British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what to take with you (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-take-you-119873/)

abergas Dec 1st 2002 3:06 pm

what to take with you

Hi
Been awake most of the night thinking about Australia, again!!! might have something to do with friends flying out yesterday for a month.
The thing that was keeping me awake was, what are the most important things to take with you in your cases and hand luggage. We plan to rent for a while before we buy our own home. Im sure theres plenty of people our there who can help, especially those who have been waiting 17 months etc. Someone said to me the other day, do you have any worries about going to Australia. I said no, not now we have been waiting so long. hope this makes sense, hit the wine this afternoon.
c-ya yve

pommiesheila Dec 1st 2002 10:08 pm

Re: what to take with you

Originally posted by abergas
Hi
Been awake most of the night thinking about Australia, again!!! might have something to do with friends flying out yesterday for a month.
The thing that was keeping me awake was, what are the most important things to take with you in your cases and hand luggage. We plan to rent for a while before we buy our own home. Im sure theres plenty of people our there who can help, especially those who have been waiting 17 months etc. Someone said to me the other day, do you have any worries about going to Australia. I said no, not now we have been waiting so long. hope this makes sense, hit the wine this afternoon.
c-ya yve

One thing which you may find very important is a letter from your car insurance company confirming your no claims bonus - don't pack it with your goods to be shipped - you'll probably want to buy a car before it arrives...

Also, if you have children, try and bring their school reports, immunisation records etc. Useful if you need to enrol them into school before the rest of the gear arrives.

Make sure you pack all important documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. in your hand luggage (we took extra copies and packed them in the container as well).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but if I do, I'll let you know. Good luck with the trip. Weather's great here at the moment!!!

shorrock Dec 1st 2002 10:26 pm

Originally posted by pommiesheila
One thing which you may find very important is a letter from your car insurance company confirming your no claims bonus - don't pack it with your goods to be shipped - you'll probably want to buy a car before it arrives...

Also, if you have children, try and bring their school reports, immunisation records etc. Useful if you need to enrol them into school before the rest of the gear arrives.

Make sure you pack all important documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. in your hand luggage (we took extra copies and packed them in the container as well).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but if I do, I'll let you know. Good luck with the trip. Weather's great here at the moment!!!

may be a few t-shits, shorts, swin wear and the odd other piece of clothing.

KS

suebo Dec 3rd 2002 1:48 am

Depends on whether you are packing up your whole house and shipping it over. You won't have problems with the wattage/voltage ratings, so if you want to bring over electrical products they will work (with a conversion plug) - not sure about TV & VCR. If you are coming without all the household products, just bring your personal belonging and necessary paperwork and some money to keep you going - probably about LB1000 until you can open up a bank account and get the rest transferred. Oh and don't forget to bring the family, after a few wines you may forget :D

delicious Dec 3rd 2002 3:57 am

I dont know where you are going in Oz but there are some useful sites to check out.
www.aussiemove.com.au
www.lets-perth.com