeling just hit me, but we went with it and we are off in November!!

So really getting back to the question, it was nothing really inspirational that got me, it was inevitable for me and I never felt that it wouldnt happen. I cant wait!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:59 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: What was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Originally posted by jandjuk
I'd be really interested to know what brand new visitors to this forum think it is that they're going to in NZ and Aus... (and for those that have been here a while - think back to when you too were a Britishexpats virgin)

I mean, before you read all the negative and positive stories on here, what was/is your preconceived notion of what lifestyle and culture is like in Aus and NZ?

Some of you would have visited Aus and NZ already, and used that as a basis for your decision to migrate, so what elements of your visit encouraged you to migrate?

Are you expecting there to be:

less crime?
less drugs?
less people?
less theatre?
less pollution?
better/worse education?
bigger houses and swimming pools?
more bbqs?
less rain?
friendly people?
better 'lifestyle'?
a UK with more sunshine?

What??

There is a lot of talk on this board disputing the myths, but what exactly are the myths which are attracting you in the first place? Do these myths really exist in people's minds?? Or did you all just go for the experience & adventure??

Shouldn't we all just be experiencing life and emigrating with our eyes wide open - prepared for whatever journey lies ahead - rather than being hung up on whether Perth, Tauranga or wherever is too hot, too cold, too boring or whatever??

Before everything else, what was the VERY first thing that inspired you to emigrate?

Jon
A better lifestyle and the fact I'd have no mortgage at 35 years old...Less people,traffic on the road, Less presured life in general
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:01 pm
plumber39

Meter maid's!
Such a good idea , must be great to have a council that's in touch with the people!.

plum!

Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:18 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Paula, that is so spooky! I've not met anyone else who knows what I'm talking about - even my sister can't remember the picture. Annoying thing is we still have 2 Teddy Bear annuals - but not that one! You're right though, it was inside the cover, with the UK inside the other one! I have still got my Teddy Bear Happy Family playing cards though....!

Billy Connelly is a favourite video as well - often played with lots of yearning thoughts of Down Under! [/QUOTE]

That is so spooky!!!! My hubby looks at me as if I'm a bit mad when i talk about it. I havn't any of the annuals at all. I remember them so well, every time I recite the rhyme 'if all the world was paper....' to my kids I can see the illustrations in my head from one of those annuals.
Wow spooky!!! i've never found anyone who can remember them, my brother has no recollection yet they were his to start with.

Paula
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

More time to spend as family would be nice. Neither of us wanted to travel and had decided to do when the kids grew up. But over the last few years opinions have changed.

You only live once and as long as we are all together it wouldn`t matter where we were in the world.

footie chick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.