Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are timber houses like?

What are timber houses like?

Old May 15th 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice
Default What are timber houses like?

I've seen timber homes advertised on realestateview but have no idea what they are like. They sound very fragile to me but this is a very uninformed view. Does anyone know anything about timber houses, advantages, disadvantages?

Moving to Melbourne in 2 weeks time in case weather is a factor of consideration.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:51 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are timber houses like?

Originally Posted by dade
I've seen timber homes advertised on realestateview but have no idea what they are like. They sound very fragile to me but this is a very uninformed view. Does anyone know anything about timber houses, advantages, disadvantages?

Moving to Melbourne in 2 weeks time in case weather is a factor of consideration.
Do you mean maybe weatherboard ?

here is an explanation of what weatherboard actually is :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=weatherboard

Timber housing :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=weatherboard
Old May 15th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

[QUOTE=furkew;4785139]Do you mean maybe weatherboard ?

QUOTE]

Not sure, have just seen it described as "timber" but the pictures on the link you've given me look similar to what I've seen on the property site so perhaps it's the same. Thanks for that info.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:26 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dade;4785226]
Originally Posted by furkew
Do you mean maybe weatherboard ?

QUOTE]

Not sure, have just seen it described as "timber" but the pictures on the link you've given me look similar to what I've seen on the property site so perhaps it's the same. Thanks for that info.
where are you looking to buy ?

We are headed for Vic in July, and have seen plenty of timber/weatherboard houses.

We are looking at the Dandenongs region
Old May 15th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=furkew;4785288]

where are you looking to buy ?

We are headed for Vic in July, and have seen plenty of timber/weatherboard houses.

We are looking at the Dandenongs region
I live in a weatherboard house and like it. No probs.

Jo
Old May 15th 2007, 10:29 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Make sure you get any stumps inspected - many suffer from concrete rot (if you have concrete ones) and can be a pain to replace. If the floor feels uneven when walking through, the house has probably "settled" and you def need the stumps to be checked.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by ridds
Make sure you get any stumps inspected - many suffer from concrete rot (if you have concrete ones) and can be a pain to replace. If the floor feels uneven when walking through, the house has probably "settled" and you def need the stumps to be checked.
Watch out for the termites
Old May 16th 2007, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are made of brick pillars.
Old May 16th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Billabong
Watch out for the termites
We have had termidor termite protection done.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

They might fetch less than the brick home next to it.

Nothing wrong with them in my opinion. It's a personal thing.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:13 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
They might fetch less than the brick home next to it.

Nothing wrong with them in my opinion. It's a personal thing.
Not necessarily less, depending on the area and the "character" of the house and neighbouring properties. Eg in brisbane, you will often pay more for a "character" queenslander than the brick and tile next door.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:15 am
brisvegas

Originally Posted by joho
Mine are made of brick pillars.
Better than concrete in some cases - less likely to fail due to poor concrete mix. Still worth checking floor levels, esp as the climate is drier. The water table is receeding in many areas and this can cause settling / subsidence, esp if the pillars / stumps don't go deep.

Even though Im going to have to restump my non-level, uneven, falling into the pool house, i still love living in it and wouldn't swap it for brick and tile.

Last edited by ridds; May 16th 2007 at 9:25 am.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Weatherboard is timber clad. They are cold and draftly unless well insulated. Would not be my first choice.
Old May 16th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily less, depending on the area and the "character" of the house and neighbouring properties. Eg in brisbane, you will often pay more for a "character" queenslander than the brick and tile next door.
Indeed - in the right area they will be the norm.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. We're looking to rent for at least a year before we buy anything so this would be a rental property.