Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What UK Items should we buy before we LEAVE !

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I don't know of many things that aren't available in Oz except from the normal things like haggis, scotch pies etc.
I would say that if you get the chance then make sure that you have a reasonably modern computer as they are definately more expensive. A good tv led or lcd wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Clothes by all accounts especially childrens clothes. Get a good mobile and make sure it's unlocked so you just need to buy a sim.
Tools also are alot dearer so if your a budding mechanic get them here or if your a budding diy sort of guy then order your stuff from screwfix before you go.

Haggis and scotch pies available here in mellie, from Robs the British Butcher in Dandenong, his haggis is about the best i'v tasted
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eddie007
A really good vacuum cleaner.... Dysons are stoopid money here... Miele washing machine and dryer...

If I had spare space in a huge container and money was no object i'd bring over washing powder... I miss uk washing powders...

If you're into your denby, le crueset, wedgwood, and good quality cook wear... Its really pricey here... Not that I buy... But I do look...

And some bananas... Ey're going to be bloomin expensive.. Already leapt in price from 99 cts a kilo to $4.99 a kilo ... The only way is UP
definately agree about the vacum cleaner, am currently awaiting one from usa, as the uprights are all so shite here, or so expensive
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by eddie007
BOOOKS

Nearly forgot books...

Books are SO EXPENSIVE it'll blow your mind....

Go to oxfam, garage sales, jumble sales and buy up ALL the books and bring them over for us please....

I CANNOT believe the price of books
books not a problem now, get them from bookdepository.com.uk, free delivery also
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Decent shampoo/conditioner, Hair straightening products, hair dye, hair removal cream all sooo expensive here. We had a crate of products shipped!! Wish i had shipped more
Use aussie surf in my front loader - its great?!?!?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Decent shampoo/conditioner, Hair straightening products, hair dye, hair removal cream all sooo expensive here. We had a crate of products shipped!! Wish i had shipped more
Use aussie surf in my front loader - its great?!?!?
Bookdepository has solved the books problem, yay.

If you have 4-gang extensions then chop the uk plugs off and put aussie ones on when you get here - saves using loads of adaptors.

UK dairy milk, if that's your bag - it tastes really different over here although the NZ stuff isn't too bad.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Deoderant ..... very expensive in Oz. Bicycles - same price issues. What not to bring - sunburn cream. It's much cheaper in Oz
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Mega-shop at Boots, or similar, especially for skin care products as the climate here can really dry out your skin. Despite the amount of time you might spend in the ocean or a swimming pool, the hair care products are not that good.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colonel
All of them those items mentioned will be taken. Also, we have just ordered 5 UK/AUS travel adaptors. We have a number of extension leads already.

Any other items that you can think of ?
If you're are bringing table lamps, etc you might want to bring spare bayonet type bulbs. The standard bulb here is the screw in type. And bring along any spare UK plugs and double plugs that you have - just in case.

Flat pack furniture such as shoe cupboards: we wish if we'd brought one or two more of them. Australian furniture is definately of a better quality though. Far far less chip board and if you go to the discount outlets the pricing for solid furniture is pretty good

Decent pillows and duvets, bedding, etc costs an arm and a leg here compared to the UK.

If in doubt you can reckon on pretty much everything being more expensive or at best the same price here so if you're shipping your stuff over and there's anything that you think you're going to need in the next couple of years and if you have space then buy it in the UK and ship it over. You won't regret it.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring plenty of winter woollies... If tescos are doing their cashmere jumpers i'd get a load of them..

You wouldnt BELIEVE how cold it gets her and the houses aren't built with cold in mind...
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

What about import taxes on new goods?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Haggis and scotch pies available here in mellie, from Robs the British Butcher in Dandenong, his haggis is about the best i'v tasted
I'll be heading there then Margaret when we arrive in May! Just love my haggis.....
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
If you're are bringing table lamps, etc you might want to bring spare bayonet type bulbs. The standard bulb here is the screw in type. And bring along any spare UK plugs and double plugs that you have - just in case.

Flat pack furniture such as shoe cupboards: we wish if we'd brought one or two more of them. Australian furniture is definately of a better quality though. Far far less chip board and if you go to the discount outlets the pricing for solid furniture is pretty good

Decent pillows and duvets, bedding, etc costs an arm and a leg here compared to the UK.

If in doubt you can reckon on pretty much everything being more expensive or at best the same price here so if you're shipping your stuff over and there's anything that you think you're going to need in the next couple of years and if you have space then buy it in the UK and ship it over. You won't regret it.
Yep I agree with that. We bought a lovely mango wood TV unit. It's beautiful and I even got $110 off.

Originally Posted by deb68
What about import taxes on new goods?
Unpack it so it doesn't look new - like bedding etc...

We brought a new tumble dryer and got stung by customs, but we did declare it as new as it was still in shipping packaging. So we budgeted for it. It wasn't much.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:57 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep I agree with that. We bought a lovely mango wood TV unit. It's beautiful and I even got a $110 off.

Unpack it so it doesn't look new - like bedding etc...

We brought a new tumble dryer and got stung by customs, but we did declare it as new as it was still in shipping packaging. So we budgeted for it. It wasn't much.
Sorry to hear that

Do you think the $1000 for all items maximum applies?

We declared everything but probably only had about £400 worth of stuff. No duty was payable except for the m/bike of course.

I spoke to someone yesterday who got stung for $400 by quarantine for dirty shoes/boots.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:34 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
definately agree about the vacum cleaner, am currently awaiting one from usa, as the uprights are all so shite here, or so expensive
You realise that the USA is 110v not 240v? A US vacum cleaner will not be compatible voltage wise here in Australia.
We bought a Dyson dc29 for $349 in last years Boxing day sales. It's not what I'd call expensive & it does a fantastic job [so she tells me]
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Raid boots and buy huge supplies of deoderants, make up, moisturisers.
Buy a rotary clothes line..cost a bloody fortune here!!
If I had my time again..I would have bought our caravan. Caravans here are about 30 years behind and cost a fortune!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.