Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Wikiposts

What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What typical UK foods will I not be able to get in Oz?

I've realised lately that I don't miss UK food anymore. If someone offered to bring something over I probably would have to think hard for something foodbased. We're eating well here and I often have money left over from shopping; even the choccie tastes normal after a few months. Thought I would miss Quorn (being a veggie) but there's plenty of other stuff to buy. I missed humus but started making my own. Once you get to know your local shops you can get hold of most things, but I can only speak for Perth. Having said that probably a lot is down to personal taste; but I love olives, olive oil, feta cheese, tuna steaks, fresh veg and yummy bread... might be different if you're into English tucker.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:21 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by pako
I've been to Oz but not spent enough time there to get to grips with all the differents foods. What typical UK things are not available?
Dr Pepper

My 16 year old lad misses it like mad

Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:27 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Larissa
I've realised lately that I don't miss UK food anymore. If someone offered to bring something over I probably would have to think hard for something foodbased. We're eating well here and I often have money left over from shopping; even the choccie tastes normal after a few months. Thought I would miss Quorn (being a veggie) but there's plenty of other stuff to buy. I missed humus but started making my own. Once you get to know your local shops you can get hold of most things, but I can only speak for Perth. Having said that probably a lot is down to personal taste; but I love olives, olive oil, feta cheese, tuna steaks, fresh veg and yummy bread... might be different if you're into English tucker.
That's true. Seems the tastebuds acclimatise too eh

Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:01 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Thanks for that, will give it a try, not something I use that often but need it for a few dishes. Did have a look in the baking sections but couldn't spot it. Will try again now I know the brand name. Wasn't that much of a problem our local butcher gets it in but needs a day or two notice.
It is usually with the flour or the stuffing which is made by the same people

Kala
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:21 am
blossom

Thanks guys..what about 'Ben & Jerrys' ice-cream??...it really is to die for. Its my only weakness. I'm not a fan of jun food or pre-packed nasties...but I do love my ice-cream!!! Please say its sold over there

Hi

i'm sure with all the Italians over there, you will soon find an icecream that your pallet will love !

Blossom

Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

adelaidemark is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Oz but not spent enough time there to get to grips with all the differents foods. What typical UK things are not available?

Forget trying to buy different types of cream in Adelaide - it is either sour cream or thickened cream (ie with gelatine) You cannot get the chioices of single, double, clotted etc

We are really missing a good dollop of clotted cream on scones.

Also I would kill for some curd to make a curd cheescake!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:15 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Dr Pepper

I had that in America, (Dr Pepper, diet vanilla to be precise!) but my Aussie partner tells me it is available over here. Can't say I've seen it, though I do think that Dr Pepper ad's used to be on tv??? Then again, I've spent 18months here and 6months in the UK these past two years and the edges start to blur after a while! Will let you know if I find some!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:16 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

; but I love olives, olive oil, feta cheese, tuna steaks, fresh veg and yummy bread... might be different if you're into English tucker.

Olives over here are great. Marketing manager at my work, also markets a tax scheme which is based on buying olive groves, so we get them as fresh as can be.. Absolutely gorgeous
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Dr Pepper

If you are in, or near, Melbourne you can get Dr. Pepper here: http://www.usafoods.com.au/

They will ship it to you as well. It's a little expensive, but he's probably worth it.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 1:56 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by adelaidemark
Forget trying to buy different types of cream in Adelaide - it is either sour cream or thickened cream (ie with gelatine) You cannot get the chioices of single, double, clotted etc

We are really missing a good dollop of clotted cream on scones.

Also I would kill for some curd to make a curd cheescake!
Double cream:
Look again - eg King Island and others.

Clotted / scalded cream:
Stir pure cream until smooth and pour into a shallow, ovenproof dish. Place dish in a water bath on the lowest shelf of the oven. Bake at 100-120C for about 6 hours. Then refrigerate until chilled and set.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adelaidemark
Cream is not normally marketed here as 'single' or 'double'. You usually have to look at the percentage of fat marked on the packaging to work out how thick it is. Normal cream, not thickened with gelatine, is available everywhere in 250ml (or 500ml) cardboard cartons. It contains about 35% fat and is only slightly less thick (from memory) than 'double' cream. You can whip it to thicken it more.

There is no cream that I know of here that's equivalent to 'single' cream.

You can get cream with a much higher fat content than 35% (like King Island and other similar brands) which are so thick they're almost solid.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:34 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

there's a quote i never thought i'd see!!

Originally Posted by sloake
although the beers better... swings and roundabouts...
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i think i'm almost the same. though my mum has just come over to visit, and i asked her for some stuff. marmite (of course, it's too expensive when you do find it here), and otherwise it was crisps which i don't really eat over here - although not because i don't like them, i'm just a more healthy eater since coming to oz - probably to do with spending more time on the beach and a few chocolate bars (toffee crisp, fudge, caramac - all of which i can get here, but they are so much more expensive).

I've realised lately that I don't miss UK food anymore.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:02 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Thanks guys..what about 'Ben & Jerrys' ice-cream??...it really is to die for. Its my only weakness. I'm not a fan of jun food or pre-packed nasties...but I do love my ice-cream!!! Please say its sold over there
With real Gelato parlours here you shouldn't have a problem with ice cream

I agree with the posters who say they miss nothing about English food....even the sausages I like here

There is a good variety in the supermarkets, and the markets, and local shops round here (Melbourne) are pretty good too. We do most shopping in Napoli's grocer's, eating loads of fresh stuff which seems to keep better here than in the UK.

No complaints at all.....except.....anyone seen Shreddies?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

What I wouldn't give for some Aunt Bessies - nearly one year without a yorkshire pud - tried to make 'my own' well, won't even go there - boy did they bounce !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.