Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what are the things I must do within the first week?

what are the things I must do within the first week?

Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

teemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really niceteemong is just really nice
Default what are the things I must do within the first week?

hi,

I shall be moving in soon.
I would like to know what are the few official things I shud do, I can think of the following:

1. open a bank account
2. get a bank locker
3. get tax file number
4. go to centerlink.

anything else?

cheers

tee
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are the things I must do within the first week?

Originally Posted by teemong
hi,

I shall be moving in soon.
I would like to know what are the few official things I shud do, I can think of the following:

1. open a bank account
2. get a bank locker
3. get tax file number
4. go to centerlink.

anything else?

cheers

tee
You can open a bank account before you come, then you will just need to show up with your ID to be able to withdraw cash. There are a few banks that allow you to open an account before you come, such as ANZ and Westpac.

Don't know what a bank locker is

Tax file number and Centrelink can wait until you get over the jet lag, and they say to give them 7 - 10 days to get your info from immigration anyway. I went in on day 5 only to be sent away as they didn't have my details
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Also register with Medicare

Then sit back and take it easy...knowing that the tax man will have his hands on anything you earn, but if you fall over drunk, Medicare will sort you out
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=2
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Brecht G is an unknown quantity at this point

perhaps this might help:
http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...irst/index.htm
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brecht G
Thats a great link and the Beginning a new life in Australia booklet, link at the bottom of the page, is a superb mine of information and links.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

One thing I recommend is not to rush to get your driving licence, I did mine the day after we landed and it then had my holiday address on it. Also it has to be posted out to you so it is better to wait until you get a long term rental.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:33 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
Thats a great link and the Beginning a new life in Australia booklet, link at the bottom of the page, is a superb mine of information and links.
Nice link. Am I missing something? I can't find the english version of the booklet

Darren
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Chill, have a beer, go down to the ocean and take some deep breaths
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:51 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Chill, have a beer, go down to the ocean and take some deep breaths
Sound advice....
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Worried! What happens at Centrelink? Never heard of it!
Is that where you get your tax file number as I heard you can do that on line?
Also, I know I have to get Medicare but where from? !!
Thanks in advance for help on this!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:55 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Nice link. Am I missing something? I can't find the english version of the booklet

Darren
Think you must be !!!
Here ya go!

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...select/eng.htm
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Worried! What happens at Centrelink? Never heard of it!
Is that where you get your tax file number as I heard you can do that on line?
Also, I know I have to get Medicare but where from? !!
Thanks in advance for help on this!
Use my link, that booklet has explanations and links to everything you need to know.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:31 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

... just one thing.

Exhale.

Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:32 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

Originally Posted by paddyo
Cheers paddyo, much appreciated.

Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.