Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Wikiposts

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:02 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Originally Posted by jtimkey
Sausages, need my sausages

have to find a uk food importer or maybe theres an idea there?
No meat is allowed in - so forget it.

I'm ok jack - I get my tinnedLaverbread sent in, all my family knows to put some in when they send pressies to us ( seaweed). I have tins of the stuff lol.

Perfectly legal , I also claim it through customs when I come back into the country
from trips to the UK

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 16th 2005 at 3:05 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:21 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CPGagie
The cans I've had from the bottle shops were brewed in Victoria(I think), certainly not Ireland. Even the ones back in England were brewed in England and not Ireland. Maybe I'm going to the wrong bottle shops

Agree that the cans are sort of bearable after a couple, but the draft stuff, oh my god. I do know that Guinness doesnt travel very well, so hauling x amount of kegs way up here to north QLD isnt going to do it much good.

Its a bit early for me, but I'll have to go and get a pack now
Just remebered this. I checked the Guinness cans over the weekend while I was buying a slab of Kilkenny for those who say they can't get a decent Guinness ,as promised

The cartons of bottled guinness are brewed under licence in Aus. So if you want real Guinness - do not buy the bottles - buy the cans in the carton(440 mil cans - and not the small cans either which I think you can get -sold separately here in the fridge, and they may be very well brewed in Aus unlike the 440mil ones).

The Cartons of 440mil cans state they are brewed in Ireland and imported under licence by so and so company here. - cost was around $67 a carton, can't remember the exact price , but I think it was just a tiny bit more expensive than my Kilkenny carton which are also brewed in Ireland( $65).

If you can't find any Guinness cans which are brewed in Ireland in your state - ask your bottle shop "why?, and can you get some in" , because all the 440 mil cans in cartons here in Qld are most certainly brewed in Ireland as stated on their cans.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 28th 2005 at 2:35 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Merlot]Thankfully Oz are not as into pre-cooked meals as here, I have slipped into Mrs Lazy buying Aunty Bessy's yorkies and pancakes, not that I can't cook them just got lazy and embarrassed to say that. I used a lot more fresh meats and veggies there. BBQ's also are more popular so we ate healthy there.

Oz choc, though I am going through a craving period is not as tasty as UK stuff and if you see kids lunch boxes, they are not stuffed with crisps, sausage rolls, choc etc, they are much more healthy.

Most of the stuff is the same, just a different brand or taste. I missed paxo stuffing like mad but then got used to Oz stuff that I now back in Blighty am off paxo.

Tinned mushy peas are crap, mind they are here too!!!

M [/QU
Can you get fairy soap powder over there?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Fish paste/liver sausage/spam, so bloody hard to find here
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Don't ever invite me for lunch at your place,

Lard on toast followed by a Liver sausage sarnie with spam surprise ( fish paste dressing being the surprise).

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Don't ever invite me for lunch at your place,

Lard on toast followed by a Liver sausage sarnie with spam surprise ( fish paste dressing being the surprise).

Cheers,
JTL
And frozen lard with 100s and 1000s for dessert
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:25 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

recently there has been some bad press on cairns. get yourselves up here as there is a shop in smithfield and all he sells is food from the uk. he can get you anything if you so desire it. might cost you a bit but if you want it, he will get it. i forget what its called as woolworths see us fine but look for smithfield shopping centre cairns on google.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
And frozen lard with 100s and 1000s for dessert
Apparently he does a mean tripe stew. Very rubbery. Yum

The 100s and 1000s are a bit dodgy though, Why do they have little legs sticking out of their sugar coating :scared:

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:52 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
the biggest thing we missed was the good old british banger. the sausages are awful. other than that everything in your cupboard at mo should be able to be replaced.
You won't get decent black pudding here either: it all crumbles when you try to fry a couple of slicesand some tastes awful
best black pudding is definitely in UK and NZ has good black pudding, but not as good as UK.

Despite popular myth, you can get jaffa cakes here, just can't recall where I got them offhand, maybe was at MYER imported foods section.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:54 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Fish paste and spam are available at any woolies/safeway and coles (at least here in perth). Liver sausage(if its the same thing) is called liverworst in OZ and NZ
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:57 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=THEOLIVERS]
Originally Posted by Merlot
Oz choc, though I am going through a craving period is not as tasty as UK stuff
If you want decent chocolate, then invest the extra few quid and go to NZ.

The cadbury chocolate is similar to what you get in the UK , only BETTER! (more creamier).
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Fish paste and spam are available at any woolies/safeway and coles (at least here in perth). Liver sausage(if its the same thing) is called liverworst in OZ and NZ

Good to see the humour bypass operation was a success

Hugs,
JTL
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The ultimate thing that I have not been able to get, is a decent curry, I've been all over Melbourne trying to find a half decent one, to no avail. Best one I've had so far in Aussie, and it pee's me off to admit it. Was up in Sydney, in bloody Cxford st of all places. Took my visiting Father for a holiday, Snuck into the Cxford st area, just took pot luck, and voila best Curry I've had in Aussie. The night was made even more memoribial, especially from my father point of view, bearing in mind he is nearly hitting 80 now, by him getting hit on by the oldest prossie I've ever seen, she and it was a she, must have been plus 60, Followed by the spectical, in his words not mine, as tears of laughter ran down his face, 'I've just seen Mick Macmanus' in a dress'

gotta love sydney

Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The ultimate thing that I have not been able to get, is a decent curry, I've been all over Melbourne trying to find a half decent one, to no avail. Best one I've had so far in Aussie, and it pee's me off to admit it. Was up in Sydney, in bloody Cxford st of all places. Took my visiting Father for a holiday, Snuck into the Cxford st area, just took pot luck, and voila best Curry I've had in Aussie. The night was made even more memoribial, especially from my father point of view, bearing in mind he is nearly hitting 80 now, by him getting hit on by the oldest prossie I've ever seen, she and it was a she, must have been plus 60, Followed by the spectical, in his words not mine, as tears of laughter ran down his face, 'I've just seen Mick Macmanus' in a dress'

gotta love sydney

I know a good place for a curry in Melbourne, just have to ask the missus of the name, its in the CBD. Really good curries, by that I mean authentic, not english, so if its english style curry you are missing, maybe not.

Anyway, the place is called Nirankar, its on queens street almost on the corner of ehm... flinders street I think.

Anyway heres the website

http://www.dine4less.com.au/Restaura...estaurantId=32

We had really good curries there a few times, and I'm not normally a fan of curries. I don't know if it would come up to your liver sausage and spam standard tho

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:08 am
Banned

The ultimate thing that I have not been able to get, is a decent curry
You just can't get decent curries here like you can in the UK. You want good curry, you will have to learn to cook your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.