Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is this swarm of bugs in Brisbane area??

What is this swarm of bugs in Brisbane area??

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Default What is this swarm of bugs in Brisbane area??

Hi All,

Is everyone else covered in these large black beetle type bugs when they go out???
I just went out into the garden to hang out my washing and within 10 seconds all my clothes we smothered in them!
They were around in Sunday, and are back again today....ugh
Tanya
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:10 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is this swarm of bugs in Brisbane area??

Nope how big are they?

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
Hi All,

Is everyone else covered in these large black beetle type bugs when they go out???
I just went out into the garden to hang out my washing and within 10 seconds all my clothes we smothered in them!
Tanya
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin
Nope how big are they?
about a cm long....
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:18 pm

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope they stay where you are, don't think I would like to ride into a swarm of them on my way home

about a cm long....
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themerlin
Well I hope they stay where you are, don't think I would like to ride into a swarm of them on my way home
Yes, I just tried to attach a pic I have taken, but can't seem to do it....ugh, they were all over me whilst I was trying to photograph them.....mmm, think I'll stay in today.....
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I just tried to attach a pic I have taken, but can't seem to do it....ugh, they were all over me whilst I was trying to photograph them.....mmm, think I'll stay in today.....

Just looked out of the window on the other side of the house, and the pool is full of dead ones floating on the surface....nice
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:57 pm

Another reason for them to keep away

Just looked out of the window on the other side of the house, and the pool is full of dead ones floating on the surface....nice
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403494

Hi All,

Tanya
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luma
not sure that the legs are as long as those on that picture...
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not read all the replies but it sounds like they are Christmas Beetles also known as white beetles because they like white stuff to sit on - and why they cover the washing. Harmless, made my daughter itch but she did get covered in them at school but wasn't bitten or anything.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not read all the replies but it sounds like they are Christmas Beetles also known as white beetles because they like white stuff to sit on - and why they cover the washing. Harmless, made my daughter itch but she did get covered in them at school but wasn't bitten or anything.
Sounds right!
All my white clothes are now covered in brown marks...ugh.
Everything alse was fine.
Thanks,
Tanya
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep = Xmas Bugs ... distant relative of the May Bugs you used to get in the UK. Though May Bugs were the size of an Airbus 380.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yep = Xmas Bugs ... distant relative of the May Bugs you used to get in the UK. Though May Bugs were the size of an Airbus 380.
Methinks you exaggerate just a teensy weensy bit I certainly don't remember an airbus landing on my washing, although we were close to Luton Airport and they did get quite low sometimes
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Methinks you exaggerate just a teensy weensy bit I certainly don't remember an airbus landing on my washing, although we were close to Luton Airport and they did get quite low sometimes
he is a bloke pen, they all exaggerate about size
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by northernbird
he is a bloke pen, they all exaggerate about size
Doh! sorry, silly me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.