Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What time does it get dark?

What time does it get dark?

Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default What time does it get dark?

I've just had a conversation with someone who said that it's dark in Oz by 6pm in the summer, is this right?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What time does it get dark?

Originally Posted by BudBrain
I've just had a conversation with someone who said that it's dark in Oz by 6pm in the summer, is this right?

Depends where you go. If you got to QLD then yes, if you come to South Australia then no, it's about 8:30 here before sundown - but then we have daylight savings and QLD don't.

You can find the sun rise and sun set times here: http://www.australianweddingcompany....s/sun_time.php - just select the state you want to look at.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

It is weird to start with but it's still warm and nice... it's nice to take a moonlit stroll along the beach
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Depends where you are talking about.

We are in WA and they are doing a summer time trial. This is the final year.

The first summer we were here I liked the idea of summer time change because of what we were used to in the UK and couldn't quite get what all the fuss was about and why people opposed it but this summer I am thinking I actually would prefer the clocks to stay the same. When it gets hot and the sun doesn't go down until 830pm it then takes another couple of hours to feel cooler in our house.

When the forecast is hot everyone is up and about early so slowly we are moving to the more Australian way of being up early and to bed early. I really though it would bother me (if it got earlier) but it wouldn't either way.

Poppet

Last edited by PoppetUK; Feb 20th 2009 at 12:52 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

WA daylight savings should be in the winter.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Depends where you go. If you got to QLD then yes, if you come to South Australia then no, it's about 8:30 here before sundown - but then we have daylight savings and QLD don't.

You can find the sun rise and sun set times here: http://www.australianweddingcompany....s/sun_time.php - just select the state you want to look at.

Have you been to qld Its not dark in qld in summer at 6pm, 7/7.30 the latest but not 6pm.

There are a lot of rumours about brisbane that people believe, another one is it has no beaches, we lived 30 mins from the CBD with a beach/pier right outside our front door, views of the beach from nearly every room in the house, the granted it wasnt a surf beach, more like a Victorian Bayside Beach.

But we do have chickens and cows with curtains
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:57 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are. In the summer, being the southern hemisphere, the further south you go the longer the days. (The reverse applies in winter, of course.) And of course the further south you go, the greater the difference between summer and winter hours of daylight.

Queensland and the Northern Territory do not have summer time (daylight saving); New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania do, and have for many years; and Western Australia has experimented with it this summer.

In Brisbane, which is also a long way east in its time zone, the sun sets in midsummer at about 6.45pm, though the light would last somewhat longer than that, with twilight. Down in Hobart in midsummer, the sun sets at about 9.00pm, with of course a long twilight (twilight gets longer the further you go from the equator).

Remember too that in many (?most) parts of Australia, life is lived "earlier in the day" than it is in most parts of the UK: people get up earlier, go to work earlier, come home earlier, et dinner earlier and go to dinner earlier.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

why would you want light after 7 it seems the whole of queensland goes to bed about 8.30
my local pub closed at 10,15 (woodpecker burpengary) last satuday night

things stay open a bit later in brisbane but not out of the city
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:55 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Its 6pm here in teh Sunshine coast I am sure. I usually lock up my chickens at about 6.50 and its very dark then.

I really miss light nights, its a bit of a shock when you get home from work and think you'll have a barbie and its pitch black. Even in some areas of Brisbane its a bit like the 1970s in terms of shops opening. We spent many nights wandering around trying to get drinks after 9pm. And Saturdays kill me - my husband works away and I always end up with an empty fridge, 3 kids traipsing around convenience stores spending a fortune at 6pm on a saturday. I usually go to the beach or do something all day then end up with no food.

Thank god for 7/11s I say. I also get lots of fish from the spit because that is open.

And no home delivery here - like I am so past doing shopping. I like deliveries.

So - before you come to sunshine coast QLD, take note: Its hot, there are flies, spiders, snakes (seen rarely), cockroaches, goes dark early in summer, shops dont open late, cant buy beer in the supermarket, no bbc2, its so uncultured (shudder), its not like britain but warm.

Other than that its pretty perfect.

Vivienne
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
why would you want light after 7 it seems the whole of queensland goes to bed about 8.30
my local pub closed at 10,15 (woodpecker burpengary) last satuday night

things stay open a bit later in brisbane but not out of the city
We don't ALL go to bed that early though and some of us would like light evenings.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

charlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nicecharlie rara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy

what is this "daylight savings" thing ???
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:21 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie rara
what is this "daylight savings" thing ???
Its like they do in britain they adjust the clocks to get an extra hour sun. Its a big debate here = they reckon there will be more skin cancer if they do that and its ahrder for farmers
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Its like they do in britain they adjust the clocks to get an extra hour sun.
The amount of time the sun is above the horizon is exactly the same. All it does is move the working pattern of the day an hour "earlier".
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:27 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

9.30pm
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have you been to qld Its not dark in qld in summer at 6pm, 7/7.30 the latest but not 6pm.

There are a lot of rumours about brisbane that people believe, another one is it has no beaches, we lived 30 mins from the CBD with a beach/pier right outside our front door, views of the beach from nearly every room in the house, the granted it wasnt a surf beach, more like a Victorian Bayside Beach.

But we do have chickens and cows with curtains

No I haven't been to QLD. Must stop reading the MBTTUK forum as that's where I got that time from! Thanks for correcting me (them?!) though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.