Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to take and what not to take to Oz

What to take and what not to take to Oz

Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:50 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to take and what not to take to Oz

Is there anything you regret not taking with you to Oz or regret taking with you as you could of simply replaced it once you got there? Is there anything you would recommend taking with you in your luggage instead of shipping over?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all
Default Re: What to take and what not to take to Oz

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Is there anything you regret not taking with you to Oz or regret taking with you as you could of simply replaced it once you got there? Is there anything you would recommend taking with you in your luggage instead of shipping over?
Hi Killamarsh

Would like to know also.
Think all the UK Australians will be in bed just now.
Need to bump this up later so they can read it.

Beth
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

We have just purchased a laptop to take with us in our luggage, also a games
console for the kids!

I have just started doing boot sales to get rid of some stuff, i.e. christmas
decorations, clothes (the big, thick, warm kind ). Our house is on the
market at the moment and we have just done a list of our furniture to sell
with the house.

Melissa
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
We have just purchased a laptop to take with us in our luggage, also a games
console for the kids!

I have just started doing boot sales to get rid of some stuff, i.e. christmas
decorations, clothes (the big, thick, warm kind ). Our house is on the
market at the moment and we have just done a list of our furniture to sell
with the house.

Melissa
Hi Melissa

Thinking of doing car boot sale.
Do you think its worth the hassle.

Beth
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:28 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

Help desperatly wanted too! We are preparing to move to Melbourne and are boxing up all our stuff. My partner is a hoarder and I'm a 'the best way to tidy is to bin it!' kinda guy. We are obviously having discussions about what is really essential.
The last thing we want to do is sell somthing and then regret not shipping it over.
What should we take, aside from washing machine, bed, clothes, memory stuff, sofa, and other furntiture?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:41 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I regretted not taking my parka (kiwi for a warm ventillated mac) and leggings.Costly but very good quality PVC
I thought it only drizzelled rain a little in winter. Truth is it can fair bucket down!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:43 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljk888
Help desperatly wanted too! We are preparing to move to Melbourne and are boxing up all our stuff. My partner is a hoarder and I'm a 'the best way to tidy is to bin it!' kinda guy. We are obviously having discussions about what is really essential.
The last thing we want to do is sell somthing and then regret not shipping it over.
What should we take, aside from washing machine, bed, clothes, memory stuff, sofa, and other furntiture?

Thanks
Remember Melbourne can get cold and rainy. So keep your winter gear.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Remember Melbourne can get cold and rainy. So keep your winter gear.
Also check your tv, video/dvd. Australia uses the PAL system for tv/vhs (US Videos don't work here! and 240 volts 2 or 3pin (think most heads can be changed on cords)

Your DVD player needs to be an ALL regions one. OZ/NZ use region 4. You can buy mutli zone dvd players here but take a region2 (UK) dvd along and test it works if looking to buy a dvd player here.

If you like Ben&Jerry's ice cream then eat up large before leaving as you
can't get it here as far as I know.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What to take and what not to take to Oz

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If you like Ben&Jerry's ice cream then eat up large before leaving as you can't get it here as far as I know.
I love it!!!!

Last week you had never heard of Ben and Jerrys and now you are recommending it to people!!!

The power of the Phish food.....................!!!

Karma to you, at least I would if the bl00dy karma machine would let me.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I love it!!!!

Last week you had never heard of Ben and Jerrys and now you are recommending it to people!!!

The power of the Phish food.....................!!!

Karma to you, at least I would if the bl00dy karma machine would let me.

Cheers

Buzzy
LOL Buzzy! try the karma thing tomorrow ! Not recommending it (I've never tried it or heard of it before) but am acknowledging it is big in UK
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:14 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljk888

Thanks
Your passports & Visa
Money
CV
Sense of humour
Everything else is excess baggage

Just kidding -We are also in West Sussex and leaving in 2/3 weeks too arrive Melbourne first week of May. Have treated the move as a chance too completely declutter. Although looking at all the boxes surrounding me it doesnt look like it.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

If your having a container bring every thing you can. It saves the expense of buying it new and time to concentrate on the important things like the beach and beer
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi Melissa

Thinking of doing car boot sale.
Do you think its worth the hassle.

Beth
Yep definately! I have done a few and have made about £40 - £60 each time, and it's stuff we do need to get rid of. So for about 3 hours standing
in the cold, people haggling over used wooden spoons it's definately
worth it just for the laugh!

Melissa
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mel n Daz
Yep definately! I have done a few and have made about £40 - £60 each time, and it's stuff we do need to get rid of. So for about 3 hours standing
in the cold, people haggling over used wooden spoons it's definately
worth it just for the laugh!

Melissa

Hi Melissa

Going to give it a try

Beth
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenjc
If your having a container bring every thing you can. It saves the expense of buying it new and time to concentrate on the important things like the beach and beer
I would agree with this........Clean, disinfect, scrub but bring everything you can.

We shipped 90% of our stuff, but still spent $10k's on new kit.

Also ship early and live off friends/family in the UK so you have it as soon as you arrive, much easier to live without in UK than Oz.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.