Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

At what stage do you put your house on the market?

Wikiposts

At what stage do you put your house on the market?

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:21 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At what stage do you put your house on the market?

For those of you who have gone or are just about to...when did you put your house on the market? Once they ask for medicals and police checks, etc, as long as you have no record, you're as good as in, arent you? We are panicing as we have to sell our house to raise the bond...what should we do?
Lucy
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

This worries me also. I have no idea how long you should allow to successfully sell your house/complete etc.

We don't want this to be the sticking point when we come to move early next year.

I have to say that if there is any time constraints to which you're working I would get it sold asap. But then I have my VISA already which makes it slightly clearer.

You can always find somewhere short term to live if needs be..

Once they ask for your medicals etc then perhaps you should get your skates on. How long after the VISA is approved do you have to transfer the bond money?
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

We put ours on the market straight after we received the Grant Letter. However in retrospect, we think we left it a bit late, as DIMIA started counting the year to validate our visa's as soon as we received approval for our STNI entry (about 4 months before we got the Grant Letter).
Hope you have better luck with your buyer than we have. Our buyer/solicitors are hopeless ditherers and after putting the house on the market in late Feb, getting the offer in mid March it looks like we will not complete till mid August. We are meant to be headed to Melbourne in September and we need the cash from the house sale to fund the trip out. Fingers crossed.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Neil S
after putting the house on the market in late Feb, getting the offer in mid March it looks like we will not complete till mid August.
gulp.

this is what frightens me.
:scared:

hope it all works out perfectly for you.

olive
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:46 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

It is slighly scary, I agree. So should we take the gamble....if they ask for our police and meds we're in arent we??? SHould I get the house valued now? We lodge our Visa application on July 1 so am I being presumptious?:scared:
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by lucyb
It is slighly scary, I agree. So should we take the gamble....if they ask for our police and meds we're in arent we??? SHould I get the house valued now? We lodge our Visa application on July 1 so am I being presumptious?:scared:

P'raps you could get a few quotes in now so you at least know who you want to use and what your budget will be...

I got 4 quotes last year (out of date now) and they did vary wildly...
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Off2Oz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult call. Depends whether you are a worrier/superstitious.

We waited until we got the visas, but were very lucky with offers from all four viewers on first day. Having said that, that was at Easter and we haven't exchanged yet!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

jayne+doug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Olive101
P'raps you could get a few quotes in now so you at least know who you want to use and what your budget will be...

I got 4 quotes last year (out of date now) and they did vary wildly...
Hi

My visa application was lodged on 21 April 2004 and I'm thinking of putting my house on the market next month sometime. I know it's a bit of a gamble as I haven't even had med req. but I'm a nurse so hope to get request Aug/Sept. I am quiet happy to sell my house and move to rented accomodation until I'm ready to go. I think it will make the stress of moving slightly easier also. I'm also concerened that the housing market is going to crash within the next 6 months and as I need all the equity I can get I'm willing to take the gamble. If I don't get my visa? Well I'll just have to look for another house.

Jayne
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: At what stage do you put your house on the market?

For those of you who have gone or are just about to...when did you put your house on the market? Once they ask for medicals and police checks, etc, as long as you have no record, you're as good as in, arent you? We are panicing as we have to sell our house to raise the bond...what should we do?
Lucy
Hi Lucy

We haven't had our med request yet but have house on market (sold stc) but one of the problems is you only get 49 days to pay bond, once requested ,which is not long in the house selling GAME as most could vouch on here. The alternative is to release some capital on mortgage to pay bond.
Hope this helps. Good luck

Lindsey
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the latter....have the money sitting in the bank!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:48 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Waited for our Medical Request then put it on, 9 weeks later and still haven't exchanged but got the visas in the passports and hope to be gone by middle of August, its hard to know but with the house market falling off at the moment as soon as the medicals are requested I would get it on......
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:25 am
Just Joined

FOREST FANS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayne+doug
Hi

My visa application was lodged on 21 April 2004 and I'm thinking of putting my house on the market next month sometime. I know it's a bit of a gamble as I haven't even had med req. but I'm a nurse so hope to get request Aug/Sept. I am quiet happy to sell my house and move to rented accomodation until I'm ready to go. I think it will make the stress of moving slightly easier also. I'm also concerened that the housing market is going to crash within the next 6 months and as I need all the equity I can get I'm willing to take the gamble. If I don't get my visa? Well I'll just have to look for another house.

Jayne
We're in same situation as you, lodged main visa app in Feb, not had any requests etc. but willing to take gamble. We have been watching market for last few months, and think definitely slowing in our area. Can't afford to lose even £10k in reduced housing profit.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default sell, sell, sell!

Put it on the market NOW!
especially if you have to lodge the bond money as we did! i work in an estate agents and know for a fact that things slow down in the housing market once the kids are on summer holidays, so get it on the market asap!
regarding doing a remortgage to raise the bond money, it took us 4 weeks to do this, what with the paperwork etc, so if you think you may need to do it get it sorted sooner rather than later
Best of luck to you all
Rach x
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:43 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

ASAP..............You'll have the visa's , before you get anywhere near signing over your house !!!

all the best plum

ps you can always request a time extention for the bond monies

Last edited by plumber; Jun 22nd 2004 at 4:47 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Wolves2stayup! will become famous soon enough

We're in the same situ as most others. We have just put our house on the market, hopefully have a buyer - but we had meds on the 26/5 and I've just e-mailed the case officer to say that we're putting house on market are we being a bit presumptious and she's e-mailed back saying we haven't had meds yet. So I've just this minute been in touch with surgery who say they sent meds on 8/6 which was two weeks ago.

Does anyone know how long it takes for meds to get from A 2 B?

Bit worried myself now!!

:scared: Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.