Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Wikiposts

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Cheese and onion pasties.
Ozzies don't seem to do vegetarian pies much. If you go into a bakery or pie shop, your choice is: Steak, Steak and potato, steak and mushroom, steak and onion, steak and cheese etc...
Shouldn't eat pies anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 8:19 pm
Banned

kismet136 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Hi there,
I really missed Hellmans when i came out here but have found "whole egg" mayo tastes just the same. Walkers crisps are my real pining thing and the bags of crisps are so diddy out here!!. Havent found them in Brissie at all.
Pot noodles
Proper crumbed scampi
Bisto gravy granules - you can get instant gravy granules but its really expensive and not the same.
Double deckers
Penquin biscuits
good old meat n tatie pie
gravy on your chips in fish and chip shops
Comfort - washing powder just doesnt keep its smell out here or conditioner
real bleach
marks & sparks prawn mayo sarnies...
....mmmmmm im hungry now!!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:03 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kismet136
Hi there,
I really missed Hellmans when i came out here but have found "whole egg" mayo tastes just the same. Walkers crisps are my real pining thing and the bags of crisps are so diddy out here!!. Havent found them in Brissie at all.
Pot noodles
Proper crumbed scampi
Bisto gravy granules - you can get instant gravy granules but its really expensive and not the same.
Double deckers
Penquin biscuits
real bleach
I was missing Prawn Mayo sarnies and have finally been able to make my own.

Do not buy Frozen small prawns, they are bright pink and look scary

In woolies they sell small tubs of small prawns, they are in the fridge near the smoked salmon etc. Just mix them with BEST foods Mayo (also available in woolies) this on a nice brown bread is just as good as a marks' Prawn mayo sarnie.

I have also been able to get Penguins (supa valu) and try the greens instant gravy, that is the cloesst to Bisto or make it from scratch with OXO cubes

I know supa valu is a scussy cheap supermarket but they do seem to do the most imported foods.

Kala
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:40 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

turkey twizzlers..
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:31 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

QUORN. Unfortunately for all the vegetarians coming over Quorn is NOT available in Australia.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Talking Re: What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

I' a veggie..I tried the sanitarium (??not sure of spelling) products and they were okay..CAn any veggie recommend other products I should try when we move over later this year? I love tofu and was suprised to see so many different types!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by kismet136
Hi there,
Pot noodles
Proper crumbed scampi
Double deckers
Penquin biscuits
real bleach
hiya kismet
walkers crisps, pot noodles, bisto gravy granules, double deckers, penguins are all available in your local british shop (obviously depending on where you are)...I've found comfort blue in woolies (its in the cartons not bottles) and the british shop does sell persil and ariel but at almost $20 a box it's not really very economical!! :scared: I'll stick to the Am-O-Lin sensitive at $5 a bottle!!

I've been here 2 and a half years now and I have to say that there's very little (foodwise) I actually miss from the UK...especially as I can indulge my cravings for english chocolate when I do think about it!!

love sophia xx
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
I' a veggie..I tried the sanitarium (??not sure of spelling) products and they were okay..CAn any veggie recommend other products I should try when we move over later this year? I love tofu and was suprised to see so many different types!
Hi Pako, my friend eats Not Chicken. She's says it's okay, but she's been to visit me over here in the UK, and prefers Quorn. And I have to take some Beanfeast over with me aswell.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pako
I've been to Oz but not spent enough time there to get to grips with all the differents foods. What typical UK things are not available?
Adapt to your new environment - that is what I say. Ok you may not be able to get a couple of your normal products, but so what! In the grand scaleof things, it is not important.

OZ is not UK with sunshine - it is a different culture - which you must adapt to - including foodstuffs!

There are plenty of similarities to keep things obvious

Les Fingeres - they taste the same!!!

Dave
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:29 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
Adapt to your new environment - that is what I say. Ok you may not be able to get a couple of your normal products, but so what! In the grand scaleof things, it is not important.

OZ is not UK with sunshine - it is a different culture - which you must adapt to - including foodstuffs!

Dave
If you like good fresh ingredients, and don't miss certain processed foods then you'll be fine. And there are always uniquely Aussie processed things to discover if you're so inclined.

I've never found decent guinness in Aus but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I simply drink other beers when I'm there!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:44 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

The original poster asked this question

"I've been to Oz but not spent enough time there to get to grips with all the differents foods. What typical UK things are not available?"

If there has been nothing that you have wanted that you cant get then would it not be nicer to just not answer than try to make people feel bad for daring to want something from home.

Honestly you lot are making me turn into my mother!!!

Kala
Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:02 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
The original poster asked this question

"I've been to Oz but not spent enough time there to get to grips with all the differents foods. What typical UK things are not available?"

If there has been nothing that you have wanted that you cant get then would it not be nicer to just not answer than try to make people feel bad for daring to want something from home.

Honestly you lot are making me turn into my mother!!!

Kala
I spoke from experience. I can't get a typical UK product, namely decent guinness in Aus. Was that so mean?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by darkless

Dave
Darkness I'm moving to melbourne so I know Australia is not the UK with Sunshine!!! I have spent time over there and I'm not an idiot. I was just making topical conversation...
Old Mar 14th 2005, 8:42 am
Banned

kismet136 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks jayydee just what i was thinking. you are just answering the other post and the self-righteous wind their handles up about learning to accept the bloody culture!!!! we wouldnt be here if we werent willing to do that would we???? but it doesnt harm to say what we miss does it..arrggghhhhh!!!

Sophia - thanks for your reply. i only know one english shop in brissie and its 50 mins away. this supa cheap shop i havent heard of it in brissie but will def have a lookout for it - for the walkers prawn cocktail alone!!!!!
cheers for that
kismet
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sophia
hiya kala

you can buy a brand called Whisper (whispa?)...they are "always" rebranded I'm sure...anyway they are just as good and thinner than the other stuff available here! Get them in our local woolies.

Surfdude...yorkshire pudding recipe from a yorkshire lass....: 4 heaped tablespoons of plain flour, 2 eggs, pinch of salt, bit of water and milk. Mix the flour, eggs and salt together, slowly add the water/milk until you get a kind of thick cream consistency.

Very important to whisk the mixture thoroughly to get air through the mixture (this helps it to rise)...I use the electric mixer for this. Leave mixture to stand for at least 10 mins...

Make sure oven is really REALLY hot, put pudding tray in oven with a bit of oil in each and heat until the oil is sizzling. Put in mixture and put into oven.

MOST IMPORTANT PART: DO NOT open the oven until they are cooked..otherwise they will go flat. I usually leave them at least 10 mins (depending on your oven) before attempting a sneaky look.

Very easy once you've got the hang of it and remember the two rules!!

love sophia xx

ps, sorry for the rather strange mixture of answers in this post!!!

Cheers I have tried it a few times, cooking was never my strong point ! I will try again and follow the instructions to the letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.