Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What UK food do you miss?

What UK food do you miss?

Old Oct 10th 2003, 6:11 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Question What UK food do you miss?

Hi all,

I was just wondering, following on from the previous similar thread on what Aussie food people miss most:

For those who have already made the big move, what food do you miss most from the UK that you can't get in Aus?

Elaine
Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

This question posed here always seems a weird one to me!!!!

Why would you miss a certain brand of food? Isn't part of the whole process to try new things, diiferent things etc. Harking back to something in a country you have left means you always looking backwards.

Not wishing to ridicule your post Elaine because that is the last thing I am doing - it appears I am having another one of those drivvle moments.

Billabong

Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What UK food do you miss?

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi all,

I was just wondering, following on from the previous similar thread on what Aussie food people miss most:

For those who have already made the big move, what food do you miss most from the UK that you can't get in Aus?

Elaine
Food is not something that I miss from the UK. OK Cheese here is crap but most other things barring fresh ready meals are the same or better.

Some people miss the crisps but life without monster munch is not that bad.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Elaine

I miss galaxy chocolate, in fact all chocolate, yes we get it here but it doesn't taste so creamy, bounty is the only thing i really like here. Twiglets too i miss!

Love to try aussie snacks though, still trying to find something which I can say i enjoy!!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Marks and Sparks ready meals.

Colin
Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:34 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

good quality sausages and sausage rolls are hard to come by in oz.

To the poster who said "I dont mean to ridicule etc etc"

Moving to a country other than your birth country has little to do with food and missing or not missing a brand or type. I would think that one doesnt move to or from a country because of the food !

Im from Wales and have lived in Cyprus, Canada and now in Australia. There are food items that I can say that I wish were available here, it doesnt mean for a second that I shouldnt have moved, food isnt a factor
Old Oct 11th 2003, 5:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
good quality sausages and sausage rolls are hard to come by in oz.

To the poster who said "I dont mean to ridicule etc etc"

Moving to a country other than your birth country has little to do with food and missing or not missing a brand or type. I would think that one doesnt move to or from a country because of the food !

Im from Wales and have lived in Cyprus, Canada and now in Australia. There are food items that I can say that I wish were available here, it doesnt mean for a second that I shouldnt have moved, food isnt a factor
Supermarkets here just sell generic testicle filled snags which have no taste and are dirt cheap. There are plenty of good butchers that sell good sausages.

This is a trivial post and I doubt the thread starter intended it to be the be all and end all of reasons to emigrate. These things are interesting to the would be expat but will have little influence on the big do I or don't I decision.

If anything it might make marmite monster munch eaters eat so much of the stuff before they go that they will never want another bite.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:14 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Bondi is right, I didn't mean to suggest the availability of any sort of food is a major factor in deciding whether to emigrate or not!

I'm just curious about what isn't easily available out in Aus (so that I can stock up my suitcase - no not really!! ) and what little things about the UK you don't realise you will miss until you can't get them.

Thanks all; any more thoughts?

My sister in Adelaide says she misses certain sweets - sorry, lollies but has found outlets selling some of them.

Elaine
Old Oct 11th 2003, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Iceblock is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most things are available. the little things I miss are ..minstels and Finnish licorice... I think apart from Nokia's it is the only other good thing they ever exported!:-)
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing Food

Hi

does anyone know of any British speciality import shops .. selling all the things people miss ?
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:36 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Elaine
Decent gravy granules.
Love all the food here, but fed up with gravy that needs whisking in a pan on the stove and still tastes powdery.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

j_kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Its gotta be Marmite! That Vegimite is terrible stuff!!!
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:41 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi all,

I was wondering, are ther any good Balti houses out there?

I miss a good Chicken Tika Masala when away.

Bye all
Markeh
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:57 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing Food

Originally posted by FiFi
Hi

does anyone know of any British speciality import shops .. selling all the things people miss ?

there is a website - cant remember the exact address, its something like britbox.com, and they do an email order service and send out boxes of goodies with things in that you have all mentioned. think it was a link on one of the government sites! If I find it I will post it...

Can you get woucester sauce out there?

sue
Old Oct 11th 2003, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pookin
Decent gravy granules.
Love all the food here, but fed up with gravy that needs whisking in a pan on the stove and still tastes powdery.
Hell yes!!!! No matter what I do I still get floaty bits in my gravy! The rice is appalling too, we had to buy a rice cooker. Heinz isn't Heinz nor is Cadburys Cadburys!

There is an English Lolly Shop at Hilary's in Perth I indulged on Walkers cheese and onion crisps last weekend for $1.50!!!! Sorry couldn't help myself!!!!!

But.... what I really miss is a bloody good Chinese if anyone knows of one please let me know!!!

Janexxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.