Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to tell UK government

What to tell UK government

Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Martin72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to tell UK government

I will emigrating to Perth with my family in Feb 2010 and wanted to know if I need to inform the UK government that I will be leaving the country.

This is in terms of
- Tax and getting any refund
- State pension, Does it just site there until I retire (many years from now)
- Any benefits I currently get i.e. child benefit, tax credits.

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to tell UK government

Yes you need to tell the government, particularly about 1 and 3. I don't know what happens with pensions, perhaps somebody else will clarify on that.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin72
I will emigrating to Perth with my family in Feb 2010 and wanted to know if I need to inform the UK government that I will be leaving the country.

This is in terms of
- Tax and getting any refund
- State pension, Does it just site there until I retire (many years from now)
- Any benefits I currently get i.e. child benefit, tax credits.

Thanks
Your State pension will sit there till you retire, you can then get it paid to you in Aus.
You need to notify the child benefit people - all that kind of thing needs to be stopped when you leave.
Tax refund you need a P85 from the Inland Revenue website.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Your State pension will sit there till you retire, you can then get it paid to you in Aus.
You need to notify the child benefit people - all that kind of thing needs to be stopped when you leave.
As the others have said but I also felt like saying - "I'm outta here - get stuffed" :-)
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Goodbye and get stuffed is perfect.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
As the others have said but I also felt like saying - "I'm outta here - get stuffed" :-)
Tempting, but two things stopped me - the thought that I might actually need that pension one day, as I am never likely to be eligible for an Aussie one, and the size of the tax refund I got Thanks! seemed more appropriate!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tempting, but two things stopped me - the thought that I might actually need that pension one day, as I am never likely to be eligible for an Aussie one, and the size of the tax refund I got Thanks! seemed more appropriate!

Things places and people change, never burn ones bridges totally. As many eggs in as many baskets as possible is the way to go.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:23 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

make sure this is done in writing as they ( child tax benifit ) are completly ****** useless, cancelled everthing yet they carried on paying it into our account, even called them from aus but they carried on paying for almost a yr then they sent demands with repay in 7 days or face charges
like i said complete muppets get it in writing
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
make sure this is done in writing as they ( child tax benifit ) are completly ****** useless, cancelled everthing yet they carried on paying it into our account, even called them from aus but they carried on paying for almost a yr then they sent demands with repay in 7 days or face charges
like i said complete muppets get it in writing
And do that about a year before you plan on moving. If you leave it until the last minute, do not give them a forwarding address, not even the parents and if possible, close the bank account they have details of. Steve is actually being generous. I'd use far stronger words than his about the bunch of useless morons.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Check regarding your State Pension as I believe you have to top up your NI Contributions in order to be eligable for it when you retire.. There's pleanty of companies who can provide info on this as well as transferring over other UK pensions.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:40 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by filcomm
Check regarding your State Pension as I believe you have to top up your NI Contributions in order to be eligable for it when you retire.. There's pleanty of companies who can provide info on this as well as transferring over other UK pensions.
No, you can top up if you wish to, but you don't have to. You can claim based on whatever you have paid in.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And do that about a year before you plan on moving. If you leave it until the last minute, do not give them a forwarding address, not even the parents and if possible, close the bank account they have details of. Steve is actually being generous. I'd use far stronger words than his about the bunch of useless morons.
Ah but if they're that useless, then maybe some bright spark will actually do more than their job and stop our child benefits early if we told them about it now. Then we'll never get it from them.

Ours goes into a savings account anyhow so won't get used for anything else and we could pay them back.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Ah but if they're that useless, then maybe some bright spark will actually do more than their job and stop our child benefits early if we told them about it now. Then we'll never get it from them.

Ours goes into a savings account anyhow so won't get used for anything else and we could pay them back.
If it had meant that we lost a bit of money but didn't have two years of grief once we'd got here it would have been a small price to pay.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If it had meant that we lost a bit of money but didn't have two years of grief once we'd got here it would have been a small price to pay.

Yeah I see your point. I will get it in writing from them as Steve says above whatever we do. That makes sense.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yeah I see your point. I will get it in writing from them as Steve says above whatever we do. That makes sense.
Sorry, just noticed your avatar, that's a cracker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.