Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What time does it get it dark in Summer??

What time does it get it dark in Summer??

Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:38 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough
Default What time does it get it dark in Summer??

Hello everyone,

My hubby keeps on at me to ask what time it gets dark in the summer in Brisbane??

We were in Brisbane in June - so we know what time it gets dark in the winter, but he's been told it's dark by 6pm in the summer and he can't get his head round that!!!

Also, if it does get dark early in summer - is it still ok to carry on having BBQ's with outside lights etc - or will the flying, biting nasty things get you too much???

Cheers

Shell
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What time does it get it dark in Summer??

willow says it gets dark around 7 at christmas time but she reckons by march or even february she was biking home from training in the dark at even 5! she was there last xmas. it never stays light very late but it does get light very early. people just get up earlier and finish their day earlier. i've only been in april - august and i remember its early. who cares. when its light, its very light.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:00 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shecha
Hello everyone,

My hubby keeps on at me to ask what time it gets dark in the summer in Brisbane??

We were in Brisbane in June - so we know what time it gets dark in the winter, but he's been told it's dark by 6pm in the summer and he can't get his head round that!!!

Also, if it does get dark early in summer - is it still ok to carry on having BBQ's with outside lights etc - or will the flying, biting nasty things get you too much???

Cheers

Shell
9.30pm where we are heading

Kay
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:30 pm
Merlot

From memory, high summer NSW around 8.30 to 9.00 pm - any other offers?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello everyone,

Cheers

Shell
hello when i have been to the gold coast always around december to march i found it starts to get dark around 5/6 and thats the summer ,mind you as is already been said they do get up earlier (that might be to the noise that all the birds make)
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:36 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by karenjc
hello when i have been to the gold coast always around december to march i found it starts to get dark around 5/6 and thats the summer ,mind you as is already been said they do get up earlier (that might be to the noise that all the birds make)
Plus the heat gets you rising early if you have no air con, or maybe the fact you haven't slept with the heat, I can't remember which!

I don't miss lying with cool box/esky blocks on my head at 2 in the morning, I just have icicles or the cats butt now in the UK!

All a great experience non the less - summers in Oz, not my cats butt.

M

Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:22 pm
newish member

iainpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Plus the heat gets you rising early if you have no air con, or maybe the fact you haven't slept with the heat, I can't remember which!

I don't miss lying with cool box/esky blocks on my head at 2 in the morning, I just have icicles or the cats butt now in the UK!

All a great experience non the less - summers in Oz, not my cats butt.

M
Glad to hear it! What about the weather etc in Adelaide? anyone know?
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

The longest day in summer, the sun actually sets at 6.50pm. We dont have a great deal of twilight, so its generally dark at around 7.15-7.30 (I guess it depends on your definition of dark).

For about 3 moths of the year (Dec - Feb) sunset is at 6.30pm or after. Then add around 30 mins twilight.

I think some of you need new watches .

Shecha, we sit out & enjoy the verandah after dark, depending on how much rain there has been there may be some mozzies, we just light some citronella candles or put a bit of spray on if we need it. Mozzies are certainly found everywhere in Brisbane, but some areas are worse than others .
Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:40 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by iainpat
Glad to hear it! What about the weather etc in Adelaide? anyone know?
A lot hotter than Cardiff I imagine!

M

Old Jan 26th 2005, 8:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
9.30pm where we are heading

Kay
Yeah, but you're off to the Apple Isle you lucky gits!!!! Get some decent evenings down there with sunsets at a "proper" time
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

In the height of summer, it gets dark at about 21h15 in Melbourne
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:42 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hello everyone,

Cheers

Shell
I went to play Touch last night. Game started at 6.45pm, it was still light. By half time (about 7.15pm) if was dark though! It was a pretty miserable day y'day, but you could probably only add 15mins max onto this really.
When I get up to run on a Saturday morning, its normally light by about 4.45am.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 9:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
When I get up to run on a Saturday morning, its normally light by about 4.45am.
When I am just going to bed on a Saturday morning, its normally light around 4.45am......
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:00 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Cheers guys for all your replies. I've let hubby know so that he can start getting used to the idea of waking up early and going to bed early!!

It's just seems to be a matter of altering your sleeping times, so instead of going to bed at 11.00 pm and waking up at 7.00 am, we'll get up at 5.00 am and go to bed at 9.00 pm.

Sorted!!!!

Thanks again

Shell
Old Jan 26th 2005, 10:03 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to sunrise and sunset times fro Brisbane - can use it for other cities too.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...ear=2005&day=1

As Mrs. DB says 6:50 is the latest sunset. Our days are now getting shorter, it is definitely darker later in the mornings now.

Being on a low latitude (27 degrees south), Brisbane gets less variation in seasonal daylight hours than place of higher latitudes. Birmingham (UK) for example is 52 degrees north and so gets long summer daylight and short winter daylight.

At the equator sunrise and set is basically fixed all year at (I think) 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. At highest latitudes (poles) you get basically six months of daylight and six months of darkness.

All points on earth therefore get the same number of annual daylight hours. The seasonal variation depends on latitude. Similarly, low latitudes (nearer equator) there is less twilight, when the sun goes down it goes down quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.