Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What tests do cats need for immigration

What tests do cats need for immigration

Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:13 am
Just Joined

P and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really niceP and M is just really nice
Default What tests do cats need for immigration

Hi guys,

Seems I post more questions about our cats than I do our VISA !

We are migrating from Ireland to Melbourne, Q1 08 on a 457. ( Fingers, toes, legs, arms, hair, eys crossed :-) )

Can anyone who has imported cat or cats remember the tests that need to be done? I have conflicting info at the moment, conflicting even from the same Aussie gov dept !

Any memories appreciated

Thanks in advance

Great forum by the way, dont know what we would do without it....and others!

P and M
Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What tests do cats need for immigration

Rabies vaccination, with a blood test to ensure the vaccine has been taken up. They need to be vaccinated against cat flu, enteritis and a couple of others (can't find the paperwork at the moment but its on their website). I don't know however if there are any additional requirements from Ireland, it would be worth checking their website, or speak to a pet shipper, they can give you all the info you need.

You need to get a permit before you can book into a quarantine station, and this takes about 3 weeks and has a limited validity (I'm sure AQIS said 9 months, but my paperwork from Golden Arrow says 6). The lead time for booking into quarantine stations is quite long - as at last week Perth was about 3-4 months.

There is some other stuff that they need to have done within a couple of days of travel, but generally the pet agents arrange this for you. Best of luck.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

.... basic language skills and a Maths test.

(sorry could not resist!)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:06 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P and M
Hi guys,

Seems I post more questions about our cats than I do our VISA !

We are migrating from Ireland to Melbourne, Q1 08 on a 457. ( Fingers, toes, legs, arms, hair, eys crossed :-) )

Can anyone who has imported cat or cats remember the tests that need to be done? I have conflicting info at the moment, conflicting even from the same Aussie gov dept !

Any memories appreciated

Thanks in advance

Great forum by the way, dont know what we would do without it....and others!

P and M
We have only been here a short while, 18 weeks, and all our cat needed was for her vaccinations to be up to date and she also needed to be microchipped. That was it. She and our dog travelled with Golden Arrow, Brilliant, and they were checked by their vets a day or two before travelling. Both arrived safe and sound........... C x
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:07 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Rabies vaccination, with a blood test to ensure the vaccine has been taken up.
Going from the UK to Oz, cats *do not* need rabies vaccination.

Our cat just needed her ordinary annual booster jab to be up-to-date plus she needed to be microchipped. If you use a pert shipping company, they will collect the cat the day before the flight, because the cat needs to be checked over by a government approved vet before the flight (pet shippers will arrange all that).

We used Airpets. Our cat flew out a week ago and arrived safe and sound.

Gina
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, I was told they did. Seeing as yours is there minus rabies jabs & mine isn't there yet I'm more inclined to believe you

Glad to hear your cat arrived safely.