Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to take & what to leave? that is the question

Wikiposts

what to take & what to leave? that is the question

Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

cafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud of
Default Coat Hangers

That's because you keep buying clothes - very cheap compared to the UK!
Colin
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:51 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly 'cheap'
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:51 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Coat Hangers

Originally posted by cafa123
That's because you keep buying clothes - very cheap compared to the UK!
Colin
Uk clothes are cheaper than here.
You ought to see my suitcases coming back into Aus.

Ladies - I bought Bras's for 3 pounds
:scared: ..... knickers and bra set - 5 pounds

Wrangler Jeans 25 pounds (try $100 here.. what's that about 40 pounds)

Tops - 6 pounds

pack of mens cotton 6 socks - 3 pounds .

I couldn't get over how cheap Uk clothes were when I went back after living here in Au fgor 7 years.. I was like a mad woman.

to original poster - stock up on underwear!!! for gawds sake !
Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to take & what to leave? that is the question

Originally posted by Ceri

Cooker - I'd say leave it, sell it and if the cooker is not up to your scratch here, buy a new one from good guys.
Bring everything else with you (ie good furniture)

cheers
Disagree on this one. I've just bought a range cooker, gas top, leccy oven from the good guys and it certainly wasn't cheap:scared: Its not like getting a slot in, they are very costly.
If yours is only 18 months i would bring it, what size are the gas fittings on it? (electricity side will be fine as long as you get an electrician to do it of course)

As for wardrobes no, but chests of drawers yes as BIR have no drawes, i just don't know where you're expected to keep ya pants
Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

cafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud of
Default Cost of goods

All this chat about what is ceap or not - my fault as i started it in this thread. however you must compare apples and apples!!!

e.g. I've paid 3 pounds for a coffee in knightsbridge in a small cafe (not Harrods before you all shout) some 5 years ago, and 1.20 pounds for British Rial coffee (thats a contradiction in terms) - now, I can buy fresh good quality coffee in the Sydney CBD for $2.50 and get a discount card that is worth 50 cents each when I collect 20 - e.g 4 free coffees.

According to the international cost of living index - Sydney is far cheaper than London.

My rule of thumb is the cost of living is about $2 to the pound. So if you earn say 40k in the UK you would need to earn about $80k in Aus. Forget exchnage rates, it's waht the local money will buy that counts. If you can earn betetr than 2 to 1 then I think you will be in front IF you live in a comparable place.

A big mistake people make is to have lived in the UK, say 50 miles from London with an hour and a half commute, and an hour from the beach, and then compare it to Manly (on the beach and 15 minutes by jetcat to the city).

God this is bigger than Ben Hur
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of goods

Originally posted by cafa123
All this chat about what is ceap or not - my fault as i started it in this thread. however you must compare apples and apples!!!

OK , you're right

A$ 1,899.00

800 MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 800MHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

£849.00

800MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache (at 800MHz)
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB video memory
56K internal modem
AirPort Extreme ready

Comparing Apples with Apples it looks like the UK is more expensive.
Attached Thumbnails what to take & what to leave? that is the question-beautyshotibook2001.jpg