Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to take in our suitcase?

What to take in our suitcase?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default What to take in our suitcase?

We are having shippers coming to put our stuff into storage whilst we wait for our visa to come through (please, no comments about how mad we are ) and would like to know if there is anything that we should keep to take with us for immediate usage. The list we have so far is as follows:
  • Diver's licences
  • CV's
  • Medical records
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Passports (obviously)
  • Some plug adaptors
Anything else that anyone can think of would be much appreciated.

Sarah
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: What to take in our suitcase?

Clothes

SS
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Clothes

SS
Yes, thank you - I hadn't thought of those
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
We are having shippers coming to put our stuff into storage whilst we wait for our visa to come through (please, no comments about how mad we are ) and would like to know if there is anything that we should keep to take with us for immediate usage. The list we have so far is as follows:
  • Diver's licences
  • CV's
  • Medical records
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Passports (obviously)
  • Some plug adaptors

Sarah

What are you going to plug into your plug adaptors? Your TRA letter, for getting an ARTC (if you've gone tra that is)
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Sorry - I just had to do it

SS
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gjn200
What are you going to plug into your plug adaptors? Your TRA letter, for getting an ARTC (if you've gone tra that is)
I'm taking some tetleys tea as i haven't found an Aussie brand that tickles my fancy yet. I guess I will have to work through every brand, that'll take forever, so I need a few comfort bags to get me started. I'm also taking a squeezy jar of Hellamans, god I love that stuff. i know the equivilent brand is Best Food or something, but I will need a jar in reserve in case it takes a while to find. Crap I sound like a food nut

We will only have one case each, I'm going to have to vacpac our clothes so we can fit more in. We are sending some clothes as well as the rest of our flat a head of us. We will also send a few boxes just before we leave. it's a logistical nightmare.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a list of things that we found useful to have (or we wish we'd brought) in the first few weeks in this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=things+list

You might want to think about scanning those (and other?) important documents listed below and uploading them to an internet email account with storage space. That way, if your cases go AWOL, you still have copies immediately to hand.

And on that top tip of the day, I'm outta here.

GG

• Diver's licences
  • CV's
  • Medical records
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Passports (obviously)
  • Some plug adaptors

Sarah
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:20 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

• Diver's licences
  • CV's
  • Medical records
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Passports (obviously)
  • Some plug adaptors

Sarah

Personally i would take Drivers Licenses, Med records and any certificates as hand luggage - additionally insurance policies as hand luggage too.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:00 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

anyone took any tools?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:38 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Well FWIW Mrs R took her scissors (she's a hairdresser). Had them in her hand luggage and realized she had to put them in her case (she was bricking it that the case got lost). I myself put an ADSL router and wireless access point in my hand luggage so I could get up and running "on't tiniternet" asap.

Just as an aside a laptop does not count as hand luggage so you are allowed to take one as well as a piece of hand luggage.

I agree with Wargod important docs should go in hand luggage or as we did in a small travel bag that had all docs and money etc in. Just never let go of it until we got home.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:38 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Me?

D D
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:41 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by pako
I'm taking some tetleys tea as i haven't found an Aussie brand that tickles my fancy yet.
I used to enjoy the Bushells Extra Strong, not sure if you have tried these?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:01 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
I'm taking some tetleys tea as i haven't found an Aussie brand that tickles my fancy yet. I'm also taking a squeezy jar of Hellamans, god I love that stuff. i know the equivilent brand is Best Food or something, but I will need a jar in reserve in case it takes a while to find.
If you take teabags with you make sure you declare it at customs.

And, sorry to have to tell you, but you CANNOT take mayonnaise into Oz. If you try, customs will confiscate it and charge you for it to be destroyed.

Have a read through the info on this website:
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20

Gina
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:21 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you have kids but if you do keep a copy of their latest school report handy, also couple of examples of their work. Think this is more important if you are going private, we were asked for all of this at our local ss. The other reason it is useful is when your children are born between sep and dec and they could be suited to either years.

Mrs S
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:30 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

• Diver's licences
  • CV's
  • Medical records
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Passports (obviously)
  • Some plug adaptors

Sarah

dont put em in your suitcase...keep these important documents in your hand luggage.....less chance of em going missing that way!!!

sue

edit* sorry, didnt realise wargod had already said this!! that'll teach me to read the WHOLE thread before i dive in with a reply!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.