Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to take ... and what to leave.

What to take ... and what to leave.

Old Feb 4th 2003, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default What to take ... and what to leave.

I'm at the stage of considering what items to take to Aus and what to leave/sell off. I know TVs/Videos/Dvds(non-multi-region) etc are of little use, but what about other items - particularly white goods (fridges, freezers, washing machines, microwaves, etc), garage stuff (bikes, bbqs, lawnmowers etc)? Would you recommend taking these, or buying new(used) in Australia?
Old Feb 4th 2003, 2:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Also worth doing a search on this site for old information on this - there are lots of similiar threads with every opinion under the sun, including the size of toilet seats to bring!

My opinion still is bring the lot, I am back in the UK at the moment and buying loads of UK plug gangs for the items we cannot be arsed to change plugs for! . I still regret lots of things we did not bring. The kids have the old UK televisions and videos for their rooms (sod all to watch on telly anyway) and we had hundreds of videos we brought - the capacity for children to watch and rewatch the same thing is amazing.

I hate my aussie washing machine not enough spin for me, and my three oldish fridges are expensive to replace (need lots of cooling for the wine and beer!).

But do the search as well there is some good advice and tips for both taking and leaving.
Old Feb 4th 2003, 3:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take ... and what to leave.

Originally posted by kevmitch
I'm at the stage of considering what items to take to Aus and what to leave/sell off. I know TVs/Videos/Dvds(non-multi-region) etc are of little use, but what about other items - particularly white goods (fridges, freezers, washing machines, microwaves, etc), garage stuff (bikes, bbqs, lawnmowers etc)? Would you recommend taking these, or buying new(used) in Australia?
We're not taking much, but we are taking the washing machine and dryer because they are a good make plus all the Aussie washing machines are like the ones your grandma used to have.

An important thing to bear in mind with bikes, BBQs and anything that has been outside/in the garden is you have to thoroughly, I mean really thoroughly clean them. With a jetwash. Any rusty bits will not get through customs either.

A coat of Hammerite where appropriate works a treat I'm told.

Dan
Old Feb 4th 2003, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: What to take ... and what to leave.

I agree with others who say take everything you can. (Inlcuding TVs/VCRs/DVDs, you can get most DVDs chipped or software updated for less than £30). TV - Buy an Aussie VCR and use the tuner from that. And you can get TVs adapted for the sound and VHF differences. If you have an expensive widescreen TV prob worth doing. Fridge - probably will need a more efficient one but take it anyway.

Whatever you decide, remember one thing...it costs about 7 times the average cost to REPLACE the goods than it does to ship out. My example is a 20cuft container for a cost of £3500 with goods that would cost about £21K to replace.

Also, most houses are bigger than the UK so you will need stuff to fill the extra rooms. So take sofas, spare beds etc. , save a packet.

Anything outside, wouldn't bother. A kids bike could cost you $140 for example to replace.

Plus, you will need to buy a lot when you get there as shipping takes several weeks/months. I would buy the essentials in Oz with UK stuff as extras for other rooms e.g. bedrooms, family rooms, rumpus rooms etc.

I hope that helps.

Steve
Old Feb 4th 2003, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice
Default Re: What to take ... and what to leave.

I would also take everything you can (as we are). Modern multi region TVs should work ok and DVD players can be chipped hacked(see www.dvdreviewer.co.uk for player hacks). UK video player and tv can be used in kids rooms for playing tapes. Our 'white goods' are probably better (washing machine/dish washer). Unless that are past sell by date take them ! Maybe goods used outside lawnmowers/garden tools may be more trouble than they are worth ! If your household effects are in good order take it all It will cost you a lot more trying to replace it than it would shipping it over '' IN OUR OPINION'' Barry
Old Feb 4th 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Sorry to disagree, but we are taken no furniture, no white good's just 250cuft of personnal good's, kid's toy's,4 push bike's, 2 tv's,vcr.
We are planning on having a house built so wardrobe's will be walk-in, and to be quite honest are stuff is not that great so it would not suit a new house.

Sue
Old Feb 4th 2003, 9:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi,
Sorry to disagree, but we are taken no furniture, no white good's just 250cuft of personnal good's, kid's toy's,4 push bike's, 2 tv's,vcr.
We are planning on having a house built so wardrobe's will be walk-in, and to be quite honest are stuff is not that great so it would not suit a new house.

Sue
Your not on your own Sue we're selling just about everything and skipping/dumping the rest. Fresh start all round for us most of the houshold stuff is reaching the end of it's usable life we're hoping the washer, drier, dishwasher all last just a few more months so we don't have to replace them here.
White goods were very expensive in Aus at one time and it paid to ship your old but not so much now like everything else it's a cut-throat buisness.