Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What TV did you buy?

What TV did you buy?

Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default What TV did you buy?

Well, I spend a decent couple of hours in front of television everyday... wife and son even more. Its time to by a new one in Oz but seems a tougher decision than buying the car.....

What size 32"-65"?
Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/LG/others?
LCD/Plasma/LED/3D?
New or used?
Why do prices vary so much for the same size and brand, but different models?

How much I should spend on a TV anyways?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: What TV did you buy?

Originally Posted by caliburn
Well, I spend a decent couple of hours in front of television everyday... wife and son even more. Its time to by a new one in Oz but seems a tougher decision than buying the car.....

What size 32"-65"?
LCD/Plasma/LED/3D?
New or used?

Toshiba LCD new, cheaper to repair and LCD less likely to have problems than Plasma if you use for XBox or PS3 etc. If you buy from Myers you also get 3 yr warranty at reasonable price.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

wapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nice

Go to Good guys or jb hi fi.
Look at the 42inch HISENCE.
its made in China like most things these days but has a 3 year replacement
Warranty.
Its hundreds of dollars cheaper than the name brands and all parts are Samsung.
If you go for a bigger screen the parts are Phillips and i dont think as good.
Its the top selling brand in China.
Mine went wrong after two years and they just gave me anew one cant say better than that.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

What size 32"-65"?
LCD/Plasma/LED/3D?
New or used?

I would stay away from Samsung. My mum had a 42 inch Samsung Plasma and the starter motor packed up a couple of months ago. Luckily when she bought it she purchased an extended warranty, which covered it, but having done research on the net, this was a known problem with this model TV.

If you want quality, go for Pioneer. A lot more expensive but you get a 5 year warranty and the quality is second to none.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:42 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro TV and still struggle to find panels to match it even today. The only problem is Pioneer have stopped building plasma's so if you do find one you will pay through the nose for it.

The Pioneer online shop occasionally has them to buy https://web1.pioneer.com.au/itf/PHX/phoenix.nsf/Index

Pioneer technology has now moved over to Panasonic so their TV's would be my next point of call.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Panasonic 54" plasma. It's beautiful.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-...-tv-sku-54954/
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro TV and still struggle to find panels to match it even today. The only problem is Pioneer have stopped building plasma's so if you do find one you will pay through the nose for it.

The Pioneer online shop occasionally has them to buy https://web1.pioneer.com.au/itf/PHX/phoenix.nsf/Index

Pioneer technology has now moved over to Panasonic so their TV's would be my next point of call.
I have the 42" version (whish I'd bought the 50") and the last of the Kuro's is still the best TV ever made, they're seriously high end though and not everyone wants that. They're also Plasma, but lets not start another Plasma vs. LCD holy war (a good plasma will beat a good LCD every time IMHO)

I'll keep an eye on the shop - I'd like a KRP500 kuro but had given up hope.

Last edited by freebo; Oct 19th 2010 at 11:47 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

42" Panasonic Plasma.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
They're also Plasma, but lets not start another Plasma vs. LCD holy war (a good plasma will beat a good LCD every time IMHO)
Looks like you may just have done.

The latest LCDs knock the shit out of plasma but ultimately, who gives a toss.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 20th 2010 at 2:06 am.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
42" Panasonic Plasma.

That's what I have too. Over 4 years on, it's still going strong
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

What size 32"-65"?
LCD/Plasma/LED/3D?
New or used?

Us - 32" Sanyo LCD, New, about $600, I think.

My advice, spend as little as you can while getting all the features you REALLY need.

And don't take out an extended warranty, they are all rip-offs. If it's going to fail it will do so in the first year, 'tis the way of modern electronics ...

AND don't pay silly money for a HDMI cable if you need one, $20 max.

LCD vs Plasma? Ours is made from plastic and the picture seems alright ... works for us ...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Looks like you may just have done.

The latest LCDs knock the shit out of plasma but ultimaltely, who gives a toss.
I don't agree but can't be arsed to argue the finer points.

P.S. Plasma is better

Last edited by freebo; Oct 20th 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

I'm interested in this too. Also in the Plasma vs LCD debate... are there any objective comparisons of the two technologies?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice

Had it a few years now. But we went for a 72inch LG lcos. We all know size does matter.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumble69
I'm interested in this too. Also in the Plasma vs LCD debate... are there any objective comparisons of the two technologies?

I have one of each, can't really tell the difference to be honest

Except for the obvious difference...one is 42 " and the other is 21

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.