Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What sort of wood is allowed through customs with getting a spray

What sort of wood is allowed through customs with getting a spray

Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:00 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default What sort of wood is allowed through customs with getting a spray

The missus has a couple of books and paperwork as well as a picture frame to pack, are these ok.

The picture frame is mdf and is painted or sprayed and is only thin, it has a cardboard back on the frame, is this allowed or will it be sprayed or destroyed. Just seeing how pinickety they are by personal experience.

Yes i can read the aquis website but we alll know that whats written and whats practised if often different

thanks

al
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What sort of wood is allowed through customs with getting a spray

Originally Posted by alkristensen
The missus has a couple of books and paperwork as well as a picture frame to pack, are these ok.

The picture frame is mdf and is painted or sprayed and is only thin, it has a cardboard back on the frame, is this allowed or will it be sprayed or destroyed. Just seeing how pinickety they are by personal experience.

Yes i can read the aquis website but we alll know that whats written and whats practised if often different

thanks

al
Hi i don't think that is a problem - we took loads of stuff through someone on here will know for def! We weren't allowed to bring a wicker chair or boxes though but there just cheap anyway!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:53 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

We are in the same position, going through all our belongings etc. I have family in South Africa and have lots of memorabilia from when I have been there on holiday - masks, wooden figuirines, xmas decs etc. Am wondering if these will make it through but will be very sad to leave them behind.

I have read through the list but it doesnt seem to be set in stone, I might give them a ring and ask for their opinion.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

We have just had the removal company round last week to give us a quote, and they say we can take wicker and wood as long as it has been cleaned, (if it has been in the garden,), and if we are prepared for customs to charge us for spraying it when it gets there, or paying for it to be destroyed if they decide we cannot take it into the country. Just weighing up cost against how much items means to us sentimentaly before making a decision really.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen

thanks

al
If its just as you describe, it'll all be fine - mdf is no problem, nor are books

Originally Posted by VikkiL
We are in the same position, going through all our belongings etc. I have family in South Africa and have lots of memorabilia from when I have been there on holiday - masks, wooden figuirines, xmas decs etc. Am wondering if these will make it through but will be very sad to leave them behind.

I have read through the list but it doesnt seem to be set in stone, I might give them a ring and ask for their opinion.
The African stuff may well not get through, if its untreated African wood they may be very suspicious of it. Its possible they will fumigate it, but they may not allow it even then. Emailing AQIS would be the best route.
Christmas decs are always treated with suspicion - they look for pine cones, and will destroy them on sight - no treating there, they contain seeds and so are destroyed.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Anyone know if Mango wood is OK to clear customs as we have about 2k of the stuff and dont really want to be leaving it behind.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Anyone know if Mango wood is OK to clear customs as we have about 2k of the stuff and dont really want to be leaving it behind.
If it's been treated and sealed it should be ok. It's untreated raw wood products that they are interested in.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:07 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Sorry to ask but I haven't got a clue! what's the deal on the customs guys spraying things?

But what dose this spraying do?
Why is it a problem to get things sprayed?
How much dose this spraying cost?

Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Crikey, my book shelf, dining table, occasional tables, bed and night stands are all made of India origin wood. I wouldn't have though of leaving them behind and would agree to them being fumigated because it makes up the majority of the furniture I'd be taking.

Having also lived in South Africa for 11 years and collected many memento's, I'd also want to keep these with me through life because they're part of my life experience, so would hope to have these fumigated at the same time.

Is there a web site on what you can or can't take with you and what is acceptable as 'home treated' such as using disinfectants? Because I think I may need advice!

Cheryl
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevenChez
Crikey, my book shelf, dining table, occasional tables, bed and night stands are all made of India origin wood. I wouldn't have though of leaving them behind and would agree to them being fumigated because it makes up the majority of the furniture I'd be taking.

Having also lived in South Africa for 11 years and collected many memento's, I'd also want to keep these with me through life because they're part of my life experience, so would hope to have these fumigated at the same time.

Is there a web site on what you can or can't take with you and what is acceptable as 'home treated' such as using disinfectants? Because I think I may need advice!

Cheryl
www.aqis.gov.au

Also do a search on here and read through previous threads on AQIS and fumigation.

They don't like wood from (especially) African/Asian countries because of the pests that may be in it. Anything that may contain seeds is destroyed - hence don't try and bring Christmas Decs with fir cones.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by VikkiL

We had some wind chimes from SA, (We did'nt even want them, they were packed in error by shipping company) and they were picked out and we was told it had bora activity and cost us $190 to be sprayed. so I would be very careful
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough

Do you think they will allow oak furniture through ok?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andym79
Do you think they will allow oak furniture through ok?
If it has been treated and sealed then yes you can bring oak furniture. My bedroom and dining room sets are both made of antique pine, complete with worm holes and they got through ok. Look at the AQIS link Polly posted.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:40 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
We had some wind chimes from SA, (We did'nt even want them, they were packed in error by shipping company) and they were picked out and we was told it had bora activity and cost us $190 to be sprayed. so I would be very careful
Thanks for that, will email AQIS for advice I think.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:43 am
In Aus and loving it!

Originally Posted by StevenChez

I didnt worry too much about my SA souvenirs, the newest one I have is 16 years old so didnt think it would be a problem but it appears that we will struggle to get them through doesnt it? I am going to email AQIS with a request for some advice. Good luck with yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.