Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

Monthly expenses for a family of 4 (2kids ages 8 and new born)

I hope I have got my budget right - It could be a bit over the top, BUT I would rather err on the safe side.

BASICS S.................................SOURCE OF INFO

Groceries................ $700..............greengrocer.com.au
Private Health Insurance..............$150
Water/Sewerage..........$30........melbourneflorida.org/info
(incl rates, usage of 5k gallons

Council Rates......................$120 .......monash.vic.gov.au/services
(propvalue 400k,Municipality-Monash)

Elect & Gas rates+usage.......$ 200**.....txu.com.au
Telephone(rental plus calls).......$100........telstra.com.au
Car maint,ins,travel ..................$500
Miscellaneous.............................$200
(School,other insurance etc)
Total BASICS $$ 2,000 per month - Excluding Accomodation

Entertainment, travel abroad (once-twice a year)/local , other discretionary spending (clothes etc etc) extra : Say $1500 per month

Have I got it right??

Nina

Last edited by NinaU; Mar 25th 2003 at 10:16 am.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it takes to have a good standard of living in Australia...

Originally posted by NinaU
Monthly expenses for a family of 4 (2kids ages 8 and new born)

I hope I have got my budget right - It could be a bit over the top, BUT I would rather err on the safe side.

BASICS S.................................SOURCE OF INFO

Groceries................ $700..............greengrocer.com.au
Private Health Insurance..............$150
Water/Sewerage..........$30........melbourneflorida.org/info
(incl rates, usage of 5k gallons

Council Rates......................$120 .......monash.vic.gov.au/services
(propvalue 400k,Municipality-Monash)

Elect & Gas rates+usage.......$ 200**.....txu.com.au
Telephone(rental plus calls).......$100........telstra.com.au
Car maint,ins,travel ..................$500
Miscellaneous.............................$200
(School,other insurance etc)
Total BASICS $$ 2,000 per month - Excluding Accomodation

Entertainment, travel abroad (once-twice a year)/local , other discretionary spending (clothes etc etc) extra : Say $1500 per month

Have I got it right??

Nina
Thats okay for a very low standard of living depends on your needs I spend more than $400 a week on entertainment alone thats a slow week can be a lot more.
Includes eating out , cinema , golf and a drink or two at the OB , you will spend what you earn plus more thats life.

Old Mar 26th 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Thats okay for a very low standard of living depends on your needs I spend more than $400 a week on entertainment alone thats a slow week can be a lot more.
Includes eating out , cinema , golf and a drink or two at the OB , you will spend what you earn plus more thats life.

Thanks PB. But have I atleast got the basics right?.
The rest of it depends on individual life styles I guess. We don't drink, play golf. We don't enjoy the Cinema's/theatre (includes my kid) - prefer watching movies at home with family - invested in this fancy home theatre system - better make the most use of it!!. Haven't been to a Cinema in 6 years!!

I love going out (hiking, picnics with the kids and friends , family) that sort of a thing, visiting friends, family etc. We plan to travel a lot - maybe I should increase my budget there.

Nina
Old Mar 26th 2003, 3:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PB. But have I atleast got the basics right?.
The rest of it depends on individual life styles I guess. We don't drink, play golf. We don't enjoy the Cinema's/theatre (includes my kid) - prefer watching movies at home with family - invested in this fancy home theatre system - better make the most use of it!!. Haven't been to a Cinema in 6 years!!

I love going out (hiking, picnics with the kids and friends , family) that sort of a thing, visiting friends, family etc. We plan to travel a lot - maybe I should increase my budget there.

Nina
Travel here is expensive mainly because of distances , hiking here is not as big as the UK where as Cinemas are bigger , they are everywhere in far bigger numbers than the UK.
It can be hard to travel short distances and see any change in where you are , WA alone is 5 times bigger than the UK a lot of trips are measured in days not hours .
The best way to go interstate is fly if you are in WA not so bad over East were people move more freely .
Home Theatre is the in thing here mainly because as you say for most staying in is the cheap way to go and its all some can afford to do.

Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Travel here is expensive mainly because of distances , hiking here is not as big as the UK where as Cinemas are bigger , they are everywhere in far bigger numbers than the UK.
It can be hard to travel short distances and see any change in where you are , WA alone is 5 times bigger than the UK a lot of trips are measured in days not hours .
The best way to go interstate is fly if you are in WA not so bad over East were people move more freely .
Home Theatre is the in thing here mainly because as you say for most staying in is the cheap way to go and its all some can afford to do.

In Australia we plan to travel only within Melbourne (where we intend to settle down) and Sydney. We would do a fair bit of travelling abroad - visiting family. This would be twice a year.
BTW if my family sends us the tickets/sponsors our travel - would that be taxed?

Nina

Last edited by NinaU; Mar 26th 2003 at 9:25 am.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:59 am
Banned

In Australia we plan to travel only within Melbourne (where we intend to settle down) and Sydney. We would do a fair bit of travelling abroad - visiting family. This would be twice a year.
BTW if my family sends us the tickets/sposors our travel - would that be taxed?

Nina

No you would not be taxed if its possible to sent tickets to Australia I would say that you would have to buy them here .
Travel and spending money can work out very expensive if you are in Australia most add the cost to their mortgage if they go back to the UK.
Melbourne has very nice countryside I am told though its a very big city thats growing all the time and people are getting pushed farther out not unlike Sydney.

Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

No you would not be taxed if its possible to sent tickets to Australia I would say that you would have to buy them here .
Travel and spending money can work out very expensive if you are in Australia most add the cost to their mortgage if they go back to the UK.
Melbourne has very nice countryside I am told though its a very big city thats growing all the time and people are getting pushed farther out not unlike Sydney.

Thanks for the info PB. Much appreciated. I have visited Melbourne twice and Sydney once. I liked Sydney more - found it more lively and also the weather was better (Melbourne was too cold for me). I wont be taking any mortgage and this will make a big difference to our disposable income.

I have close family in both places. They are doing very well - both in I.T fields and working for American multinats.

We are both in the finance industry and we know that we wont get any decent (well paying) jobs there. I don't plan to work - want to spend more time with the kids and home. Husband will probably do something on his own .

Nina
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:37 am
Banned

Thanks for the info PB. Much appreciated. I have visited Melbourne twice and Sydney once. I liked Sydney more - found it more lively and also the weather was better (Melbourne was too cold for me). I wont be taking any mortgage and this will make a big difference to our disposable income.

I have close family in both places. They are doing very well - both in I.T fields and working for American multinats.

We are both in the finance industry and we know that we wont get any decent (well paying) jobs there. I don't plan to work - want to spend more time with the kids and home. Husband will probably do something on his own .

Nina
No idea about your jobs there are finance companies here who need people I am sure , it seems evey ones to dream to have no mortgage never met anyone who kept to this plan yet but good luck .

Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

No idea about your jobs there are finance companies here who need people I am sure , it seems evey ones to dream to have no mortgage never met anyone who kept to this plan yet but good luck .

Never taken a loan in my life - dont intend to. Have saved up enough for a house, childrens college edu, semi retirement, emergencies etc etc.

Nina
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:48 am
Banned

Never taken a loan in my life - dont intend to. Have saved up enough for a house, childrens college edu, semi retirement, emergencies etc etc.

Nina
Best way to go very few are so lucky so your gains on moving will be small?

Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Best way to go very few are so lucky so your gains on moving will be small?

Yes - monetarily none. But a different life style yes. Whether it is for the better - dont know. Can comment only after living there. But my family seem pretty happy there.
We've travelled a fair bit ( India, HK, Spore, NY ) and have family in all these places. Haven't visited UK yet - plenty of cousins there too.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:21 am
Banned

Yes - monetarily none. But a different life style yes. Whether it is for the better - dont know. Can comment only after living there. But my family seem pretty happy there.
We've travelled a fair bit ( India, HK, Spore, NY ) and have family in all these places. Haven't visited UK yet - plenty of cousins there too.
You sound very well travelled good luck and happyness.

Old Mar 26th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

You sound very well travelled good luck and happyness.

Thanks PB. And good luck and happiness to you and your family too.

Nina
Old Mar 26th 2003, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Just like to say, we have lived near Sydney for a year now and there is plenty to do here without spending any money. The countryside is fantastic and we don't have to go far to get into the rural and bush areas. Lots of bush walks and plenty of fishing, picnic areas and lovely beaches within an hours drive away, all free! I think the one of the best days me and the kids had in the last holidays was visiting Sydney. We spent $10 for all day parking and that was it. Took a picnic, walked round the Botanical gardens and Darling harbour has a fantastic playground (although this was a bit busy but bearable). If you want to splash out you can visit the museums for about $5 each, and on some days they are free. There is a paper here called Sydney's Child and in there they list all the best places to go with the kids and all thats on. They have a website as well.

Anyway, not sure what our monthly outgoings are, we just know our bank account is increasing at the moment so it must be less than what we are earning! We have quite a lavish lifestyle at the moment, so would probably freak out if we did sit down and work it all out! Still whats the harm in living a little while we can. Once we buy our own house things are going to be different though!!

Mandy
Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Just like to say, we have lived near Sydney for a year now and there is plenty to do here without spending any money. The countryside is fantastic and we don't have to go far to get into the rural and bush areas. Lots of bush walks and plenty of fishing, picnic areas and lovely beaches within an hours drive away, all free! I think the one of the best days me and the kids had in the last holidays was visiting Sydney. We spent $10 for all day parking and that was it. Took a picnic, walked round the Botanical gardens and Darling harbour has a fantastic playground (although this was a bit busy but bearable). If you want to splash out you can visit the museums for about $5 each, and on some days they are free. There is a paper here called Sydney's Child and in there they list all the best places to go with the kids and all thats on. They have a website as well.

Anyway, not sure what our monthly outgoings are, we just know our bank account is increasing at the moment so it must be less than what we are earning! We have quite a lavish lifestyle at the moment, so would probably freak out if we did sit down and work it all out! Still whats the harm in living a little while we can. Once we buy our own house things are going to be different though!!

Mandy
Thanks Mandy. I am glad you are enjoying Sydney.
I liked Sydney too - the weather is better in winter - compared to Melbourne. But the houses are too expensive. My cousin bought a house in Roseville for about 750k - nice 4 br with a pool, in 2000. Prices have probably doubled by now ...sob...we missed the boat!.
In all probability we would be heading for Melbourne.
Could you give me a rough idea of what your monthly outgoings are?

PS : How old are your kids?

Nina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.