Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What vegetables to grow in Brissy?

What vegetables to grow in Brissy?

Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default What vegetables to grow in Brissy?

Bit of a mad question but...

We've just had a gorgeous barbi, with homemade burgers, homemade baps, homegrown potatoes, homegrown carrots, homegrown lettuce, etc...

So what can be grown in Brizzie? Are potatoes out? How about carrots, cabbage, beetroots. Or alternatively, what veg do people grow in Brisbane?

Told you it was a mad question.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jack, try potatoes, beetroot, cabbage (I usually grow the sugarloaf type, but once grew the big drumhead ones), beans, peas, snowpeas, carrots, radish, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumber, zucchini, capsicum (peppers), pumpkin, shallots, silverbeet & spinach, baby squash, rockmelons, watermelons & strawberries. I have grown all of those before very successfully (although not all at once LOL) . Some mentioned are seasonal & will only grow in the warmer months, but the difference here is that the season that you can grow them is about 10 months of the year . As an example, I have some tomato plants that I am going to be planting out today, as well as some lettuce, beans & peas & season wise we're at the equivilent of end of Jan for you?

Things that you may find wont grow as well are cauliflower (I dislike them so have never tried them, although you can buy seedlings & seeds of them in Bris), turnip (ditto) parsnips (I tried them once, not terribly successful), brussel sprouts & possibly broccoli (although that is one of the main crops in the Lockyer Valley in winter just an hours drive west of Brisbane, but it gets alot colder than here).

Probably lots of other stuff, but I havent tried to grown them. Not sure if I have any pics of our vege patch, will have a look later if I get a chance.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:34 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

My parents used to grow their own tomatoes, chokos and passionfruits. The latter two are a no-brainer to grow. Tomatoes less so.

I've heard of people growing olive trees as well, so pretty much anything could b grown. Just be mindful of the climate.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

can you tell me what Choko is?...i was trying out a new stir fry recipe a few eeks ago and it included choko...when i asked at the supermarket they said they didnt have any. I still have no clue what it is or what it looks like!!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by podgypossum
can you tell me what Choko is?...i was trying out a new stir fry recipe a few eeks ago and it included choko...when i asked at the supermarket they said they didnt have any. I still have no clue what it is or what it looks like!!

from Burkes Backyard

Here is another good link, useful for all vegetables.
http://www.formulaforlife.com.au/asp...vegetableid=21

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jul 30th 2004 at 11:56 pm.

Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

My Nana used to live on Bribie Island and I have fond memories of going there for holidays and she had a HUGE choko vine...we used to love having choko's on our holidays....

Oh and the passionfruit...YUM!!...We used to get the pulp from the millions that you get on the vines and put them into ice cube trays...freeze it so it lasts...then in summer, you just add the ice cubes to your punch...its wonderful!!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:17 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hels
Oh and the passionfruit...YUM!!...We used to get the pulp from the millions that you get on the vines and put them into ice cube trays...freeze it so it lasts...then in summer, you just add the ice cubes to your punch...its wonderful!!

Oooh, I like this idea. Roll on summer time.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:22 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Chokos aren't unique to Australia; I'm fairly certain Mexicans use them in cooking, and probably other Central American folk do too.

They aren't called chokos though obviously.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Oooh, I like this idea. Roll on summer time.

They are really good just to take out of the freezer and suck on them like an icey pole too....
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Chokos aren't unique to Australia; I'm fairly certain Mexicans use them in cooking, and probably other Central American folk do too.

They aren't called chokos though obviously.
You're quite right - they are grown all over the world (in warmish climates). In the West Indies they're called christophenes and they make chips out of them. They're actually the vegetable from hell - a tasteless, marrowish kind of thing.
Old Jul 31st 2004, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Jack, try potatoes, beetroot, cabbage (I usually grow the sugarloaf type, but once grew the big drumhead ones), beans, peas, snowpeas, carrots, radish, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumber, zucchini, capsicum (peppers), pumpkin, shallots, silverbeet & spinach, baby squash, rockmelons, watermelons & strawberries. I have grown all of those before very successfully (although not all at once LOL) . Some mentioned are seasonal & will only grow in the warmer months, but the difference here is that the season that you can grow them is about 10 months of the year . As an example, I have some tomato plants that I am going to be planting out today, as well as some lettuce, beans & peas & season wise we're at the equivilent of end of Jan for you?
Thats excellent news Especially about the potatoes, I thought it might be too warm to grow them, and I thought I was going to have to give up 50% of my usual diet (being mostly Irish,everything is served with potatoes).

It'll be interesting trying some of the other stuff as well, I'm sure Mrs JTL can't wait to grow pumpkins and sweetcorn (she hates them both, I love sweetcorn)

Is there a good gardening/growing vegetables book specifically for the Brisbane climate telling what can be grown and when?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 31st 2004, 8:18 am
ABCDiamond

Try this google search