Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a strange thought....

Wikiposts

What a strange thought....

Old May 14th 2005, 7:09 am
Party Pom

Yorkshire will become famous soon enoughYorkshire will become famous soon enough
Default What a strange thought....

Hi,

This might seem crazy and obvious question, but.....

In Aus, Do you buy a house with a North facing garden to get all the sun, as you would by a south facing one in UK

I know, silly question, but my head coggs are turning.

Yorkie
Old May 14th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: What a strange thought....

Originally Posted by Yorkshire
Hi,

In Aus, Do you buy a house with a North facing garden to get all the sun, as you would by a south facing one in UK

Yorkie

yes yes u need to look for a norht facing one!!!! i was astonished the first time!!!

fabie
Old May 14th 2005, 9:12 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yorkie
From what I have seen, a great proportion of properties have a northeasterly facing aspect.
Old May 14th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
From what I have seen, a great proportion of properties have a northeasterly facing aspect.
Yes, north-east is the best aspect for living rooms. Gets the morning sun but not the baking, westerly, afternoon sun which is to be avoided.

There are screeds written on orienting a house. To get the best aspect (so you get minimal heat in summer and max heat in winter), you have to take into account: latitude, window height, eave width, what type of trees to plant for optimum shade/sunlight etc. It goes on and on..
Old May 15th 2005, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

txmogga is an unknown quantity at this point

This reminded me of a visit to Brisbane in 2000 that included a bus tour to Mount Coot-tha. I recall the guide pointing out the headstones on the graves and that most or all of them faced in the same direction. However, I couldn't hear the explanation of why due to the party atmosphere on the bus! So, I am curious, is this common throughout Australia and does anyone know the explanation?

txmogga
Old May 15th 2005, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Hi,

Yorkie
I'm glad you asked that! I ws thinking the exact same thign as I was sitting in a south facing garden loving the sunshine...

SS
Old May 15th 2005, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
I'm glad you asked that! I ws thinking the exact same thign as I was sitting in a south facing garden loving the sunshine...

SS

If you have an acreage, the direction your gardens face becomes a bit irrelevant.

I'm not being smug, cos I DONT have an acreage. But I got told that by an estate agent when we were viewing an acreage property. Condescending look and all that from the estate agent. Got the Silly boy, stupid question look

JTL
Old May 15th 2005, 7:50 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

we dropped in lucky with ours, the house sits facing more easterly than north easterly (ne-e?) It'll be great in summer coz it also sits in the shadow of a mountain, but it's gonna be bluddy freezing this winter as the shadow drops the temperature faster and earlier during the evening.

It's a lot more important over here to consider which way your house faces when you buy one... something i couldn't give two hoots about back in the UK.

Old May 15th 2005, 11:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
we dropped in lucky with ours, the house sits facing more easterly than north easterly (ne-e?) It'll be great in summer coz it also sits in the shadow of a mountain, but it's gonna be bluddy freezing this winter as the shadow drops the temperature faster and earlier during the evening.

It's a lot more important over here to consider which way your house faces when you buy one... something i couldn't give two hoots about back in the UK.

yeah, but when you own acreage the size of canberra (like someone i could mention ) you can always have a couple of houses built to face whatever direction you like!!!!
Old May 16th 2005, 7:54 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
yeah, but when you own acreage the size of canberra (like someone i could mention ) you can always have a couple of houses built to face whatever direction you like!!!!
come on it's not that big! Tammy said we should walk round the boundaries when we get the keys to check all the fencing and stuff,.... hmm i told her i better start going to the gym again then..
Old May 16th 2005, 8:25 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by txmogga
This reminded me of a visit to Brisbane in 2000 that included a bus tour to Mount Coot-tha. I recall the guide pointing out the headstones on the graves and that most or all of them faced in the same direction. However, I couldn't hear the explanation of why due to the party atmosphere on the bus! So, I am curious, is this common throughout Australia and does anyone know the explanation?
"Most of the bodies were buried facing west, according to the Christian believe of the time that on Judgment Day the dead would thereby be facing in the expected direction of the Second Coming of Christ."

"The general criteria for determining a burial as Christian are orientation of head towards west, no grave goods and burial into sanctified ground. The head of the body had to be oriented towards the west, facing east, where Christ was believed to appear on doomsday."
Old May 19th 2005, 8:45 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
come on it's not that big! Tammy said we should walk round the boundaries when we get the keys to check all the fencing and stuff,.... hmm i told her i better start going to the gym again then..

.....and take a fortnight off work just to make sure you get round it all!!!!

last i heard, donnie council were looking for a huge site to build a new illegal immigrant detention centre...so i sent em your address
btw, pm me your new address......

xxx