Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK food do you miss?

Wikiposts

What UK food do you miss?

Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:12 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

found it -

www.hungryexpats.com

think that should satisfy you?!!

do a jeeves search for 'british food to australia' for uk sites and bobs your uncle ( or whatever the hungry oz equivalent is!)

sue

ps for any aussies in the uk go to
www.downunderstuff.com
for any of those goodies you miss from home!!

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Oct 11th 2003 at 2:15 am.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi guys

Sorry to say that we have yet to find either a decent curry house or chinese!! Well, let me correct that, the food itself is good, it just doesn't taste like what we are accustomed to in the UK (think it probably has something to do with the fact that the english indian and chinese tend to cook for the british palate). Butter chicken seems to be huge here and tastes a bit like a korma I think.

It's gotten to the stage that Gareth has given up trying the curries here and has started making his own!! (he makes a mean chicken curry now...shame I'm now a vegetarian!!)

But the Thai and Malaysian curries are nice!!

I have to agree about the gravy too....bleurgh, back to lumpy gravy powder!! There is a brand called Greens that do gravy granules, but haven't tried it yet (still on the last of the Bisto gravy granules we had smuggled in)..you can get it in most of the supermarkets here.

love sophia xx
Old Oct 11th 2003, 4:03 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Missing Food

Originally posted by FiFi
Hi

does anyone know of any British speciality import shops .. selling all the things people miss ?
Theres a shop in Adelaide...i think its called the English sweet shop or somthing.

Bought a load of sherbert flying saucers when i was there last!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 4:12 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: What UK food do you miss?

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi all,

I was just wondering, following on from the previous similar thread on what Aussie food people miss most:

For those who have already made the big move, what food do you miss most from the UK that you can't get in Aus?

Elaine
I used to miss a plate of scampi and chips in the local pub with half a banks's mild..yum
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Theres a shop in Adelaide...i think its called the English sweet shop or somthing.

Bought a load of sherbert flying saucers when i was there last!

The sherbett flying saucers are not like they used to be. They used to blow your head off with the fizz. Now they are like flour and old newspaper.

Whisky
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of excellent Chinese places that I've had takeaways from in Brissie, but you'll have to wait till I get there, cos I can't remember what they are called!

I've been told I can't get jaffa cakes out there - help!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:28 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by FiFi
Hi

does anyone know of any British speciality import shops .. selling all the things people miss ?
Know a place at North Ryde NSW and Terrigal Central Coast NSW sells crisps, sweets, drinks & chocolate - does anyone live near there? Had Pickled Onion Monster Munch too.

Bought Jaffa Cakes at our local Coles the other day, $3.18 and tasted like McVities. They are made in Montenegro & Serbia believe it or not. On a shelf with lost of pickled things!

Heaps of website to buy food from the UK but you will find the postage is more than the stuff you order. Better to get someone to send things over.

www.expatshopping.com I think is one.

Happy eating!

Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't care where they are made! I'll be round to Coles as soon as I get in to Brissie! Shows how much notice my Bloke takes of anything tasty doesn't it ("oh no, never heard of 'em " he said!!) Thanks Merlot!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:39 pm
Merlot

Default http://www.sweetsolutions.com.au

Originally posted by Pollyana
Don't care where they are made! I'll be round to Coles as soon as I get in to Brissie! Shows how much notice my Bloke takes of anything tasty doesn't it ("oh no, never heard of 'em " he said!!) Thanks Merlot!
This is the place I got them from is

Coles, West Gosford, Central Coast NSW

Found a website for the place in Terrigal

http://www.sweetsolutions.com.au

Heaven!

Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gibson
Hell yes!!!! No matter what I do I still get floaty bits in my gravy! The rice is appalling too, we had to buy a rice cooker. Heinz isn't Heinz nor is Cadburys Cadburys!
What the ....?!?!??!?!

As for the chinese & indian, quite a number of Perth people have complained about it, it must be a Perth thing, we have some great ones here in Brisbane.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 8:14 pm
Home and Happy

Theres one down in Wilsdon that we use - its called something like Mr Wu's, and its excellent - good feast for two, and enough left for the next day. Better than most of them here in Brighton!
Don't know if you know it Mrs D? Might be a bit out of your area?
Old Oct 11th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I miss Greek Yoghurt - tried about 5 "Greek style" yoghurts with no luck. Even wrote to Total and asked would they export it here (they said no).

I also miss decent lemon curd and have started making my own.

Also meringue nests for a quick pudding. Mini pavlova does not cut the cheese.

Oh and Quorn of course.

Queenie
Old Oct 11th 2003, 9:06 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Theres one down in Wilsdon that we use - its called something like Mr Wu's, and its excellent - good feast for two, and enough left for the next day. Better than most of them here in Brighton!
Don't know if you know it Mrs D? Might be a bit out of your area?
Polly, yeah, Wilston is a bit out of our area, sorry dont know it. We have a very good one up the road in Tingalpa, we'll have to try them both when you get here & compare .

Queenie you can get meringue nests (hard as opposed to soft inside pavlova, right?) in Coles etc, brand name escapes me right now, I will look for you tommorrow when I do groceries.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 9:30 pm
Oz bound I hope

EricB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by abergas
I miss galaxy chocolate, in fact all chocolate, yes we get it here but it doesn't taste so creamy, bounty is the only thing i really like here. Twiglets too i miss!

Love to try aussie snacks though, still trying to find something which I can say i enjoy!!!!!
I think you would be dissapointed..

They have just completely changed the packaging on Galaxy chocolate. It was my favourite too. Funny thing is the first bar I tried from the new wrapper tasted too sweet, had a gritty texture and lacked that creamyness. Suspiciuosly like cheap continental... My fall back is Lindt Milk.

Twiglets are a lot milder than they once were too....
Old Oct 12th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Sherbett fountains are naff now too. No fizz and you can/t suck the stuff up the liquorish any more. Usually too hard to chew.
Or is it because I am old???

Whisky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.